Old video tapes

Boz Fri 20-Aug-21 17:11:05

Has anyone information on how to dispose of old video tapes. Apparently they are unwanted by Charity Shops and not wanted for recycling.

BlueBelle Fri 20-Aug-21 17:16:06

No not wanted at charity shops as no one uses them any more
Just have to throw away unfortunately, unless someone has a clever idea in what they can be used for

Alegrias1 Fri 20-Aug-21 17:28:04

There was a chap on the news the other night who is creating an archive of old VHS tapes. He drove from Liverpool to Dundee to collect a particularly big collection. Might be an option?

Here he is : www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsliverpool/liverpool-shop-owner-embarking-on-600-mile-drive-to-save-20000-vhs-tapes-from-landfill/ar-AANt7D0?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Boz Fri 20-Aug-21 19:11:32

I shall contact this Guy in Toxteth; no problem as GD is at University in Liverpool and will run around for me. He can have the player as well.
Most of my stuff is classic dramas and comedy.
I will bin the stuff I recorded myself but hopefully can usefully pass the box sets on.

Thank you Allegrias.

JaneJudge Fri 20-Aug-21 19:12:43

put them on freecycle or facebook marketplace?

MayBee70 Fri 20-Aug-21 19:17:19

I’ve got boxes full of old videos that I don’t want to throw out. I find things like old adverts in them really fascinating. I’ll check out that link.

Maggiemaybe Fri 20-Aug-21 19:20:45

I'll check it as well. I've loads of the things, just hoping that one day someone will come up with a way of recycling them. I hate sending things to landfill. sad

Alegrias1 Fri 20-Aug-21 19:33:13

Sounds perfect Boz. Let us know how you get on!

nexus63 Fri 20-Aug-21 20:50:14

i love my video collection, i have about 300, i don't even own a dvd player, most are old films, some never came out on dvd.

Hellogirl1 Fri 20-Aug-21 21:37:53

I`m looking for someone local to transfer our home videos to dvd, all the actual films I got rid of long ago, at car boot sales.

MayBee70 Fri 20-Aug-21 22:03:32

Max Spielman shops will do that for you. I actually bought a video recorder that also transferred tapes to discs but never worked out how to use it!

Chestnut Fri 20-Aug-21 23:20:29

The problem with old video tapes is how long they will actually last. The tape degrades over time and they will not last for ever. I imagine some tapes have been around 30 years or more by now.

Chestnut Fri 20-Aug-21 23:26:54

MayBee70

I had a video/DVD recorder and did transfer some tapes to DVD disks. But to be honest the picture quality on video tape is not great and it's better to buy them again on DVD which are usually very cheap for old movies and have a much better picture quality. Also, the professional recordings are far better than recordings you do at home due to the equipment used.

MayBee70 Fri 20-Aug-21 23:47:44

It was mainly for tv programmes that I’d recorded over the years. I’ve got a really old VGS of The Princess Bride that I rescued when my SIL was going to throw it out. I wonder if it’s worth anything? I did get my daughters dance school shows put onto dvd and we had a bit of fun one Christmas watching them.

Calendargirl Sat 21-Aug-21 07:13:16

I have put two boxes of videos in the black bin this week. They have been sitting in state in the loft for many years, DH’s precious James Bond collection which when lined up on the bookshelf formed a continuous sequence, plus John Wayne and Clint Eastwood specials.

Such a shame, but what is the point in keeping them, particularly as nowadays you can access many films at the drop of a hat?

Chestnut Sat 21-Aug-21 09:23:57

MayBee70 There are a few videos that are irreplaceable and probably worth transferring. I transferred this 1989 version of Great Expectations to disk because it has never been put on DVD and is absolutely the best version. Quite long and is said to be the most accurate and true to the book. I still have the video but should sell it because it's rather rare. There are so many other versions on DVD but not this one!

MayBee70 Sat 21-Aug-21 10:21:20

I’ve never heard of that version. Jean Simmonds was beautiful. She’s in one of my old film annuals. Crikey, that film is 5 hours long.

Chestnut Sat 21-Aug-21 14:06:20

It's not a film, it's a TV mini series with six episodes of 50 minutes. Especially interesting because Jean Simmons is playing old Miss Havisham and in the 1946 John Mills movie she played a very beautiful young Estella. For some reason this 1989 version has been completely ignored which is crazy.
PS: I can sell the video to anyone interested. It is very rare 😁

Cabbie21 Sat 21-Aug-21 14:18:17

I have just found some long forgotten cassette tapes of classical music, first rate in their day. I cant bear the thought of going to landfill.