Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ideas DGD to stay for the night in caravan !

(17 Posts)
basslady Sat 21-Aug-21 09:03:15

Hi Gransnetters

DH and I are taking nearly 3 year old DGD to our caravan in Wales for one night for the first time. Easy to entertain her outside, beach etc however any ideas for keeping her entertained in a small space ?
We will Facetime her parents of course. Thanks in Advance

lemongrove Sat 21-Aug-21 09:18:15

Easy board games? Snakes and ladders etc.
A drawing pad and colouring things, sticker books, any children's picture books and children’s books for you to read to her.Educational but fun games on the ipad?

beth20 Sat 21-Aug-21 09:23:47

A small treasure box with a couple of big shiny buttons, shells, large coins, bits and bobs (too big to swallow) kept ours busy for quite a while - she shared it with the teddy she brought with her as well as with us.

Kamiso Sat 21-Aug-21 09:25:42

www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/games We used to play some of these with our grandsons. Enjoy your time with her.

Our little grandchildren are currently into stickers.

Lidl have some wax crayons this week which show the colour well.

Ashcombe Sat 21-Aug-21 09:33:58

Reciting nursery rhymes, singing songs, counting games.

A Google search produced many suitable videos to help although all seemed to be produced in America with some changes to usual tunes.

Grannynannywanny Sat 21-Aug-21 09:49:09

When my 4 GC were that age they all loved these magic colouring books. The invisible pictures and patterns are already on the pages. It comes with a little pen that you fill with water and the pictures magically appear when you draw with the water pen. Better still they are reusable as the pictures disappear again when dry.

MawBe Sat 21-Aug-21 09:56:22

Colouring is always popular and maybe a simple game like Old McDonalds Lotto or Shopping List (both Orchard Toys from the long river company)
And gin for you.

basslady Sat 21-Aug-21 10:39:50

These are all brilliant thank you. Especially love the Gin idea xx

Witzend Sat 21-Aug-21 10:43:00

A ‘magic’ painting book (water only needed) went down well with my Gdd at that sort of age. Especially if it had pics of fairies. Funny that my totally non-girly dd produced a very typically girly daughter!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 21-Aug-21 10:53:47

We took our gd camping in a tent when she was just 3. All she wanted todo in her little house as she called it was sit and colour and talk. So I suggest some good colouring books and pencils and if it’s pencils don’t forget the sharpener as mine loved using it. Enjoy.

Farmor15 Sat 21-Aug-21 10:59:46

Another recommendation for a few games from Orchard Toys. They come in small boxes and can be played in different ways to suit age of child. Sturdy cardboard and reasonably priced.

Lillie Sat 21-Aug-21 11:05:08

lots of singing and storytelling
books and colouring

the trouble with too many fiddly bit and toys like lego is there isnt much space in a caravan to bend down and grovel on the floor to pick up the mess
so keep tidy and have fun

beth20 Sat 21-Aug-21 19:21:40

Play dough is usually a soothing activity.
I hope you all have a lovely time away.

MamaCaz Sat 21-Aug-21 20:11:34

A pack of Snap cards - you use them in lots of ways apart from the intended game. My dgd at that age (only a few months ago) liked to match up all the matching cards on the table or floor, and we also played a simple memory game using just a part of the pack.
I spy was good too, using colours (I spy something ... green etc.)

Mine also loves to dance, so even in the limited space of our motorhome, it was worth having a few music CDs with us for her to dance along to. She turned out to be a big fan of Buddy Holly grin

Chardy Sat 21-Aug-21 22:52:29

Type 'free memory games for kids' into Playstore (or wherever you get apps from).
DGD particularly likes the one with Peppa Pig cards which also has Paw Patrol cards. Varying degrees of difficulty btw!

NotSpaghetti Sun 22-Aug-21 07:02:06

Having lived in a caravan for several months with a 3 year old we found jigsaws really popular - buying a new one was a big treat.
Also, books.ots of these.

Depending on space, I'd just pack what she likes at home.

TillyTrotter Sun 22-Aug-21 07:14:47

Fuzzy felt, a Sylvanian family, Snap cards, magic drawing board and magic painting.