Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Oral sex.

(230 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Fri 10-Sep-21 20:16:39

Perhaps I had a sheltered life but I never heard of this growing up or with any boyfriends. It wasn't until a girls holiday when I was about 40 that my friend told me she had tried it and another friend said her husband had tried but she didn't like it.
I found it hard to believe that people actually did it but now it seems one of the most common things young people do.

Jackiest Mon 20-Sep-21 18:26:17

Had to google that bit from the bible as I did not think it could be that bad. it is Genesis 3.1.6. It is about time someone went through the bible and removed sexist bits and any other nasty bits.

Elegran Mon 20-Sep-21 19:44:39

No, leave them there as evidence of the past so that people can see how far we have come from old attitudes, and know to avoid falling into them again. At the same time, make sure that no-one takes the stories as "Gospel truth" of how we should be treating one another but instead realises that it is a demonstration of how badly we can treat one another.

Jackiest Mon 20-Sep-21 20:26:46

Elegran

No, leave them there as evidence of the past so that people can see how far we have come from old attitudes, and know to avoid falling into them again. At the same time, make sure that no-one takes the stories as "Gospel truth" of how we should be treating one another but instead realises that it is a demonstration of how badly we can treat one another.

Yes you are right we should learn from history. So go through it and highlight all the bad bits in red.

Elegran Tue 21-Sep-21 09:16:02

The same applies in some well-known books from the past, where a character says or does something that shocks us today. If we delete that passage, we would never know that at that time it was considered OK. Besides, it may be an important part of the plot that they behaved in such a way, and removing it completely changes the meaning of the story.

After all, we are capable of reading a gory murder mystery without believing that murder is a legitimate way to solve a relationship problem. If someone does take that message from it, it is because something in them is already warped by real life.