Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dog boarding kennels and holidays

(80 Posts)
bytheway Thu 23-Sep-21 08:23:06

Last year we got a puppy, she is the most adorable dog and we are very close.

I had wanted a dog for ever but due to working full time felt it was unfair, anyway I finally retired last year and we got a puppy.

Part of the pleasure of retirement was that we like to travel and could go away at a moments notice…which we do…travelling and finding accommodation with our pup has been easy but I have found that whilst we are away there are lots of things we can’t do with a pup.

We can’t wander round shops, go into stately homes, go out for meals etc etc…

I have considered leaving her in a boarding kennel but every breath in my body tells me she would hate it…and I would spend my holiday worried sick.

At home she has loads of attention, is very sociable but is scared of big dogs she doesn’t know or large groups of dogs. She is a toy Cavapoo so quite a small dog.

I have no one else who could look after her.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you get over it?

AlexG Mon 27-Sep-21 11:08:54

If you are going to put her in kennels, start by a short stay like a weekend. Then she will know you come back, rather than the first time being a week or longer. This was the advice of our vet and very sensible

GillT57 Mon 27-Sep-21 13:18:17

Please don't make a rod for your own back by never leaving your dog alone, they need to get used to it, and they need their rest. Our dog is quite elderly now, but we used to put her in a lovely kennels, family run, clean and tidy, and she used to run in without a backward glance. I love my dog, but she is a dog, and I am a bit uncomfortable with people talking about their dog needing constant attention, duvets, sofas, cushions etc, our dog has a lovely comfy basket in the sitting room, and never goes on a sofa or a chair, thus when we have taken her away to the occasional dog friendly hotel we are confident that she is not on the bed in our absence. A dog is a huge commitment, and they give a lot back, but they live a long time, and unless you plan on never going abroad/staying with friends or family who are unable to accomodate your dog, I would recommend that you get him/her used to being away from you, a day at a time to start.

Eloethan Tue 28-Sep-21 00:23:36

GillT57 I absolutely agree with you. Provided a dog gets at least one good walk a day (though we took ours twice), and is well fed and looked after, I don't think it's a great hardship to them if they are left. We could leave our dog for several hours and he just went to sleep (actually, we discovered he went to sleep on the sofa, which he never did when we were at home - crafty boy!).

It is important not to make a dog feel anxious about being left. Cesar (American dog trainer) used to say not to make any fuss at all when you leave the house because it alerts the dog to something odd, and possibly worrying, happening.

Smurf52 Wed 29-Sep-21 19:31:19

There are books you can buy and websites for dog friendly establishments.

www.dogfriendlybritain.co.uk/d/dog-friendly-dog-days-out/4/1/