Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Running The gift shop gauntlet!!

(119 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sun 26-Sep-21 17:58:26

My darling GD is 5, nearly 6. She is bright, clever, articulate but definitely knows her own mind and can be very determined and self willed. Her DPs ( my DD and SiL) are great parents. They are always doing things with their 2 DC, taking them out and giving them experiences. They also have full on NHS jobs and are really tired. The problem is that so many of the places they take them have the dreaded gift shop attached and it is often on the way out. This has become a real battle ground between my DD and DGD . It has spoilt many a day out for them as my DGD is not averse to throwing a real tantrum and having a total melt down if she can't have what she wants, which is invariably yet another cuddly toy (she has hundreds!). My DD is equally determined and self willed and reluctant to give way. And of course, by the end of any day out both mother and child are over tired and grumpy. Making "deals" before entering the dreaded shops , "you can have anything except a cuddly toy" don't seem to work. Have any of you found a way of running the gift shop gauntlet successfully?

Witzend Wed 29-Sep-21 10:59:43

Lucca

A thought just struck me, rather evil,
I quite enjoy indulging theGC at times in the knowledge that my ex, their grandfather, would never have allowed it, being as he was, closely related to Scrooge,

I don’t see what’s evil about that! More,like ?.

I dare say it’s different if you live around the corner and see Gdcs all the time, but it’s less often for us, and still less often that we’ll be in a gift shop. And if you can’t indulge Gdcs once in a while, I don’t know what the world is coming to.

MissAdventure Wed 29-Sep-21 12:51:23

I was just about to be smug about no meaning no.
Then I remembered a trip to the zoo, when my daughter refused to come out of a ball pond thing, and I had to go in and get her. blush

Josianne Wed 29-Sep-21 12:56:30

Positive, not negative, parenting and grandparenting can result in far less confrontation.
Funny, that is exactly what we are having drummed into us at puppy training class every week!!

Sara1954 Wed 29-Sep-21 15:26:12

I can’t actually see the problem with buying children a small thing in the gift shop, almost every one must do so, otherwise they wouldn’t be there.
Where’s the harm?

Bibbity Wed 29-Sep-21 16:01:38

I understand this is 5 pages in and this may be obsolete now.

But with my children I found that with things like this it was better to gave a discussion before hand.

So I would explain we are going to the zoo. We are going by car and will be able to do XYZ while there. And that we will be walking through the shop but we absolutely will not be buying anything at all.

I would then ask if they understood and ask them to repeat back what I said to make sure they got it.

On the day I would say we are leaving in 10 mins. Do you remember what I said? We Will be walking through the shops and not buying anything and I don't want you to ask at all.

It's not 100% but I did find this helped.

Lucca Wed 29-Sep-21 16:01:45

Thanks Witzend !
I don’t live near them so they do tend to get treats when I visit or they stay with me, I quite like now setting a budget and seeing them work out if they’d say like one thing for £8 or 2 for £4.
It’s educational don’t you know! And about my level for maths

Bibbity Wed 29-Sep-21 16:02:19

Sara1954

I can’t actually see the problem with buying children a small thing in the gift shop, almost every one must do so, otherwise they wouldn’t be there.
Where’s the harm?

Because then you end up with a house full of useless crap that they play with on the car journey home and never touch again.

Lucca Wed 29-Sep-21 16:04:17

They spend £5 on something daft. You have coffee and a tea cake for a similar amount and you don’t get to play with that again…..

Callistemon Wed 29-Sep-21 16:07:37

Bibbity

Sara1954

Where’s the harm?

Because then you end up with a house full of useless crap that they play with on the car journey home and never touch again.

If they have to buy it with their "own" money they might think twice next time about buying rubbish.

Sara1954 Wed 29-Sep-21 16:15:06

Bibbity
That is true, sometimes, not always.
But it’s not every day is it?
I agree it’s mostly rubbish, but in most gift shops you’ve only talking a few pounds, and it seems mean in my opinion to march them past without a glance.
We have bought them some really nice things in some places, it’s not all plastic rubbish.

MissAdventure Wed 29-Sep-21 16:25:58

For me, it was more about not instilling the expectation that every trip out had to involve buying a present.
It's about being grateful for what you've had, rather than expecting more.
It's an excellent life skill to learn.

Sara1954 Wed 29-Sep-21 16:36:19

Not all outings involve a gift shop, and I’m the first to admit, some of them are pretty bad, and even the children struggle to convince themselves they can’t live without another rubber snake, or a fridge magnet.
But a lot are really good shops, and sell things related to their outing, and it’s nice to have a memory of the day.
I still can’t see a problem with that

Lucca Wed 29-Sep-21 16:54:34

Nor me !

Callistemon Wed 29-Sep-21 19:25:19

The DGC aren't that interested in fridge magnets - it's me!

They are a memento of visits to lovely places.

MissAdventure Wed 29-Sep-21 19:32:06

Do you have a tantrum if you don't get one? grin

Callistemon Wed 29-Sep-21 19:55:43

Oh yes, I'm good at tantrums.
Apparently I had a great one in a cake shop years ago.
I was 40

(Sorry, I was 4 and my mother left me there.)

MissAdventure Wed 29-Sep-21 20:04:13

My girl always used to be bought back by people; holding their hand, and sobbing her heart out, while they coldly informed me that my child had been "lost". smile

Callistemon Wed 29-Sep-21 20:07:55

My now very placid DGD used to have amazing ones, she turned into a redfaced starfish on her back, arms and legs flailing everywhere.
They were a joy to behold.