Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Too many clothes

(23 Posts)
Aycee Thu 30-Sep-21 11:25:14

I have far too many clothes, varying from cheap to expensive. They are in good condition as I don’t wear them very often and I am not hard on them. Please advise me on good ways of choosing the clothes to keep and those to get rid of. I really dither about how I should deal with this. Thanks!!

Shinamae Thu 30-Sep-21 11:29:57

I have just done a major wardrobe purge and the charity shops are going to benefit immensely as there are new items including jeans and jumpers that I am dispensing with. I think the rule of thumb is that if you haven’t worn it for a year then get rid of it, I have put stuff to the charity bag that I have not worn for five years but was reluctant to let go of because it was “ too good to go to a charity shop“ but this time I have bitten the bullet and have four large bags ready to go..

Sara1954 Thu 30-Sep-21 11:48:54

You have to be ruthless, Shinamae is right, if you haven’t worn it for a year, you’re probably not going to.
The exception would be seasonal things like coats, which you only wear when it’s freezing!
I still have too much clothes however, some things I’ve never worn, this season I’m going to be extra ruthless.
I’ve still got bags of stuff stashed away from when the charity shops weren’t taking donations. I still don’t think they are all back to normal.

DanniRae Thu 30-Sep-21 11:49:39

Get a friend to come round - hold up each item and she/he says keep or charity shop. I did this for my daughter - she had a friend there as well - and we got through an amazing amount of stuff.
Of course don't include in this cull anything that you love and want to keep.
Good Luck!

Shinamae Thu 30-Sep-21 12:13:03

I’m in North Devon and all the charity shops that are actually open are taking donations (A couple have stayed closed because they cannot get staff)

glammanana Thu 30-Sep-21 12:13:40

The twelve month guideline is favourite when culling your wardrobe I do this every year,I do keep a separate suitcase with just holiday clothes I hardly ever buy new holiday stuff just get out the same old same old year after year,no one knows its not new for the holiday do they ?
The only items I do keep are my favourite jeans & boots some I have had for many years they are well worn in and comfy.

Sara1954 Thu 30-Sep-21 12:21:00

ShinaMae
I haven’t done the rounds, but the one I normally use, as it’s on my route to work, still has a sandwich board outside saying they aren’t taking donations.
By the way, north Devon is one of my most favourite places, lucky you.

Gymstagran Thu 30-Sep-21 12:24:09

Once you have decided and the friend option sounds good there are now many stores and options for recycling. I like the H&M system best. They accept all textiles and you get a voucher to spend in the store. They then use a lot of recycled textiles in their clothing. M& S and John Lewis have systems too. There are others on the Internet that accept named good quality clothes and sell them for you. So I send some to charity shops , some to store system and sell others.

Neen Thu 30-Sep-21 13:29:26

If I haven't worn it in 4 months I don't need it is my philosophy, if that helps.
I usually poo them in the charity clothes bins around community centres or supermarket car parks .
Not sure that helps

Neen Thu 30-Sep-21 13:31:32

Pop not poosmilesmile

DiscoGran Thu 30-Sep-21 13:39:01

I had a cull recently, aiming for a capsule wardrobe. I have enough jumpers jeans and jackets for this winter, and working from home makes it easier. My new rule of thumb is, if I get something new, an old item has to go. Trying to give up impulse buying is hard!!

Kim19 Thu 30-Sep-21 13:46:24

I'm in a similar position and the first thing I've done is not buy any more. Sounds ridiculous but I used to inject the odd whimsical purchase but I've bought absolutely nothing since covid started. Unfortunately I still like and wear all of my stuff but the quantity is ridiculous. I have taken the odd deep breath and popped items into the Salvation Army collection box at my local supeermarket. I do this from time to time and very rarely miss the items I've parted with. Have to admit it's not easy but.....doable. Blooming 'stuff'! Again!

silverlining48 Thu 30-Sep-21 13:52:41

Neen 4 months? Seriously?

silverlining48 Thu 30-Sep-21 13:55:41

My problem is I might get something new, though not recently, but keep the rest so over the years it grows like topsy.
Sometimes I find something hiding in the back if the wardrobe which I have forgotten about, I like it, do start wearing it, it feels new to me and I am happy.

wildswan16 Thu 30-Sep-21 14:01:06

Since retiring, I have more than enough clothes. But I am prepared not to buy any more, the ones I have will keep me going for the next 20 years at least.

I can honestly say, apart from undies and trainers, I haven't bought anything new for the past five years! I think I still look reasonably respectable when out and about.

Shinamae Thu 30-Sep-21 20:43:59

DiscoGran

I had a cull recently, aiming for a capsule wardrobe. I have enough jumpers jeans and jackets for this winter, and working from home makes it easier. My new rule of thumb is, if I get something new, an old item has to go. Trying to give up impulse buying is hard!!

My friend Linda actually does the capsule wardrobe and she does it much better than I possibly could. She only has two of everything, two jumpers two pairs of jeans two blouse’s et cetera et cetera and if she buys a new jumper she has to get rid of one of them, I’ve tried I can’t get down that low the least I can get down to with jumpers is five..? she just accessorises everything beautifully.-(obviously the underwear is exempt from this restriction?)

MayBeMaw Thu 30-Sep-21 20:54:32

Neen

If I haven't worn it in 4 months I don't need it is my philosophy, if that helps.
I usually poo them in the charity clothes bins around community centres or supermarket car parks .
Not sure that helps

Please don't poo in the charity shop bins!smile

Jaxjacky Thu 30-Sep-21 20:56:45

Silverlining the answer is smaller wardrobes! MrJ and I share a small two door wardrobe and one chest of drawers in our bedroom. Spare bedroom has another similar sized one, that has my summer stuff in, spare bedding and towels.
He wears jeans/chinos, short sleeved shirts all sumner, then adds one of five jumpers over the winter, a male capsule wardrobe. I’m not far behind him, I own one winter dress, worn once in the last year, so, jeans or shorts, t shirts, over shirts and jumpers. Two long cotton dresses for real heat, where I fall down is thermals, I feel the cold.

nadateturbe Thu 30-Sep-21 20:59:12

I have far too many of everything. What I am doing is if I wore it this summer and last summer its gone. Ditto winter.
However it still leaves far too many tops. I am deciding how many I really need and I am just going to be strong and give the rest to charity shops. Its difficult to let go, but it's ridiculous to be so attached to things. Especially when there are people in need.
There are exceptions of course for favourite things.
Once you've given them, you quickly forget about them.
I think I'll be much more careful about buying in future.

Scones Thu 30-Sep-21 21:34:59

For anyone retiring and clearing out business clothing this is a fantastic charity helping people starting out in their careers.

www.suitedforsuccess.co.uk/donate-suit

justwokeup Thu 30-Sep-21 21:35:55

One AC is a huge fan of Marie Kondo - I’m surprised there is anything left in their house tbh. I’m sure you could get a copy from the library if you’re interested. Very simply put, hold each item in your hands and ask yourself if it brings you joy. If it doesn’t, donate it. Holding the garment as you ask the question is a surprising aid to clear thinking, and makes decluttering speedy and effective.

MayBee70 Thu 30-Sep-21 23:04:23

I quite often start living in an item of clothing that I haven’t worn for years. Because my current dog has a habit of tapping me on the leg to get my attention and keeps making holes in my leggings I dug out a pair of walking trousers that I haven’t worn for years and I’ve pretty much worn them every day for over a year. It took me ages to find them as they were in one of several suitcases full of clothes that I ‘may need again one day’.

Callistemon Thu 30-Sep-21 23:09:49

justwokeup I have a dress that gives me joy, it's just a Per Una dress and I love the fabric and most especially the colours.

Unfortunately I decided I look terrible in it but I keep hoping .....