Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What might stop you from volunteering to work with homeless people?

(91 Posts)
grannyactivist Fri 08-Oct-21 15:31:24

Just that really.

I live in a small town where there are lots of opportunities for volunteering and a largely retired population who still have the energy to tackle a volunteering role. The local Foodbank, charity shops, clubs and befriending charities all have plenty of volunteers, but although we get lots of good wishes and financial support we cannot seem to get volunteers who are willing to work with us.

At our management meeting last night several people gave voice as to why that might be, but as Gransnet is the right demographic I thought I'd ask the question on here.

If you were looking for a volunteer role what would hold you back from choosing to work with a charity for homeless people? (No judgement here, just a genuine interest.)

MerylStreep Sun 10-Oct-21 12:41:56

Nannarose
There was a policy in place. But I’ve never been one for following policies that have been written by people who have never done an evening shift at a MIND drop in centre.
In this case I’m afraid just plain common sense didn’t prevail, everyone knew that the woman could be very violent when challenged.

chloe1984 Sun 10-Oct-21 13:06:23

My husband do and able and fully retired has full driving licence able to drive all sorts of vehicles mini buses etc has volunteered for all sorts of roles from collecting for the food banks driving to and from hospital etc all agencies have replied saying they currently have more volunteers than opportunities he has now just given up.

Galaxy Sun 10-Oct-21 13:25:18

I think it sounds as if not following the policy meant the situation was very unclear to everyone involved.

Aveline Sun 10-Oct-21 14:36:01

That's a disappointing situation chloe1984. I'd have thought drivers would be useful to lots of organisations.

ExDancer Sun 10-Oct-21 14:50:47

Sadly my experiences (well only two) of working as a volunteer was to be 'put upon' by the charity organisers until I was spending most of my time and energy away from my own home and family. They expected more than I could give.
Charities really must take care not to 'flog a willing horse' in this way, I no longer volunteer for anything which is sad.

Aveline Sun 10-Oct-21 15:02:37

I volunteer at a Royal Voluntary Service project and it seems to be very well run and well organised. I was recruited, interviewed, PVG, training modules completed etc etc. I'm kept fully informed as to what I should be doing and who to speak to if any problems. RVS have lots of different forms of volunteering. Check them out.

harrigran Mon 11-Oct-21 07:17:35

I would not volunteer to work with the homeless as I have had a few unpleasant experiences where I was threatened in the street and once pushed up against a shop window because he thought I looked as if I had money.
I can only assume ga has a better class of homeless where she lives, it is rough here up north.

Nannarose Mon 11-Oct-21 09:32:24

MerylStreep - I think you have just highlighted one of the problems!

Policies written by people who don't have a clue, implemented as best they can by people who have to make them work, and whose experience is dismissed.

Although similar problems occur in all charities & community organisations, it is causes more problems when you are at the 'sharp end'.

And it is those experiences that may put folk off volunteering. I have to say that I have volunteered in a couple of excellent organisations that did take a lot of notice of volunteer feedback.

LovelyCuppa Sun 24-Oct-21 07:24:00

In my role we have many volunteers who like to have one job they can take on as their own. I think it makes them feel safe that they knows what they are doing.

grannyactivist Wed 27-Oct-21 15:07:06

UPDATE:
Thank you so much to everyone who engaged with the thread.

I used all the information and insights I gleaned on here and we have interviewed several potential volunteers. The result is that definitely four, and possibly six, of them are now going to be joining the team.

I’m over the moon as the people we’ve interviewed have a really lovely mix of experience and enthusiasm and are excited about the prospect of working with us.

Thank you all. ????????

SueDonim Wed 27-Oct-21 15:09:15

That’s great, Grannyactivist!.

MerylStreep Wed 27-Oct-21 15:12:39

Very happy for you. You deserve it.

Nannarose Wed 27-Oct-21 16:47:11

Thank you for letting us know.

And thank you for the much needed work that you do.

OlderthanIthink Wed 27-Oct-21 21:10:55

I have chosen the volunteer roles I do because of the sense of worth they give me and the thanks I receive.

They also challenge me in some way and have developed my social networks.

They are also the kind of things which don't mean a regular commitment - I can pick them up when I have the time and energy and it's easy to say 'no' when it's not convenient.

Rather than wonder why people don't come forward, can you market the benefits volunteering would give those who participate?

I suggest seeing if a local marketing agency could help you (pro bono) put out some Facebook or Google ads which emphasise what benefits the volunteers would have and deal with their reservations.

Doodledog Wed 27-Oct-21 21:17:56

I would be put off if I couldn't get to the base (or the place of work) easily, as I don't drive, and transport to my town is expensive and unreliable.

If I saw something about lifts being offered, or if there were an admin role that I could do from home, or from a very central base I would be happy to volunteer. I looked into volunteering for refugee charities and came upon those barriers with that, and I have skills that (I think) could be useful.