Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Alternatives to Lush please?

(45 Posts)
OnwardandUpward Tue 16-Nov-21 08:45:42

Admittedly, I am (was) a Lush fan but will now be boycotting them. I will massively miss The Comforter bubble bar and the Lush Creamy Candy bubble bar. Does anyone know any good alternatives to these? (I do like the "high note scents")

I can't continue to spend money where there is a political agenda that's so harmful. “Lush are like the [corporate] stranger who wants to give kids sweets. Except now it’s binders and they’re collecting their contact details, so they know where to find them again.”

Calistemon Wed 17-Nov-21 09:49:32

Calistemon

25Avalon

They are not their goats. The goats wandered free range in the gorge and that seems to me a good life.

Yes, I've seen them.

And on the Great Orme and at the Valley of the Rocks.

OnwardandUpward Wed 17-Nov-21 09:42:53

I haven't used goat milk products (and probably won't) because I tried drinking goat milk once when I was in Wales and it was yuk. I didn't like the smell of it, either. I'm sure it's brilliant for your skin though, if you don't mind the milky strange smell.

I think bath bombs are expensive for what they are. In Lush a single bath bomb can cost between £3.95 and £5.95 which for a single bath is a rip off. I stopped buying those years ago and instead was buying the bubble bars (priced at £5.95), which I would cut into portions with a knife and make last for about 6-8 baths. Still expensive, I know, but they were a treat that I used to cheer me up in some bad times this year.

I think Scottish Soap company is going to get some of my hard earned dosh now, plus I may give soap making a go grin

25Avalon Wed 17-Nov-21 09:21:45

The milk used by www.goatsofthegorge.com comes from the award winning Kerborne herd of goats kept in the Chew Valley so not from Gorge goats. GofTheG use excess milk which would otherwise go to waste. They are a partner with Yeo Valley Organic and can be found on the latter’s website. It is a lovely product and extremely good for sensitive skin.

There is another partner on Yeo Valley, Lucy Litchfield, who makes luxury bath bombs. Lucy’s products are sustainable and environmentally friendly. If you collect Yeotokens you can use them for a discount.

Hetty58 Wed 17-Nov-21 00:01:02

(Hysterical!) Do you really believe that they run around the Gorge with buckets?

If you read the fancy, advertising blurb, you'll see that the company name comes from the nearby feral, wandering goats - but the milk comes from a local farm:

Calistemon Tue 16-Nov-21 23:33:05

25Avalon

They are not their goats. The goats wandered free range in the gorge and that seems to me a good life.

Yes, I've seen them.

Hetty58 Tue 16-Nov-21 23:28:31

Calistemon, you have no evidence that goat farming is cruelty free - and I'm confident that you won't find it!

OnwardandUpward Tue 16-Nov-21 22:42:48

Come to think of it, I bought some lovely soap in Clovelly once when we were on holiday. I googled them and here's the website www.theclovellysoapcompany.com/

They've got some lovely gift items, good for Christmas shopping too.

25Avalon Tue 16-Nov-21 22:41:40

Calistemon Tue 16-Nov-21 22:39:49

Hetty58

25Avalon, the free ranging goats are not 'cruelty free', though, are they? They can't claim that, just because products aren't tested on animals.

I don't think you should say that on a public forum without evidence

What evidence do you have that free-ranging goats living in Cheddar Gorge or on dairy farms in the area are cruelly treated?

Doodledog Tue 16-Nov-21 22:38:08

Little Lakeland Soap Company make really lovely products. Not as 'in your face' as Lush scent-wise, but natural, reasonably priced and beautifully (and responsibly) packaged.

Hetty58 Tue 16-Nov-21 22:32:40

25Avalon, the free ranging goats are not 'cruelty free', though, are they? They can't claim that, just because products aren't tested on animals.

Lincslass Tue 16-Nov-21 22:30:36

Katek

Oops - didn’t read last post! Can I just compliment you on your good taste lincslass!!

Why thank you. First came across the company in a little shop in Hastings, then was brought some as a gift, now shop online. Lovely.

25Avalon Tue 16-Nov-21 22:22:05

Hetty 58 Their products are not tested on animals and the milk comes from goats that free range in Cheddar Gorge although they belong to a different company. I am not vegan and don’t intend to be.

SueDonim Tue 16-Nov-21 22:07:01

Well, I don’t know, DillytheGardener, because it’s always out of stock! ??

Hetty58 Tue 16-Nov-21 22:03:19

25Avalon:

'Their products are cruelty free and use goats milk.' What?Impossible, and false advertising. Goat milk production is cruel. Here's a lucky little chap, rescued and allowed to live, despite being male:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJPYPA8eAU0

DillytheGardener Tue 16-Nov-21 21:29:30

SueDonim what does Fanny soap smell like? ?

DillytheGardener Tue 16-Nov-21 21:28:16

I’ll still be a Lush customer after ‘binder gate’ but if you want a alternative, Weleda is a great brand, I wouldn’t say they have ‘High’ scent notes but they do have a nice scents and have improved my dry skin, especially in winter! (Skin food is very nice ? )

OnwardandUpward Tue 16-Nov-21 21:14:58

LOL oh yes, fanny soap is sold out again! grin

SueDonim Tue 16-Nov-21 20:43:10

Another Gransnetter, whose name I’ve forgotten, sorry, blush put me onto this company. I’ve been very happy with the products I’ve received. My Dh is very sad, though, that the Fanny soap always seems to be out of stock! grin

chateaudusavon.com/?utm_campaign=newsletter-featured_products-ba028b28b6e44d968177ef1e7b90c2f1&utm_medium=email&utm_source=seguno

OnwardandUpward Tue 16-Nov-21 20:17:59

Ooh yes Lincslass and Katek yes I have bought soap from there before! My favourite is La Paloma! grin Thanks for the reminder, it's been a while!

Katek Tue 16-Nov-21 19:26:23

Oops - didn’t read last post! Can I just compliment you on your good taste lincslass!!

Katek Tue 16-Nov-21 19:21:42

Highland Soap Co. is worth looking at.

Lincslass Tue 16-Nov-21 19:14:32

Must say I love the products from the Highland Soap Company. Organic and environmentally friendly, reasonable prices too. www.highlandsoaps.com/pages/faqs

Peasblossom Tue 16-Nov-21 18:57:29

Yes, I said on a thread a few days ago, it’s very clever marketing.

Just a few items in Lush are organic/ethical. But they promote those and then it gives the impression that all Lush products are the same.

OnwardandUpward Tue 16-Nov-21 18:52:27

All great ideas, thanks!

I'm not keen on the body shop, just not sure why. You would think Body shop would be green... Just like you would think Lush would be all natural and it isn't. Good to look at these brands anew and find new ones.