Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice please re a Covid problem

(152 Posts)
Kate22 Wed 22-Dec-21 19:51:29

Hi Everyone,
I’d be glad of your advice/opinions, please.
My husband’s daughter lives in London and has just tested positive for COVID. My husband is driving down to pick her up on Xmas eve - a 3 hour journey and take her to her mother’s home ( the next village to us) so she can spend Christmas with them. Understandably my husband doesn’t want to think of her spending Christmas alone in isolation. On Christmas Day my four children ( all of whom incidentally work for the NHS) plus two grandchildren are coming for Xmas and Boxing Day . I am very unhappy that my husband is knowingly putting us all at risk by being in such close contact with a positive case. I have worked hard to remain calm although I am inwardly seething but have said that if my children knew they would ( rightly in my opinion) refuse to come at Christmas. They cannot knowingly compromise the health of their patients . I feel
I cannot keep something so serious from them. My husband has agreed , albeit absolutely furiously, to go and stay in a hotel over Christmas once he’s dropped his daughter off. I’m perfectly happy for him to do this but I wondered what others thought and if anyone could suggest a better solution! Incidentally he was meant to be spending part of Christmas Day with his elderly parents but doesn’t want to put them at risk .

MayBeMaw Sun 26-Dec-21 11:28:02

Gross stupidity, total inconsideration for others just because someone is “ dying to see family at Christmas " !

That may be truer than OP realises.

Twogranchildren Sun 26-Dec-21 11:25:24

So what did they do OP ?

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 26-Dec-21 09:58:26

I thought she said she was going to report back …

Nannytopsy Sun 26-Dec-21 09:26:55

So what happened OP?

H1954 Sun 26-Dec-21 08:51:16

So, this daughter has tested positive but her father doesn't wanted her to be alone at Christmas and he's going to collect her and take her to her mums................words fail me to be honest!
What's wrong with this woman staying home to minimise the risk of passing the virus on to her father, mum, elderly grandparents plus anyone else that they might associate with, the OP has family who are NHS employees who could potentially pass the virus on to countless others!
Doesn't the woman have a mobile phone or computer to enable her to FaceTime relatives over Christmas?

Gross stupidity, total inconsideration for others just because someone is "dying to see family at Christmas " !

What a bloody idiot.

Iam64 Sun 26-Dec-21 08:40:25

Is thus genuine

nanna8 Sat 25-Dec-21 11:59:43

Well I’ve heard it all now! They would be in deep do do here, probably cop a massive fine at the very least. Sometimes, just sometimes, I am glad the rules are strict here.

TopCat12 Sat 25-Dec-21 11:51:36

. The rules are that you isolate for the 7 or 10 days, common sense prevails here, it can happen to anyone, it has happened in my family and there are some very disgruntled people who will try any ruse to go out, your husband is not thinking sensibly and nor is his daughter, So, can't her mum come to you so she is not alone, I'm sure there is a way out of this, do you all celebrate by going to church ect if so I'm sure you will be forgiven.

Allsorts Fri 24-Dec-21 20:04:15

Still can’t believe it.

Allsorts Fri 24-Dec-21 20:03:22

If this post is genuine, I am appalled that anyone with Covid would expect others to be put at risk, regardless of Christmas. If she has Covid, she stays where she is, how many people does she want infected. You stay home, shame it’s Christmas but that’s what you do. Why the father is going along with it is unfathomable. How can she go to a hotel, what about the staff and guests are they so unimportant they don’t need to be protected.she stays home, what but if tgst don’t they get. Yes life’s hard sometimes but you act responsibly. No wonder the virus is spreading.

MissAdventure Fri 24-Dec-21 19:55:10

I worry more about the effects of long covid.

Lots of people seem to be left with some lingering problems.

sazz1 Fri 24-Dec-21 19:49:13

This is how fast it spreads. DILs office had a works Xmas party. She didn't go but 25 office workers did. 17 are now ill and PCR positive for covid.
DGC came up positive on LF and PCR. Mum is very poorly with it (and double vaccinated) so child caught it from her.
DGC had a high temperature for one afternoon and night. No other symptoms at all but still positive on LF day 4. Child is unvaccinated due to age.
Whether you are vaccinated or not doesn't seem to matter as to how badly you are affected.
It does prevent serious side effects and hospital admissions in some cases but not all.
Avoid large crowds at Xmas as you don't know who is infected.
My DGC is running around eating well, playing, no cough or cold nothing. You would never know.

Magrithea Fri 24-Dec-21 18:08:18

Our DD has just tested positive and isn't coming here for Christmas - she is gutted as are we but no way would she put us all at risk particularly as my 97 year old Mum is coming tomorrow. Your DH's daughter should be isolating not putting her Dad and Mum at risk of the illness

CleoPanda Fri 24-Dec-21 14:43:54

Terrible story hybrid but unfortunately not unique. So many people think it can’t happen to them. Very sad.

FarNorth Fri 24-Dec-21 12:33:42

That's a very sad story hybrid.

hybrid1000 Fri 24-Dec-21 12:14:11

You must try to talk him out of doing this, My Grandson's other Nana's Boyfriend did exactly that last Christmas, he went to Cardiff, picked his Daughter up and took her to her Mother's house, that was on 1st December, on 10th December he tested Positive for Covid, on 20th December he was admitted to Hospital, and on 31st December he died, and his Daughter wasn't even infected with Covid so he thought he would be okay, luckily no-one else was affected because other Nana had told him she wouldn't allow him back into her house unless he Isolated for 10 days after getting back from Cardiff, sadly it meant that she never got to see him again.

EthelJ Fri 24-Dec-21 12:10:12

There is a thread on Mum'snet currently where a girl has tested positive , she is in a hotel away from home, So many people are advising her to catch the train home! And many are criticising her boyfriend who has also tested positive because he won't do a 6 hour round trip to collect her.
It really is no suprise we are where we are when so many people don't take this horrible virus seriously.

3nanny6 Fri 24-Dec-21 11:49:07

Kate22 I am absolutely horrified reading your post and I know it is not your fault but your husband is a bloody silly stupid person.

The isolation period is 10 days now she has tested positive.
I think in the last 2/3 days they are changing it to seven days.
So when she first tested positive then she needs to know her exact date for coming out of isolation.

I have just battled 16 days of Covid 19 I done my testing and have also finished my isolation plus the test and trace do contact you and carry out the questions about what you can and cannot do.
If stupid people want to put themselves and others at risk for the sake of Christmas Day then let them but I hope test and trace find out.
I thought I was going to bloody die I was that ill and I am just coming out the other side of it now so let them crack on if they want to severly catch Covid.
Sorry to sound angry.

icanhandthemback Fri 24-Dec-21 10:21:44

I'm hoping your husband has reconsidered and he was just having a knee jerk reaction as he was feeling protective of his daughter; it happens. As all his other plans will be jeopardised by sitting in a car, the least harmful thing, on the face of it, is for him to stay with her. However, how will she feel if he is incredibly unlucky and becomes fatally infected? Surely a week of isolation with lots of Zoom or WhatsApp calls is a better way to go. It's a bad break for her but not the end of the world. My son's friends at Uni have been going down like flies with this new variant and so they have not been able to go home for Christmas and are stuck in digs. No drama, just an acceptance that this is the way it is. It's called Social Responsibility and your husband should be role modelling that!

Nanniejude Fri 24-Dec-21 08:02:30

Sadly for your step daughter she needs to isolate at home in London for 10 days, seven if she’s had 2 clear consecutive lateral flow tests!
If your husband collects her he could be responsible to passing it on to you all!
Sad as it is for her Christmas is only one day!

MissAdventure Fri 24-Dec-21 00:11:51

I felt like this more during the first wave.
I already vented my spleen then, and was promptly called a grass and told to mind my own business.
I saw first hand an example of someone who was no way going to follow the rules.

Doug1 Fri 24-Dec-21 00:05:04

What part of isolation do they not understand. So selfish. Stay at home. Save lives. This is unbelievable and why England is in the mess it is in

CleoPanda Thu 23-Dec-21 23:26:03

Grannybeek do you really think it actually matters what people can get away with? Surely the crux of the matter is that the father may be and probably would be infected after 3 hours in a car - masks or no masks, vaccinated or not. Wherever he goes next he will infect someone else. Ad infinitum. Someone will be seriously ill, someone will die.
God help us is the next pandemic is even more dangerous. The world population will be decimated within weeks!

Marydoll Thu 23-Dec-21 23:19:18

I am speechless at the stupidity and selfishness of this pair and the fact taht they are so ill informed about the virus itself!

Sadly, many will be on their own at Christmas, what makes this young woman different from everyone else and think that that the rules do not apply to her.

I was in despair, when I read the OP.

MayBeMaw Thu 23-Dec-21 22:53:18

Grossmama

If they both wear FFP2 masks and leave the windows open in the car your husband will be not be infected.

No wonder this virus is spreading like wildfire!
In your dreams Grossmama - 3 hours in an enclosed space a couple of feet from each other - even with the windows open.
Beggars belief.