Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's for lunch and dinner today?

(299 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 08-Jan-22 12:23:48

I've not long had breakfast but it was very meagre - a bit of granola and yoghurt. I'm quite well stocked with goodies but can't decide what to have and need some inspiration.

What are your eating plans for the day?

henetha Sun 09-Jan-22 09:42:14

I've just had one slice of toast. Don't feel like planning anything else at the moment. My apetite has gone walk-about just recently.

BlueBalou Sun 09-Jan-22 09:45:32

Never have breakfast at home just coffee. Lunch is beef casserole in the slow cooker with bubble and steak and peas.
Tea will be either a slice of stollen or cheese and crispbread with salad.

BBbevan Sun 09-Jan-22 09:59:52

DD. and SiL coming for lunch today so the roast beef I bought for Christmas plus all the trimmings. Possibly a small sandwich this evening or fruit and yogurt.

harrigran Sun 09-Jan-22 10:29:04

Yesterday I had Pain au raisin for breakfast and a bowl of vegetable soup with some baguette for lunch.
Dinner was Hunter's chicken with assorted vegetables.
When DD and SIL come this evening we will have a steak and chips (veggie in DD'S case) and I am going to cook baby courgettes in a tomato, shallot and garlic sauce.

Baggs Sun 09-Jan-22 10:37:54

Breakfast no.1 was ~100g dried dates and three mugs of tea as usual. Breakfast no.2 was a slice of my best ever date, banana and walnut cake (added some orange zest this time ?) and another mug of tea.

Lunch will be a seeded wrap with a filling of cream cheese, ham, chopped celery and bell pepper, and lettuce. And more tea.

Dinner will be green lentil, lettuce, celery soup (made with, if you'll excuse the expression, the butt ends of an iceberg lettuce and a bunch of celery) and some home-made bread with, possibly, a glass of wine.

I will drink hot water or a flowery tea (marigold, chamomile, rose petal) in the evening.

Kate1949 Sun 09-Jan-22 11:15:32

Lots of lovely food on this thread. I had a boiled egg and a cup of tea for breakfast. DH has gone to Lidl for a crusty loaf so lunch will be some of that with a ham salad. Not sure about later yet.

Jaxjacky Sun 09-Jan-22 11:27:36

Just had breakfast/brunch, weetabix, prunes, banana plus vit D drops.
Dinner is poussin, baby potatoes, broccoli, carrots and sprouts.

TillyTrotter Sun 09-Jan-22 11:54:35

Main meal later will be pork meatballs, spaghetti and garlic bread. It will be our quick dinner after a long (and much needed) walk ?

Redhead56 Sun 09-Jan-22 12:18:33

One rasher of bacon and a poached egg for brunch I don’t eat breakfast. Roast lamb dinner and the rest of my homemade trifle for tea.

Grandpajo Sun 09-Jan-22 12:49:06

Lunch made by yours trulysmile.Quorn roast,roast potatoes,broccoli, carrots,sweetcorn, mushrooms, Yorkshire puds and gravy with mint sauce

Tea is baked potatoes with onions and mushrooms from yesterday.

grannyqueenie Sun 09-Jan-22 13:02:42

Cooking a roast for some of the family today but healthier eating needs to kick in soon or I’m doomed. Maw you mentioned having an extra half a stone… well I’ve got the other half. It’s settled down only too comfortably with the other several extra pounds I was already carrying around! ?

MiniMoon Sun 09-Jan-22 13:18:20

I live with a man brought up on a farm, so we have breakfast, dinner, tea and supper.
Today for dinner we have had duck breasts with roast carrot and parsnips, spring greens and creamed potatoes.
I am about to make a cup of tea with which I will have a piece of rich jam cake, a favourite from my childhood.
Tea will be a sandwich of some kind or perhaps a pancake.

Kim19 Sun 09-Jan-22 15:09:56

Finished (boo hoo) my lovely soup for lunch. Was planning brioche sandwiches with various favourite fillings this evening but my friend has just texted to see if I am at home. This usually means she is in a cooking mood and has made far too much - whatever? Oh yesssss!

TerriBull Sun 09-Jan-22 15:18:39

Some of the family coming for Sunday lunch, which will be served about 5 pm, roast lamb, mint sauce, gravy, cauliflower cheese, roast potatoes, green beans, carrots. I was given a large Panattone at Christmas so have turned some of it into Jamie Oliver's recipe using that in a twist on bread and butter pudding. Other than waiting for main meal, have only had some prunes and Greek yogurt and a couple of slices of toast so far, feeling hungry now. Will have a glass of wine to stave off hunger pangs.

Joesoap Sun 09-Jan-22 15:30:56

Such wonderful ideas you have given me,I realise I always have boring meals.A New Years resolution to try other peoples ideas,thank you ladies.

HowVeryDareYou Sun 09-Jan-22 15:34:06

Today was roast beef, mashed and roast potatoes, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, stuffing, Yorkshire pudding (all cooked by my lovely husband and nothing frozen)
Tea is likely to be just some fruit

GrannyGravy13 Sun 09-Jan-22 15:54:08

Late breakfast (11am) poached egg on brown toast, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms and a hash brown cooked by DH.

I am now preparing dinner, roast chicken, pigs in blankets (request from 6yr old GS), stuffing balls, cauliflower cheese, sweetheart cabbage, broccoli, carrots and roast potatoes. DD and I love a variety of veggies (little bit of each) DH thinks we are trying to poison him grin

Riverwalk Sun 09-Jan-22 16:30:07

Brunch was a toasted muffin spread with dijon, and topped with avocado and crispy bacon.

Tonight will be chicken traybake - chicken thighs, red onion, garlic, peppers, cannellini beans, tomatoes - from the freezer.

Gajahgran Sun 09-Jan-22 17:41:23

Lunch was a salad with chickpeas, chicken and beetroot. A lamb hotpot, Hairy Bikers recipe, is in the oven for dinner.

Lucca Sun 09-Jan-22 18:34:05

Late breakfast was crispy bacon in sourdough toast

Evening meal will be soup or maybe eggs.

Let myself down by eating a ginger and treacle tart with Greek yoghurt mid afternoon… it was delicious though

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 09-Jan-22 18:39:19

I had my usual breakfast of tea, pineapple juice, banana, marmalade [honey/marmalade from Kew Garden shop] toast and meusli. Lunch was a poached egg on toast. Dinner - which I am still preparing - will be roast chicken, breadsauce, roast potatoes, stuffing, carrots and peas. Followed by steamed treacle sponge and custard for pudding.

TillyTrotter Tue 11-Jan-22 10:16:27

Lunch will be minestrone soup and a crusty bread roll. ?

Hetty58 Tue 11-Jan-22 10:26:16

Riverwalk, 'eating plans for the day?' - nope, just a selection of things (some cooked) in the fridge. I don't yet know what I'll fancy for dinner. If I got anything ready in advance, I'd probably change my mind.

A chap at work knew exactly what he'd have, depending on the day - as they ate the same things every week. I did feel so sorry for him!

BBbevan Tue 11-Jan-22 10:35:39

Just made a cottage pie with the last of the beef. Swede and potato topping. My Dad called that’stunge’ but I don’t know why. Scrambled eggs on toast for lunch I think.

Witzend Tue 11-Jan-22 10:39:17

Lunch here is a DIY job, we each do our own, usually at different times.

Dinner today will be a sort of hash - most of the leftover Christmas gammon, cubed, mixed and heated with plenty of fried potato and onion, and then a lot of cooked green cabbage, chopped, mixed in.
It’s one of dh’s favourites.
I need to remember to boil the potatoes in advance, so they’re cold before cubing them for frying.