Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Brother with serious mental health issues

(27 Posts)
LaCrepescule Wed 19-Jan-22 14:23:49

I’m in my mid 60s, still working and live alone although I have a partner. I have one daughter early 20s who will probably come back home to live next summer for a while. My mother is almost 91 and my brother aged 62 lives with her. He has severe mental health issues and goes from one crisis to another and is basically incapable of looking after himself. My other brother aged 60 lives nearby. He’s recently widowed and is in remission from prostate cancer. I live about an hour away from my family.

I’m the fixer in the family and am doing as much as I can to support my mum and brother. But it’s so hard as I’m not on the doorstep and I feel terribly guilty that I should be doing more. I go down every week but my brother is so ill and this is impacting so much on my poor mum….I don’t know where it’s going to end or how things will get better. Sorry not really expecting any answers to this but just feel so guilty...

LaCrepescule Thu 20-Jan-22 22:44:01

Oh yes, he’s been on every med under the sun and is seeing the psychiatrist regularly. Yes my mother has encouraged co-dependency for years and totally refuses to acknowledge it. It’s just so sad and toxic.