Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

To tip or not to tip -

(121 Posts)
ExDancer Thu 03-Mar-22 09:18:24

Well, that is the question isn't it?
My hairdresser comes to the house and is self employed, I don't tip her. But every 6 weeks or so I get my eyelashes and brows tinted (otherwise they're invisible) at a salon in town - and she is also self employed, in partnership with another girl - and I do tip her.
What exactly is the etiquette here - who should I tip and how much?
I find the question of tipping quite embarrassing.

sandwichgeneration Sat 05-Mar-22 10:40:07

I always tipped the hairdresser who came to my home since she was so much cheaper than the salons so clearly wasn't making a huge profit.

icanhandthemback Sat 05-Mar-22 10:42:13

My husband cuts my hair and the only tip I give him is, "You've missed a bit!" grin

TerryM Sat 05-Mar-22 10:48:30

Husband rounds up in restaurants.
Hairdresser , sometimes.
Dog groomer, we pay her about 30% over her rate. When the franchise rate goes up , so does our payment. Our 7 kilo Maltese is the most grumpiest dog in creation. We pay her extra to make sure she returns lol

SusiQ8 Sat 05-Mar-22 10:50:19

Years ago, when I was much younger I used to tip my hairdresser as it was the expected thing to do and I would have felt awkward not doing it. Nowadays I have the salon owner cutting my hair and do not tip. I remember my mother having to tip absolutely everyone at Xmas the dustman, paper boy, and milkman fearing what would happen if she didn’t. As someone else has said nobody has ever given me a tip in my job. I do tip a waiter as they are generally more poorly paid, having been one for a little while when my children were small and yes, I was tipped.

jenni123 Sat 05-Mar-22 10:51:03

Yes I tip many people. The delivery man who delivers my shopping, My hairdresser who comes to my home. at Christmas I give a card to the handyman who cleans our building, the postman, my Hermes courier the person who delivers my medications and put about £5 in each card.
all these people help me in some way or another throughout the year.

sazz1 Sat 05-Mar-22 10:53:15

I pay around £25 by card for a wash and trim and if the hairdresser is friendly usually give £3 or £4 as a tip in cash.
Don't use any other beauty services manicures etc.
Tip waiting staff if service is good and bin collectors at Xmas. Taxi drivers if they are helpful and go a direct route also get a tip of a couple of pounds.
Years ago my eldest did a paper round and Xmas week hadn't had a single tip. So we bought a large box of Xmas cards and just wrote "From your paper boy Tom" in each one and put each through a door with the morning paper.
Next day he came home really excited as most had left a tip in an envelope in the letterbox and a few opened the door and gave him money. He had around £25 in total in tips which was a lot for a 13 Yr old back in the 80s.

Patsy70 Sat 05-Mar-22 10:54:07

When I saw ‘to tip or not to tip’ I thought it meant visiting the local tip! ?
Yes, I tip my hairdresser £3 usually, depending on what change I have. I don’t have manicures/pedicures regularly, but when I do I tip about £2. I give our postman £10 at Christmas and our window cleaner £5. if I have a large item delivered, furniture for instance, I’ll give a tip if the service is good.

Patsy70 Sat 05-Mar-22 10:56:37

sazzl. That was a lovely gesture on your son’s behalf, and he was rewarded for it. Yes, I tip waiters separately if they’re good.

cossybabe Sat 05-Mar-22 10:58:27

Since the minimum wage was introduced I haven't tipped anyone, unless they have gone above and beyond what I would expect

libra10 Sat 05-Mar-22 11:01:54

I always tip my hairdresser who comes to my home.

Usually I just have a trim, her prices are very reasonable, and I tip £5. If having highlights I tip more.

Rumpunch Sat 05-Mar-22 11:03:04

I would just like to find a hairdresser that only charges some of the rates on here. A cut and blow dry is £45 and a cut blow dry and colour in £85.......and no I don't go to a posh salon either.

Jenh66 Sat 05-Mar-22 11:03:04

I seem to be in the minority here. I don't tip my hairdresser, a friend of some 33+ years, or my manicurist, known her family for most of my life. I really don't understand the need people have to tip every one. I do tip in restaurants and cafes depending on the service (why tip for bad?), 15-20% seems reasonable. When in our second home (USA) it's a completely different story. Tipping is expected. Maybe that's where our obsession comes from ?

SolaceOfLattes Sat 05-Mar-22 11:04:25

I’m new to the site and it’s interesting this has come up as the question been bothering me. I visit my local hairdresser regularly and the prices have risen significantly since Covid - £49 for a wash and blow dry. And their card machine now includes a choice of 10, 15 20% gratuity. So you would have to decline if adding nothing which is awkward.

Rumpunch Sat 05-Mar-22 11:05:28

I always thought that Tip stood for " to insure prompt service" and therefore you tipped before you were even seated in a restaurant. Mind you I have never done that.

Battersea1971 Sat 05-Mar-22 11:09:30

I find tipping awkward. The only ones I always tip are the young waiters/waitresses in restaurants. As this is usually a part time job for pocket money as they are still in education. I nolonger tip hairdressers as the prices are so expensive. The person who cuts my hair owns the business and charges £60 for a wash and blow dry.

Esmay Sat 05-Mar-22 11:20:40

I think that this has become awkward .

If thrilled with the service I tip .
But sometimes I've been far from thrilled .

My hair is long and I have it trimmed .

The last few visits I've come out feeling really unhappy .
I feel that they aren't interested in me because I'm not a regular customer .

I've had short cuts in the past ,but it's so difficult to maintain.

It's curly and needs straightening before cutting .
I've come out with it being cut unevenly .
One hairdresser cut less than half an inch off and got the appointment book out for the next appointment .

One hacked off six inches plus without any care at all .

Purplepixie Sat 05-Mar-22 11:23:13

My hairdressers has a couple of dogs so I take £5 worth of dog treats along. That is my tip. The haircut and blow dry is usually £30 and I wash my hair myself before I go because I have neck problems and I cannot sit with my head over their sinks.

SachaMac Sat 05-Mar-22 11:23:45

I only tip the hairdresser at Christmas now, I used to tip years ago but no one else seems to be doing it where I go, I don’t think they expect it, it’s expensive enough & I pay on card & there is no tip box at reception where my hairdresser leaves me to pay while moving on to her next client.
I tip waiters & taxi drivers if I’m happy with the service & the window Cleaner if he comes near Christmas.

MooM00 Sat 05-Mar-22 11:24:48

My hairdresser is really expensive he charges £78 for a cut and blow dry and the colourist charges £85 I still leave them both a tip. I used to be a hairdresser in the sixties and earned 5 shillings to work a Saturday morning and when I was able to work full time at the age of 15 got £3. 7s 6d I was always great full then to receive a shilling tip. Oh how times have changed

Annofarabia Sat 05-Mar-22 11:25:27

I don’t tip anyone ? it used to be in cafes because they were so poorly paid but not now. I don’t tip supermarket staff who are on same wage.

Zoejory Sat 05-Mar-22 11:28:15

Esmay I know that pain

I was late 30s and thought my waist length hair had to go.

I sat down and rather stupidly told the hairdresser to make me look younger.

I came out of the salon looking vaguely like Sinead O"Conor in her Nothing Compares to You video. But not as facially stunning.

My 3 year old daughter burst into tears when I went to pick her up from nursery. She thought I was a naughty man.

Back to tipping ... I would never tip anyone who had left me in an unhappy state.

But tip happily if I am happy.

Iwtwab12bow Sat 05-Mar-22 11:29:17

I tip my hairdresser and waiting staff in restaurants and pubs. It's much easier in the USA, everyone tips, they are obliged to. They add the tip to the bill at the end and you can choose 20% ,30 % or 40 %. Very steep but most get paid 2$ an hour.

Jang Sat 05-Mar-22 11:30:13

I tip my hairdresser if I have cash with me - often I forget so go to ATM.....but sometimes don't.....(makes little sense really)Her price has gone up a lot this month so may not do be able to tip so often ....
But I do always give her a Christmas bonus

Usernametaken Sat 05-Mar-22 11:32:19

I think that this has become awkward .

If thrilled with the service I tip .
But sometimes I've been far from thrilled .

My hair is long and I have it trimmed .

The last few visits I've come out feeling really unhappy .
I feel that they aren't interested in me because I'm not a regular customer .

I've had short cuts in the past ,but it's so difficult to maintain.

It's curly and needs straightening before cutting .
I've come out with it being cut unevenly .
One hairdresser cut less than half an inch off and got the appointment book out for the next appointment .

Esmay, if your hair is curly the hairdresser should never straighten before cutting. I have naturally curly hair (hated it as a child and used to iron it??). But now go to a specially trained hairdresser for curly hair. They cut the hair whilst dry and cut curl by curl. It is expensive but definitely worth the money. Search for curly girl salons.

And yes, I always tip the hairdresser, plus waiters if the service has been good. Used to tip the paperboy but no longer have one delivered.

Shinamae Sat 05-Mar-22 11:36:19

I don’t tip my hairdresser as I think she charges enough already. The postman I give a good tip to at Christmas. I don’t tip taxis either,I just don’t see why, they are just doing their job. Nobody tips me at my job…