Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

To tip or not to tip -

(121 Posts)
ExDancer Thu 03-Mar-22 09:18:24

Well, that is the question isn't it?
My hairdresser comes to the house and is self employed, I don't tip her. But every 6 weeks or so I get my eyelashes and brows tinted (otherwise they're invisible) at a salon in town - and she is also self employed, in partnership with another girl - and I do tip her.
What exactly is the etiquette here - who should I tip and how much?
I find the question of tipping quite embarrassing.

nipsmum Sat 05-Mar-22 16:21:26

I don't tip anyone. They are doing a job. They get paid. I never expected a tip for doing my job. Why should the hairdresser, gardener, taxi driver ect. You don't tip the tax man or the binman for doing their jobs.

sodapop Sat 05-Mar-22 16:32:10

I agree nipsmum but it's not a popular viewpoint on here.

GoldenAge Sat 05-Mar-22 16:43:37

I always tip in a restaurant and I never put it on the bill. I leave cash and always either put it in the hand of the waiter/waitress or leave it on the table but beckon to let them know it's there. The reason I don't add it to the bill is because some places take it to use to make up the actual wages of the staff!

I never tip my hairdresser because I think the charges are extortionate. I compare my hairdresser in a south London location with the prices paid in the north and they're literally twice and sometimes three times the price - not sure that rent disparities account for that. So I pay the bill by credit card and leave it at that.

I do tip my bin man at Christmas because he goes out of his way to bring my bin back into the hidden spot in the garden when he is only paid to leave it on the pavement.

kjmpde Sat 05-Mar-22 17:54:40

why do you tip? years ago there were no minimum wages but now there is.

you don't tip the surgeon that saves your life or the pilot that lands the plane safely, etc. .
i would rather give the money to a charity

Milest0ne Sat 05-Mar-22 17:59:34

It was great visiting New Zealand and Norway where they don't expect tips.Relaxed and laid back. Different in US where everyone expects an enormous tip Much more stressful.

sweetcakes Sat 05-Mar-22 18:03:23

Most definitely not. Do you tip the checkout girl at the till or the cleaner that cleans your home? These people probably take home less money than your Hairdresser. The only people I tip are the ones on apprenticeships as they are on crap wages of about £50.00 a week or students trying to earn some extra money at waitressing to eat and pay their bills unless it has a service charge then I hope its shared between all of the staff.

nexus63 Sat 05-Mar-22 19:25:03

i get a dry cut from the same hairdresser (she rents a booth), up until 3 years ago i got my partner to just trim the edges as i never changed my hairstyle in 30 years, i was nervous and did not know if i should tip or not, i got a pixie cut so it was a lot of hair, i explained i had cancer and the thought of my hair all falling all was getting me down, she now knows me well enough to chat or not to chat as some days i am not good. the price was £14.95 and i gave £20, i have been doing that ever since.

poshpaws Sat 05-Mar-22 20:26:55

I tip my hairdresser and nail technician £5 - they're both really excellent at their jobs, and very friendly and accommodating.

I give my very kind & helpful Postie a tenner at Christmas - guess I'll have to budget for £20 this year with the way prices are rising. And I'll tip up to 3 pounds to a taxi driver, but only if he or she has taken the trouble to get my luggage for me or open my doors and generally be pleasant.

Other than that no - restaurants and cafes seem to mostly add a service charge anyway, and even if they don't, eating out feels like such an extravagance that I feel the tips are built into the price of the meal.

I always used to tip the bin men at Christmas too in the days when they collected from individual houses but now that they pick up just once a week and I have to get my neighbour to take my bins to the public road, I wouldn't know them if they jumped up in my soup bowl waving - and anyway I see no reason to tip when they refuse to uplift even one black bag left beside the bin if there's no room inside it.

LuckyFour Sat 05-Mar-22 20:32:19

I never tip, it's an outdated concept, we should pay properly for the service given - full stop, why would you start giving extra. It dates back to the days when people were either rich or poor and the poor were there for the benefit of the rich who kindly gave you a few pence for your service. Those days are gone we pay for what we buy whether that's goods or a service.

Rosina Sat 05-Mar-22 22:42:56

I have always found tipping difficult - feeling patronising as I press money into the hand of another person. The paperboy has never let us down, rain or shine, and delivered unfailingly all through lockdown, so he always gets a decent sum at Christmas - we feel he really deserves it. My hairdresser owns several salons and quite clearly has far more money than I do, but I feel obliged to give her £5 - the bill is usually about £50.

Serendipity22 Sat 05-Mar-22 22:50:45

I dont get all this tipping lark, i don't tip anyone certainly not through being tight, but its just something i dont do. I mean when all is said and done, they get a wage and without coming across as mean ( which i probably do !) no one gave me a tip when i worked, THAT sounds mean and i certainly wouldn't accept it, but i would be flumoxed with who i should tip and who i shouldn't and why is there a preference in anycase ? hmm

rafichagran Sat 05-Mar-22 22:57:44

I always tip. I enjoy giving that bit extra for good service.

Tamayra Sat 05-Mar-22 23:02:55

I never tip my hairdresser but always tip the junior who washes my hair. I feel it gives them some encouragement for a job well done & their wages are low whilst training smile

bevisp1 Sun 06-Mar-22 09:44:57

I tip my hairdresser £5, when I’ve had highlights, cut & blow dry about £80+ & cut & blow dry about £3. I’ve seen people tip much more than this, don’t know what the ‘going rate’ should be! I hardly tip in a restaurant, personally I feel that we all choose the job we have, if my employment was where you give tips I would be more than grateful just to receive my wages each month... in my family there has been discussions about tipping out, one son is in hospitality trade and will tip more than is necessary. He eats out a lot, No wonder he has no money left at end of month ;) some countries do expect a tip & I believe it’s quite a-bit. I remember when young, I was born in the sixties, my mum giving the postman, milkman, window cleaner & dustbin men a Christmas tip every year!! Personally I think this day & age for some people money is short, if anyone leaves a tip should be what they are happy to give...

Oldwoman70 Sun 06-Mar-22 10:01:41

After moving I had to find a new hairdresser - I had my hair coloured, cut and blow dried. When paying the bill I told the stylist how pleased I was with the colour and handed over a tip of £5 - she immediately handed it to the colourist. I now go back to the same hairdresser and tip around £2 each time. I tip in restaurants if the service has been good as it isn't an easy job. I usually give the postman a bottle of wine at Christmas.

AlexG Sun 06-Mar-22 12:22:41

I don’t tip my hairdresser who is the salon owner. But buy her an extravagant bouquet of flowers at Christmas

sodapop Sun 06-Mar-22 12:30:00

Why do you do that*AlexG*? Is the hairdresser a personal friend ?

Looking at this thread hairdressers seem to be doing very nicely thank you.

Bossyrossy Sun 06-Mar-22 12:32:26

I always feel guilty when I don't tip my hairdresser but at the same time, she charges quite enough for a simple wash, trim and blowdry that takes about 3/4 hour.

Yogamum Mon 07-Mar-22 22:51:13

I grew up in a tip culture (different country). But - the jobs there were not even minimum wage and tips were expected. When I moved here, I was perplexed as to who to tip and what amount.

When my hairdresser has been the owner, I didn’t tip. Reason being is that I was paying quite a bit and really couldn’t afford a tip. Secondly, as the owner, she benefitted entirely from my payment. (Yes, I do understand about overheads.)

Always tip 10% (UK) in restaurant if service charge is not included and adequate service. More if service was excellent

The lady I go to now for my hair is not the owner. Not sure if she rents suave or is an employee. I tip her 10% of the cost if her doing my hair. No tip on value of products I may buy. I don’t tip manicurist as I already pay quite a bit for really fast service. They have us in/out fir acrylics/gel in less than an hour and charge £45. So no, not tipping on top of that.

Yogamum Mon 07-Mar-22 22:51:48

* acrylic infills not the full set.