Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Not planning to have a funeral

(121 Posts)
pattieb Mon 21-Mar-22 14:44:17

Hubby and I are from small families and don’t have many close friends.

We are thinking of having direct funerals.
Our two children don’t have a problem with it.
I do worry that when the time comes they’ll struggle with closure etc.

I’d love to know others plans, thoughts etc.

echt Tue 22-Mar-22 05:16:54

I hope the weather is fine and you have that picnic, Barmeyoldbat

flowers

Lucca Tue 22-Mar-22 05:27:29

Excuse my ignorance but what is a direct cremation?
I don’t want a religious ceremony but my friends and family may like something with music and memories etc.

Spice101 Tue 22-Mar-22 05:51:02

When my Mother passed away recently we could not have a funeral because of Covid. She had arranged to leave her body to Medical Science but again due to Covid that could not happen. We had a no service cremation which meant her body was cremated with on one in attendance. We then had her ashes stored until we were able to have a memorial get together. This was 9 months after she passed away. We all found closure with this and would have met her approval. She always said she wanted to go out to everyone raising a glass of champagne.

FannyCornforth Tue 22-Mar-22 07:32:26

Lucca

Excuse my ignorance but what is a direct cremation?
I don’t want a religious ceremony but my friends and family may like something with music and memories etc.

That sounds very like what Quakers do Lucca

Barmeyoldbat thanks

My husband’s ex wife died recently, and she won’t be having a funeral, wake or anything.
Her ashes will be scattered around their son’s grave.
Now it’s happening, or rather not happening; I must admit that it feels little bit strange.

M0nica Tue 22-Mar-22 07:53:43

How do you know you will not have a funeral? Despite all the arrangements you make in advance, when the day comes you will dead and those left behind can, if they wish, tear up all the plans you thought everyone had agreed to and do what they like

You could end up with the great South London funeral; horse drawn hearse, your name in flowers etc etc. You could end up with no funeral but a huge memorial service a week later. If you planned a big funeral, you could just be dispatched to the crematorium in a van and go straight into the incinerator through a back door.

I think it is rather selfish to plan your funeral in detail before you die. Funeral plans are certainly for the corpse, while still living, but funerals are for the living, those who mourn, even if that is one person only and they not a relative.

By all means express preferences to your potential funeral arranger, but leave it to them to decide what funeral will be most beneficial to them.

I think trying to control people from beyond your death is selfish and rather creepy.

Riverwalk Tue 22-Mar-22 07:57:23

Barmeyoldbat I'm very that it's your daughter's last days and hope all is peaceful flowers

PECS Tue 22-Mar-22 08:02:23

I think that death is , generally, badly managed in the UK. The trend for using euphemisms " passed" " left us" etc instead of saying died & now the growing popularity of "direct" cremation feels as if we want to pretend death does not really happen!
For me a funeral serves a clear purpose..religious or otherwise.. to be sad & mourn the death of a friend or family member is a necessary process as is having a celebration of that person's life & also to acknowledge that they are no longer alive but confirming they live on in our memory.

However, when I am dead I won't know! I expect my family will be sad but also will have a bloody good time remembering our life together at some kind of party!

Redhead56 Tue 22-Mar-22 08:04:37

I arranged what is now referred to as a direct cremation for our auntie. Who had cancer and was in a home providing palliative care. When she passed the undertakers took her in a private ambulance and she was cremated on a date they set. I picked up her ashes and spread them in a lovely place I knew she liked. There was no service nobody attended it was exactly what she wished for. We did have to pay costs but compared to a traditional funeral it was minimal.

Iam64 Tue 22-Mar-22 08:05:27

MOnica, I’m with you, funerals are for the people left behind. My parents both stipulated a favourite hymn but otherwise trusted us to make the service and reception reflect their lives and the love we shared
In recent years, I’ve attended more funerals than I’d have chosen. It’s my age, friends and family are dying. I haven’t been to one that wasn’t a positive experience. Maybe I’ve been lucky

Jaxjacky Tue 22-Mar-22 08:30:36

Ours are prepaid MOnica and we’re done so with the involvement of my children who didn’t want a direct cremation.
Lucca, direct cremation is, I think, where the body is quietly collected by the funeral directors, cremated by them and the ashes, if requested, returned to the family. No ceremony at all.

Calendargirl Tue 22-Mar-22 08:46:31

Is it correct that a direct cremation takes place at a specific crematorium, perhaps hundreds of miles away?

I had assumed that they took place at your local crematorium, with no one in attendance, perhaps before the booked funerals took place.

Personally, I would hate to think that after all our years together, DH’s last journey was on his own, with no one to witness it. Even worse if it were many miles away and I knew nothing about it.

But that is just me.

M0nica Tue 22-Mar-22 08:48:06

Prepaying is something different from directing how your body will be treated after death. Your children may well be in agreement now, but in the immediate aftermath of your death, they may feel very different and decide differently. - or they may do exactly what you want, but as you will be dead, you will not know what happens. The main thing is that you are happy with your plans in life.

harrigran Tue 22-Mar-22 09:04:40

When DH died I put an announcement in the local newspaper but did not specify the date and time, I told close family about the funeral and did not have a wake.
Some people were shocked that I had not told old work colleagues and they expected to see them at the funeral.
We had a brief humanist service with beautiful music and a piece written by my GD was read out. DH was a very private man and did not like ostentation so I think he would have approved.
There is no right or wrong, you do what feels right for you.

Harris27 Tue 22-Mar-22 09:13:36

My sister has requested this and at first I was appalled as we are quite traditional family. But I think now it’s because her daughter is in Australia and she wants as little fuss as possible. I can see the sense of it now.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 22-Mar-22 14:14:50

If you you you use your local undertaa as Jed for a direct funeral then they will use a local crematorium. Sorry about any mistakes but I have to do this with gloves on and no glasses

henetha Tue 22-Mar-22 14:19:39

I positively do not want a funeral and have told my family so.
Just direct cremation, my ashes scattered on Dartmoor, and a little family get-together singing Queen songs.

midgey Tue 22-Mar-22 14:24:53

My husband died and we had a direct cremation, it was in another county. I have kept his ashes but suddenly felt that I would like some sort of ceremony. So we are to have an internment in a wooded area of the local cemetery. He had left his body for medical research so I’m not really sure if he would have ‘approved’ but I think it is right for me and his children.

midgey Tue 22-Mar-22 14:25:59

Barmeyoldbat flowers

Esspee Tue 22-Mar-22 14:34:17

Your children can find closure appropriate to their needs once they have your ashes.
I will, like you pattieb be having a direct cremation. I hate funerals. My two can take my ashes and scatter them in my favourite place in whatever method they choose.

Nannarose Tue 22-Mar-22 14:58:25

I think that there is a big difference between not having a funeral, and not having any kind of 'goodbye'.
It seems that most posters who want a direct cremation are still talking about some kind of party or gathering to mark the end of one's time on this earth.
We have one friend who wanted nothing - no gathering of any kind. He only told his wife this, and she told his children immediately after his death. Wider family and friends were simply not informed. After the initial contact and then condolence letter, we heard nothing. After a month or so we contacted a mutual friend - she had been much more direct and asked outright. We passed this on to old work colleagues of his that we happened to know, and so the word went out rather awkwardly.
We have since seen his wife - she wanted to honour his wishes, but felt embarrassed to tell people, so it all ended up as a bit of a mess.
So my plea is that if you really don't want any sort of get-together, write a note to be sent to your friends / former colleagues etc. and arrange to have them told.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 22-Mar-22 15:05:04

Barmeyoldbat ?

Baggs Tue 22-Mar-22 15:05:39

I find the idea of planning, or even just thinking about, one's own funeral really weird. Any of my nearest and dearest who outlive me can do what (or what little) the hell they like and they know that. The funeral or non-funeral, after all, is for them, not me.

Aveline Tue 22-Mar-22 15:12:58

My point exactly.

MissAdventure Tue 22-Mar-22 15:16:14

I find it strange, too, beyond the usual cremation vs burial part, or unless you're about to pop your clogs..

PECS Tue 22-Mar-22 15:25:18

I have a file on my laptop: ' My Funeral' which says.." you can do what you like & that you will find helpful..but if you are wondering I do want a cremation,no religious words, spend as little as possible on coffins/ flowers. Wear what you like. See below a list of my favourite music..in case it helps" They know it's there.