Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Could we get rid of ovens?

(105 Posts)
Kateykrunch Tue 14-Jun-22 09:32:19

I am on a roll (see other thread lol). Fuel prices so high and everyone seems to love an Air Fryer, does this mean we dont really need our ovens anymore. Just Microwave and Airfryer, dont even think a hob would be needed. I admit to being a pierce and ping sort of girl and not a cook or baker like many of you. Just wondered about your thoughts on this idea.

Smileless2012 Tue 14-Jun-22 09:33:49

As a cook and a baker I couldn't be without my oven.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 14-Jun-22 09:36:32

I have often thought of this, then I could have a nice bookshelf in its place- so much better...

GrannyGravy13 Tue 14-Jun-22 09:38:48

Noooooo I love cooking and baking and would rather get rid of DH than my range (only joking)

ginny Tue 14-Jun-22 09:39:16

Oh no! I love my oven.

Lexisgranny Tue 14-Jun-22 09:40:23

We have had a table top Halogen oven for years, I roast chickens, make cakes, grill things. It has two racks so I am able to cook a complete meal. There are now only two of us in the house, I wouldn’t be without it. Much cheaper than using the oven, and the large Pyrex bowl is so much easier to clean than the cooker.

henetha Tue 14-Jun-22 09:43:17

Another fan here of table top Halogen ovens, Lexisgranny. I've had one for years and use it far more than the main oven.
With that and my microwave, I could really manage without an oven.

Marydoll Tue 14-Jun-22 09:45:01

I have a multifunction Ninja, but as a baker, would never give up my oven.

Marsha Tue 14-Jun-22 09:46:11

I bought an Airfryer in Jan and haven’t used the oven since then. Using the microwave for baked potatoes too, but not quite mastered that yet.

BigBertha1 Tue 14-Jun-22 09:50:37

I can see that its possible but its not for me. I think I am being more careful about when I use the full fan oven e.g. casseroles I might make something else instead but then of course faster cooking meats are more expensive than casserole meat so. DH says to stop using the top oven to heat the plates juts pop them in the microwave or run them under the hot tap. Not sure that makes much of a saving.

Doodledog Tue 14-Jun-22 09:52:05

I'm not sure I'm ready to get rid of the oven (plus I'd have to remodel the kitchen), but I think it's the way ahead.

I have a Ninja at home and a Tower Air Fryer at the lodge in the Lakes, and try to use both as often as possible to save fuel. My husband remains unconverted though.

I think an oven is always going to win for batch cooking - a joint of meat, roasties, a sponge pudding and a tray of scones won't all fit into even the biggest Ninja at the same time; but for those who don't cook like that now our families have grown they are a great standby, although running both at once can mean that there are space issues. Ninjas have to be left out, as they are too large and heavy to be put in a cupboard between uses.

lixy Tue 14-Jun-22 09:56:33

Goodness, just getting used to my new oven! I really would be lost without one as cooking and baking are my stress-busters.
I love cooking a Sunday meal, and then we don't need the heating on on a Sunday morning, so maybe it evens out in the winter?!
BigBertha1 a tip from my G'ma for warming plates was to drain the veg and then put plates on top of the saucepan with the lid on top - seemed to work for her!

Nannarose Tue 14-Jun-22 10:03:02

Goodness, what a thought!

Does anyone else here remember when some houses didn't have ovens? Although most did when I was a child (our lovely new council house came with one already installed!) there were still some folk who didn't.
They took Sunday dinner to the bakehouse to be cooked, and I can still picture it, all covered with a lovely white cloth.
There were even discussions as to whether you added the pudding batter (so it was slow cooked and rather flat, but tasty) and cooked the potatoes at home, or put the potatoes round the meat and didn't have "pudd'n".

I do use a Remoska to save energy when it suits (we have it mainly for camping) but love my oven.

Blossoming Tue 14-Jun-22 10:11:53

Since buying the Ninja we very rarely use the oven.

Grammaretto Tue 14-Jun-22 10:26:13

Thanks to my gas Rayburn failing last year, I have been without an oven since. I miss it every day.
I have a microwave and a hob, a kettle and a toaster but not being able to bake or cook all the things I want is a real difficulty.
I am used to having dinner parties and cooking for dozens. I also baked proper bread..
I have bought a new cooker but the installation of electric upgrade in my ancient house has still not happened

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Jun-22 10:32:11

everyone seems to love an Air Fryer

I dont have such a thing
Am I unusual?

The thought of trying to cook a full dinner for all the family when we get together with just a microwave (popty ping ?) and whatever an air dryer is impossible to imagine!

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Jun-22 10:33:00

Air fryer, sorry.
Even autocorrect didn't like it

MrsKen33 Tue 14-Jun-22 10:35:33

I don’t love an air fryer or a microwave. I cook most days. Use the microwave mostly for defrosting and don’t fry anything much. I shall keep my oven

Athrawes Tue 14-Jun-22 10:37:44

I've seen them advertised but they look rather large. I love my double oven and feel I save a bit on using the smaller one if it's just the two of us. Having counter space is important to me - I like to spread out!

CaravanSerai Tue 14-Jun-22 10:43:02

Carrying on from other thread. My diet is very simple: plant-based, fresh ingredients, no meat, fish or dairy. I like raw food, salads, fruit and veg but when I do cook it's often one pot. It might be a throw back to having been a small boat sailor and used to cooking on a two ringed gimbal stove. Simplicity, less washing up, less grey water. I could manage at home with no oven just a portable hob. I don't have a microwave.

DillytheGardener Tue 14-Jun-22 10:45:45

Oh gosh no, I’m not particularly (read hopeless) good but I love roasts and baking crumbles and cakes.

Petera Tue 14-Jun-22 10:46:28

You are on roll (dishwashers next please - I reckon you need two...)

We do use our oven a lot but we also bought a small one and put it in the utility room which we use when we wouldn't fill the large one.

paddyann54 Tue 14-Jun-22 10:47:22

cant bake a four tier cake all at once without an oven .I make all the family celebration cakes up to a dozen rich fruit Christmas cakes every year .A couple of big batches is more economical than baking them one at a time ,both in time and power/energy

Serendipity22 Tue 14-Jun-22 10:49:21

Ohh heck, I read your thread and immediately thought NOOOOOO, but that was my personal take on the subject and i thought well only you will know the answer. If you never use it and its stood idle then you have to weigh up the fact of the process of getting rid of it and the cost, the mess and then purchasing a bookcase ( or whatever) to fill its spot.

I hope all turns out ok in the end hmm

Oldnproud Tue 14-Jun-22 11:02:30

I am barely using my cooker now. Since I got the air fryer, I have only used the oven a couple of times. Once was to make birthday cakes (I made two at once, freezing one for the following weekend), and used the smaller top oven. The other was when cooking for too many people for other cooking methods to be viable.

I am also limiting my use of the hob now, having realized how much energy that uses. I have started microwaving the veg, instead of boiling. It works well when I'm just cooking for the two of us, and saves a lot of energy.
(It's just crossed my mind that I should get out my steamer and check how much energy that uses!)

DH bought a teppanayaki (a sort of electric frying pan/griddle) a while ago, to use on campsites, but barely uses it. Having just discovered that it is quite economical to run, and bigger than a frying pan, I've now commandeered it - on Sunday I used it to finish cooking some bean burgers which would otherwise have had to be cooked in two batches on the hob.

Having heard about them on here, I would really love to have a remosca oven too, but the price of those is holding me back.