Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Question for divorced gransnetters

(94 Posts)
H1954 Thu 14-Jul-22 14:30:21

I'm presently having a long overdue sort out and I've reached the task of sorting through years and years of photographs. Amongst them is my wedding photos, having been divorced for many years I'm tempted to dispose of them. If you're divorced what did you do with yours? Please be kind.

martinthebandit Thu 14-Jul-22 14:36:22

Gave the kids the ones they wanted, the rest were binned.

tanith Thu 14-Jul-22 14:37:55

I gave my wedding album to one of my daughters but there are still some photos around in a box of their Dad that my children might like when I’m gone.

Dee1012 Thu 14-Jul-22 14:38:34

I asked my son if he wanted any and discarded the rest.

Elizabeth27 Thu 14-Jul-22 14:38:36

My mother cut out the pictures of my first husband from all the photos of us as a couple she had, awful thing to do as he was my children's father.

I have kept my wedding and other photos including my second husband as they take up little room and may be of interest for future generations of my family.

I love to look at old photos of family members, divorced, diseased, or otherwise.

Chardy Thu 14-Jul-22 14:42:12

I have both my wedding photos and my mother's copies at the very back of a cupboard upstairs. I'm hoping mould might make the decision for me one day.

FlexibleFriend Thu 14-Jul-22 14:49:04

I've been divorced twice first time was from the kids dad and we split the photo's between us and I still have my half at home as we are still on good terms. Second time dumped the lot before the divorce was final and never seen or heard from him since.

BlueBelle Thu 14-Jul-22 14:50:52

I ve also been divorced twice but I kept all my photos they are my history and a reminder not to ever get married again how ever nice they might seem ?

crazyH Thu 14-Jul-22 14:52:36

For a few months after our separation, I kept our framed wedding photo, in the Living Room, mainly because I didn’t want the children to think that I was that vindictive (actually, I was ?) .
I have the wedding photo album. One day, one of the children, (more than likely, my daughter) will want it. If not, they can destroy it when I’m gone.

J52 Thu 14-Jul-22 15:07:41

After her father’s death ( her mother had died previously), my friend found a photo of her father and his first wife.
It quite upset her as it was part of her fathers life that she knew nothing about.

twiglet77 Thu 14-Jul-22 15:07:57

I kept mine, from both failed marriages. They weren’t always bad times.

Ilovecheese Thu 14-Jul-22 15:10:01

I have forgotten what I did with mine. But I don't seem to have kept them.

Septimia Thu 14-Jul-22 15:12:10

DS asked me to keep the photos from his first wedding (ex didn't seem to want them) so that DGD could have them, if she wants them, or at least see them before destroying them. He now seems less bothered about her having them, but they're put away out of sight for the duration.

I did keep the digital photos on my laptop, but only the ones of my family, as some of them are no longer with us and we enjoyed the get-together. It was a happy day. What happened later was different. The photos of the bride were binned!

Elusivebutterfly Thu 14-Jul-22 15:15:33

I kept my wedding photos. They are part of your history even though you are divorced. I did however get rid of my wedding dress after divorce. It was 20 years old and would not be worn again anyway.

Grandmabatty Thu 14-Jul-22 15:29:27

I have kept them but never look at them. I did give the children family photos a few years back. My wedding dress was used for amateur dramatic productions.

annsixty Thu 14-Jul-22 15:46:32

The same dilemma applies to albums of divorced children.
Both of my C have broken marriages and I have albums from both.
They are packed away and I suppose when they clear my house they will do what they want with them.

TwiceAsNice Thu 14-Jul-22 16:25:45

As I divorced a controlling violent man I took great pleasure in ripping them up and throwing them away ( my children knew they didn’t want them either ) Extreme to others maybe but it gave me a great deal of satisfaction

cornergran Thu 14-Jul-22 16:46:34

Snap ann. I’ve put all the photos together, perhaps our grandchildren might be interested one day otherwise yes, when our home is cleared our son will make the decision.

GagaJo Thu 14-Jul-22 16:47:39

Mine are still in an album. I never look at it, so it's no skin off my nose. My daughter will like it I'm sure.

Grandmabatty Thu 14-Jul-22 16:50:14

Twiceasnice you'll hear no comments from me! I kept the wedding photos with me and other guests and got rid of the ones with me and him.

TwiceAsNice Thu 14-Jul-22 16:56:30

Thanks Grandmabatty

Chestnut Thu 14-Jul-22 17:00:25

All these photos are part of your life story and should be kept for the children who should also remember that. Photos of their mum and dad getting married are part of their life story! That is how they came about. I'm a believer in keeping all these things. They take up no room after all.

Redhead56 Thu 14-Jul-22 17:01:45

Only a few photos in an album up in the loft.

Chestnut Thu 14-Jul-22 17:03:23

Just to add, if any grandchildren or beyond are interested in family history they will want old wedding photos. I would have loved to have wedding photos of my great grandparents!

Charleygirl5 Thu 14-Jul-22 17:12:34

Mine are probably at the bottom of a wardrobe and I doubt if I will have to throw them out!