Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Birthday lists - how do you 'keep' yours?

(33 Posts)
PollyDolly Sat 30-Jul-22 10:53:01

We have both been in previous marriages and therefore we now have a substantial blended family.

Birthdays are recorded on the calendar with the family members name and a small sticker to highlight so it can be seen easily. We buy cards well in advance and always write those out ourselves for our own side of the family.

To be honest, it is not easy to forget anyone and I tend to write mine and get them posted at least a week or ten days in advance. I also put a list of birthdays in my phone schedule. and get an alert 7 days before and on the day so I can send a message as well as having sent the card. I have suggested to my OH that he does the same but no, can't be bothered.

OH ALWAYS needs reminding despite looking at the calendar every morning for upcoming appointments etc but he still forgets his list of birthdays, and I end up reminding him, which I don't mind doing. I have offered to write his cards for him as and when they're approaching but he said no, his family wouldn't like that - this is the same family that never remember my birthday, but I am not that fussed about that either. However, these family members give my OH a hard time when he forgets their birthdays.

He has recently forgotten to send the birthday card to one of his siblings and it is MY fault!

What system do GNetters use o list and remember birthdays? I am open to any suggestions because short of me putting the card in his hand and reminding him to write it. and post it to his relative - I am at a loss.

His memory is OK with everything else - it is just his birthday list!

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 30-Jul-22 10:57:49

Mine are on the Calendar, MrOops has never written on cards for his family or bought them, so I do the lot, he will add something to the cards for our children and GCs.

I also have a box split into Months so that in a perfect world I would organise the cards a year in advance and I would just pull one out each time a birthday loomed, however it isn’t a perfect world so I scrabble around trying to find one, like most people I guess,

MissAdventure Sat 30-Jul-22 11:00:24

I don't send any cards. blush

It does simplify things, though.

Galaxy Sat 30-Jul-22 11:03:07

I dont remind adults either. Makes things simplesmile

Visgir1 Sat 30-Jul-22 11:04:35

On my phone, highlighted in a different colour. As I add to it, I see who's due.
Plus always have cards bought well in advance.

HowVeryDareYou Sat 30-Jul-22 11:04:58

I have reminders on my 'phone. My husband has only ever had to get one card (mine) each year. I used to buy for his mum and dad, sister, nieces and nephews. He never knows what anyone has got as presents, as I sort everything out. Left to him, nobody would ever get even a card

Elizabeth27 Sat 30-Jul-22 11:24:12

I don't send cards, it is a text or call from me.

If it bothers you that much then he could write all the cards for the year at one time. I don't know how many it is but probably would not take long to sign a few cards and address the envelopes.

I always think it is the thought that counts, as your husband puts no thought in at all without your encouragement or nagging it all seems a bit pointless.

Georgesgran Sat 30-Jul-22 11:30:05

Always rely on my (hung on the back of the kitchen door) Countryfile calendar and transfer the dates to the new one every year. At the start of each month, I see if I have any birthdays/anniversaries and buy the appropriate cards in one go.
I like a card.

JackyB Sat 30-Jul-22 11:35:44

Cards are not a thing in Germany, certainly not for close family or people you see anyway. I have noticed though, that regardless of generation, age, nationality or sizes of families, it is always the wife who remembers details about both families. My DiL1 is brilliant at this.

My D H has an eternal birthday calendar in his office and uses it - writes E-Mails, texts or phones his own friends and relatives. So I suppose he is the exception.

Cabbie21 Sat 30-Jul-22 11:49:18

Whilst cleaning the kitchen this morning I have been mentally blaming DH for various messes, but one of his good points is that he remembers and deals with birthdays for his side of the family. I don’t even know what presents he sends!
I have a birthday book, like a calendar, which I check regularly. I always have a small stock of general cards in case I forget or something crops up.

DillytheGardener Sat 30-Jul-22 11:53:31

It is NOT your fault. Who blamed you, your DH or the sibling?

If your Dh he had a brass neck given you have created a good system and he refuses to use it, it’s his problem and now becomes his responsibility.

To use a young person phrase ‘drop the rope’. Tell him cards/presents for his side are his responsibility and just focus on your own. He will wish he’d just done as you advised once he’s missed a few more!

I agree with other posters, the woman is always lumped with this work. My dil does all the cards and present buying, always thoughtful, always handmade, and she sends a note to say thank you to any gift given. My son however pulls his weight in other ways so she doesn’t mind.

henetha Sat 30-Jul-22 12:04:29

In my diary and on a calendar in the kitchen. No worries.

mokryna Sat 30-Jul-22 12:16:20

Cards are rarely sent in France but I remind my daughters of up-and-coming birthdays and wedding anniversaries of their sisters’ families. I use moonpig, (other sites are on the web) as it’s cheaper than sending them from here. It’s more fun for GCs’ cards, making them more special, when I manage to put their photo on their own birthday card. Moonpig send reminders a week before the date, so I have the choice of using them or not.

Calendargirl Sat 30-Jul-22 12:19:04

I have birthdays written on the calendar. DH has never sent a card to anyone but me in nearly 50 years of marriage.

SusieB50 Sat 30-Jul-22 12:32:19

My DH never remembered or sent any cards to his family . I still do but never get any from his family!
The newer generation of women ie my DD and DiL let their partners get on with it for their relatives . So I never receive a card from DS but always a text on the day and always a visit and a small present whenever is possible. I think cards will die out completely once we all drop off our perches .

Keeleklogger Sat 30-Jul-22 12:32:47

I use birthdayalarm.com. It’s easy to register and it’s free.

You set up all your birthdays anniversary’s and you get a choice of 2 reminders by email.

Mine is set for the first reminder at 7 days before and the second one 3 days before.

It never fails absolutely brilliant.

SueDonim Sat 30-Jul-22 13:43:34

Mine are all in my head. I do have a birthday book but I forget to look at it. grin

Dh only has a couple of birthdays on his side of the family. He generally does his brother’s card, while I do his sister’s, as we get on well and I know what she likes etc.

M0nica Sat 30-Jul-22 13:46:09

DH is an only child and his parents both died many years ago. Although he has some contact with his wider family none ar lose enough for cards.

So it is all, my more numerous family and DDiL's, whose family we are also close too.

I have calendar on the computer and they are all marked there

Teacheranne Sat 30-Jul-22 13:48:28

Keeleklogger

You set up all your birthdays anniversary’s and you get a choice of 2 reminders by email.

Mine is set for the first reminder at 7 days before and the second one 3 days before.

I like this, am off to have a look!

Chewbacca Sat 30-Jul-22 13:53:48

Keep birthday, anniversaries etc in my calendar on my phone; set an alarm for 2 days prior and on the day. The phone allows me to enter their actual birth date so I get reminded that "x is 7 on */*/***". Useful for getting children's cards right.

Libman Sat 30-Jul-22 14:05:14

Teacheranne

Keeleklogger

I like this, am off to have a look!

Me too!

Caren15 Sat 30-Jul-22 14:05:23

I do exactly that. Put the card in front of him and say can you write that please lol x

Ali23 Sat 30-Jul-22 14:23:55

We have 2 calendars in our kitchen: 1 for birthdays and 1 for what’s on, reminders etc. Our wider families are so vast that I keep it to sisters and their offspring and grandchildren, and OH just keeps it to his siblings. Often I prepare the card and he writes it as he has lovely handwriting.
I make cards so choose one out of my stash, but I also use Jacqui Lawson for e cards, which are always a hit... a small annual subscription. I think they might do reminders but I’m not sure. I just choose and write the card then attach it to a message or what’s app on my phone.

Norah Sat 30-Jul-22 14:31:00

I don't send cards except sympathy at deaths.

lemsip Sat 30-Jul-22 14:31:27

I am most annoyed if I get a birthday card from my sons and it isn't their handwriting, signed by wife!