Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mrs Harris Goes to Paris

(38 Posts)
Riverwalk Mon 03-Oct-22 13:24:43

Has anyone seen this film?

From what I've read it's a harmless piece of fluff, which could be just what we need!

Magrithea Wed 05-Oct-22 14:45:44

Going to see it this afternoon- trailer looked great so looking forward to a 'fluffy' afternoon!!

Normandygirl Wed 05-Oct-22 14:55:25

Whiff

I remember seeing this film when Angela Lansbury and Omar Sharif where the stars. This is a third remake of the film . Don't know who starred in the original.

I don't go to the pictures hopefully it will be on TV in a couple of years.

Other feel good films are Shirley Valentine,Mrs Callicot's cabbage wars and Educating Rita.

The Angela Lansbury original was wonderful. Available on You Tube for free!

grandmac Wed 05-Oct-22 17:35:13

Feel good film. Really enjoyed it.

TwinLolly Wed 05-Oct-22 17:46:37

We enjoyed the film. Light hearted and heartwarming in a way.

kevincharley Wed 05-Oct-22 18:28:59

I read the book years ago, it was heart-breaking from what I remember. I don't want that memory sullied - even if it's a false memory.

Kryptonite Wed 05-Oct-22 19:38:26

I love the 1992 version with Angela Lansbury and Omar Shariff. I can't imagine this being better than that, but I haven't found a bad review at all.

Nannyknee Wed 05-Oct-22 20:18:07

We went to see it this afternoon thoroughly enjoyable, a bit of escapism from all the doom and gloom at the moment. In fact some people clapped at the end !

Gabrielle56 Thu 06-Oct-22 09:54:37

Whiff

I remember seeing this film when Angela Lansbury and Omar Sharif where the stars. This is a third remake of the film . Don't know who starred in the original.

I don't go to the pictures hopefully it will be on TV in a couple of years.

Other feel good films are Shirley Valentine,Mrs Callicot's cabbage wars and Educating Rita.

A couple of years?!?! Don't worry it will be on streaming in no time! They don't wait nowadays u less it's a huge blockbuster!

AlisonKF Thu 06-Oct-22 18:12:05

I recall reading two sentimental books by Paul Gallico, one, Mrs Harris... and the other, The Snow Goose in, I think, the late fifties.
I was young and thought the books were a bit soppy then, but sentiment has its place, I suppose.

SachaMac Thu 06-Oct-22 18:34:53

I’m planning to go and see this at the weekend, sounds like a good film for a Sunday afternoon.

Joy241 Fri 07-Oct-22 08:27:12

I went to see it with a friend on Tuesday. It was implausible, mainly predictable, but with a few surprises, and thoroughly enjoyable. We loved it and would recommend it as great light-hearted entertainment.

I would love to have seen more of the dresses. There is a video on YouTube showing how the replicas were made - well worth. seeking out.

twinnytwin Fri 14-Oct-22 12:26:40

My sister and I went to see it yesterday - fantastic film. We went to see the Dior Exhibition at the V&A a couple of years ago and we make all our own clothes so it was a real treat to watch. Best bit was that it only cost £5 each - went at 2.15pm. Must go to the cinema more regularly at that price. We plan to combine it with a meal afterwards next time - so definitely a taxi home.