Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ashamed to show my arms

(129 Posts)
Madwoman11 Sat 18-Feb-23 16:10:22

I'm looking forward to warmer weather but I'm late 60s and my arms are wrinkly and saggy.
I love the sun on my skin but I am genuinely embarrassed by my arms now.

Does anyone else feel the same?

pandapatch Sat 18-Feb-23 16:12:06

Me!! and my hands are even worse, they have lots of "age spots" at least I can hide my arms!!

Marydoll Sat 18-Feb-23 16:19:43

Me too. I never wear sleeveless outfits!

M0nica Sat 18-Feb-23 16:21:39

I am as I am. I look like an old woman. I am an old woman. Best thing is simply to ignore your imperfections. The more you seem embarressed by them, the more people will notice them, If you ignore them, no one else will notice.

Blondiescot Sat 18-Feb-23 16:22:49

They can't be any worse than mine - I have the biggest, worst bingo wings I've ever seen. I never wear anything sleeveless and haven't done so for years.

Poppyred Sat 18-Feb-23 16:25:27

Yes, me. Haven’t shown my upper arms for years. I’m vain! Wish I wasn’t.

Quokka Sat 18-Feb-23 16:26:06

I bare my arms in my garden as I too love the feel of the sun. I cover up in company - my choice.

Madwoman11 Sat 18-Feb-23 16:28:19

Quokka that's what I am thinking I may have to do. Thanks

Wyllow3 Sat 18-Feb-23 16:32:03

Mine are just about reasonable at 72 because of yoga (triceps) and lots of bio-oil. I give them one more summer...

But I prefer loose 3/4 sleeves and non fitted tops as they are actually cooler in hot weather..

..and...

skin on any part of your body is like face skin - protect with highish SP factors on exposure and moisturise well all year round after a wash.

It's also about where you are...on holiday or sunny streets where everyone has sleeveless it's comfy, but not for an occasion.

Farzanah Sat 18-Feb-23 16:37:52

M0nica

I am as I am. I look like an old woman. I am an old woman. Best thing is simply to ignore your imperfections. The more you seem embarressed by them, the more people will notice them, If you ignore them, no one else will notice.

I agree.
Most people are too busy worrying about themselves to bother about you.
Embrace old age, it’s a normal stage in life, but many don’t get to reach it.
Best to enjoy what time is left in this life. Looks have no
bearing on longevity.

HeavenLeigh Sat 18-Feb-23 16:42:43

I don’t like my arms either never wear anything that shows tops of arms, I like 3/4 sleeves

Hopikins Sat 18-Feb-23 16:49:43

Age catches up with all of us. My late Mum constantly refused to wear anything that showed the tops of her arms. In my teenage years,(she was 40 when she had me) I would tell her she was daft. Very slowly the truth dawned and now, I hear myself saying to my granddaughters exactly the same thing. Mind you I am now 75, so I keep the rest covered too.

crazyH Sat 18-Feb-23 16:51:07

Age spots, wrinkles and flab are all part of the ageing process, unless you are Jane Fonda. Don’t be embarrassed. If you want to, you could cover your imperfections with loose tops etc. Don’t let it consume you.

annodomini Sat 18-Feb-23 16:54:39

I don't like my flabby arms but there's no reason why anyone else should have to see them. I cover up in the sun anyway, to prevent any recurrence of melanoma, so my arms are never under scrutiny except from me.

Blossoming Sat 18-Feb-23 16:55:07

I will be 70 this year, I almost died young so every year older is a bonus to me. In hot weather I mostly wear sleeveless knee length shift dresses. I’m cool and comfortable. If others don’t like the sight of my arms they can look away.

grannyrebel7 Sat 18-Feb-23 16:57:40

After having a severe eczema flare up on my eyelids which swelled them right up and made me look horrendous, I came to the conclusion that no-one else cares what you look like. So I'm definitely not going to worry about my arms this summer!

ginny Sat 18-Feb-23 17:00:37

The older I get the less I worry what people think. If they don’t like it they need not look. As Farzanha said , most people are too busy worrying how they look to be bothered how anyone else looks.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 18-Feb-23 17:16:29

I am what I am

Shelflife Sat 18-Feb-23 17:19:40

Please don't waste time worrying about your arms , life is too short , enjoy it !!

BlueBelle Sat 18-Feb-23 17:20:13

I have that outlook too grannygravey so far arms ok but I do have sunspots no way are mine age spots 😂😂😂
I hope people see me as me and not for any age imperfections I have arms and legs out when the sun is out 😳

merlotgran Sat 18-Feb-23 17:26:56

I was just thinking the other day that it will soon be time to buy Nivea moisturiser (the one with a slow tanning agent) and start slathering it on my arms every morning. I don't worry what I wear in the garden but I like loose fitting shirts with 3/4 sleeves for going out.

Madwoman11 Sat 18-Feb-23 17:28:27

Shelflife thank you

SachaMac Sat 18-Feb-23 17:52:53

I only bare my arms in the garden or on holiday now. Once you have lost muscle tone and your skin has started to sag it’s difficult to get them looking good again, even with exfoliation, moisturiser & regular arm exercises. I don’t think yo-yo dieting over the years has helped the appearance of my arms. I suppose it’s just another part of the ageing process that we have to learn to live with.

Madwoman11 Sat 18-Feb-23 18:16:10

Sachamac the yoyo dieting has been a significant cause of my saggy wrinkly arms

TillyTrotter Sat 18-Feb-23 18:19:46

I must be vain as I am more likely now to buy summer tops with short sleeves, but it doesn’t really bother me. It is just part of getting older.