Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Shamima Begum has appeal rejected

(91 Posts)
Oldernewgranny Wed 22-Feb-23 11:11:31

What do you think about this decision? I’m in agreement with it and think the decision is the right one but always take on board other people’s’ views.

Smileless2012 Wed 22-Feb-23 11:13:23

I agree with the decision too.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 22-Feb-23 11:13:48

There’s already a thread about her with comments on the loss of the appeal.

Oldernewgranny Wed 22-Feb-23 11:14:58

Oops, I should have added to that thread. Only just seen it, sorry.

MawtheMerrier Wed 22-Feb-23 12:07:21

Germanshepherdsmum

There’s already a thread about her with comments on the loss of the appeal.

I could only see the thread about the documentary which I did not see so I’ll add my tuppenceworth here.
I understand Shamima Begum is only one of over 100 cases where appeals have been lodged or heard or rejected.
I believe the government was within the law to deprive her of her citizenship in the first place and to reject her appeal.
Young women/girls of 15 may be below the age of majority but she admits she incited and encouraged the girls who accompanied her, lied to police and far from being “groomed” or “trafficked” ignored opportunities to approach the authorities while in this country.
She makes it clear that she knew very well what she was doing and while she may have been starry eyed about the future she envisaged for herself, she acted of her own volition.
That she now has to live with the consequences sends a clear message to those who have acted likewise or may be tempted to.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 22-Feb-23 12:13:18

Well said Maw.

Blondiescot Wed 22-Feb-23 12:15:08

Couldn't agree more, Maw.

Joane123 Wed 22-Feb-23 12:15:43

Glad she has lost her appeal. Right decision.

winterwhite Wed 22-Feb-23 12:16:22

I'm not sure what the consequences for her will be, and I didn't see the documentary either, but I agree with Maw that she was not 'trafficked' in the usual sense of the word and arguments for her return to the UK should be based on other considerations.

Juliet27 Wed 22-Feb-23 12:17:51

My feelings too Maw

Siope Wed 22-Feb-23 12:20:18

I agree with the panel, whose judgement is that, whilst it was lawful for the decision to be made by the Hime Secretary, with regard to the decision itself
“Reasonable people will profoundly disagree with the Secretary of State…”

MargaretinNorthant Wed 22-Feb-23 12:24:31

My feelings too Maw. She was of an age to know quite well what she was doing.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 22-Feb-23 12:28:44

‘People’ do not have the information available to the Home Secretary Siope. Do you not recall his comment ‘If you knew what I know’?

Smileless2012 Wed 22-Feb-23 12:32:05

Very well said Maw.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Feb-23 12:37:31

Greta Thunberg was 15 when she lectured world leaders on the worlds stage.

SB was 15 when she decided to join Daesh.

She is the U.K.’s problem, she should be in the U.K. face a trial and if found guilty imprisoned.

Siope Wed 22-Feb-23 13:10:52

Germanshepherdsmum

‘People’ do not have the information available to the Home Secretary Siope. Do you not recall his comment ‘If you knew what I know’?

The panel, however, do have that information.

The judgement is interesting, and, given what it highlights about the power that a single individual has to interpret and administer the law, concerning.

Urmstongran Wed 22-Feb-23 13:20:48

Well said Maw.
I don’t think for one minute this is a decision taken lightly by the government, M15 or other authorities who have insider knowledge.
We as citizens of the UK need to trust their judgements are to keep us safe.
Much as I now feel sorry for her.

Calendargirl Wed 22-Feb-23 13:21:27

Good.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 22-Feb-23 13:23:39

That power is always subject to judicial review Siope, as has happened here.

Forsythia Wed 22-Feb-23 13:25:41

Good riddance. If she came back, next thing you know her husband would follow her under the right to family life laws.

Shelflife Wed 22-Feb-23 13:26:39

I too feel sorry for her ........however it is the correct decision. Could she ever be trusted? SB is very damaged.

Charleygirl5 Wed 22-Feb-23 13:31:01

I agree also with Maw.

Wherever SB's family are in the world they have been strangely silent.

Who is providing SB with money?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Feb-23 13:42:50

Dr Charlotte Proudman, - a British barrister and Cambridge academic.

“Shamima Begum was a British child when she was groomed and radicalised by fundamentalists; she was trafficked; and she suffered gravely under ISIS. She was a child bride — and she watched her three children die. She is a British citizen and she should be brought to justice here.”

I agree with this.

Soozikinzi Wed 22-Feb-23 13:45:34

I was quite open about it all - since.she was born and raised here . But then I heard her comments about being useful to the UK security services on Jeremy Vine .She kept saying I can be useful to YOU and stuff like YOU haven't been doing a good job up to now ( which really got my back up !). So I thought these are not the sentiments of a person who feels she belongs here .Why does she keep saying 'you'? Surely you would say we referring to your own country the country of your true allegiance ?I felt it was a grammatical slip showing her true loyalties .

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Feb-23 13:47:05

Whitewavemark2

Dr Charlotte Proudman, - a British barrister and Cambridge academic.

“Shamima Begum was a British child when she was groomed and radicalised by fundamentalists; she was trafficked; and she suffered gravely under ISIS. She was a child bride — and she watched her three children die. She is a British citizen and she should be brought to justice here.”

I agree with this.

I agree she should be returned to the U.K. to face trial.

I struggle with groomed & trafficked

She was/is an intelligent Muslim girl, who could not fail to have knowledge of Daesh/ISIS.

She was not drugged or dragged onto the plane, she went willingly.