Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Birthdays

(81 Posts)
ExDancer Mon 13-Mar-23 09:59:20

My daughter and husband have birthdays in the same month and this year I'd like to buy them an 'experience' day out. They seem to have everything else they need.
Has anyone had experience of this kind of thing - is it a good idea or a totally rubbish one?
Any recommendations?
SE England.

Yammy Mon 13-Mar-23 10:05:33

Mine are the same,we didn't buy them an experience but a family years membership to the National trust.
I would look closely someone I know got a free fall dive experience in a centre and wasn't too keen, nor the balloon flight. Though SIL did enjoy a Driving one on skid pans etc that his family bought him.

Redhead56 Mon 13-Mar-23 10:11:28

My DH paid for a Bird of Prey experience for a special birthday it was fantastic we handled all manner of birds. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again and would recommend it for nature lovers. I paid for my DH to have a driving experience with exclusive cars he was absolutely thrilled driving an Aston Martin the car of his dreams.
There are some really interesting experiences to pick from some that you wouldn’t usually do. There are also dining out days and weekends away I would like to try in future clay pigeon shooting or an air balloon ride.

IrishDancing Mon 13-Mar-23 10:17:20

I gave DH a flight in a glider and it was a complete disaster! But I think if you look into it carefully and gauge what they like/are interested in it’s a great idea.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 13-Mar-23 10:19:46

How about a tasting menu at a Michelin restaurant if they are foodies

Tickets to a show or concert.

M0nica Mon 13-Mar-23 10:33:09

DD takes me to the Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace each October.

We are both interested in textile crafts and, as she lives in Hertfordshire, we can get a coach tour from the local town. No parking or driving.

But as others say, make sure it is something the recipient will really enjoy, not something you just think they might enjoy.

Do not limit your choice to Day Expepriences, a fabulous meal, a show, a concert, Art Exhibition, Craft exhibition, Car Show. The world is your oyster.

Granny23 Mon 13-Mar-23 10:43:30

An 'experience' as a present does not have to be something with a whiff of danger. We have a spate of Birthdays from late January to mid February. This year presents have ranged from

Tickets for Strictly Tour, Tickets for The Treacherous Orchestra, A Spa Day with lunch, and a Short Break in a very posh hotel.

We have also discovered that you can buy a personalised, Birthday Greeting video by a Celebrity, eg Sports, film or soap stars. DD organised one for DGS's birthday. DGS was speechless when his favourite actor from Game of Thrones, appeared on the TV in the living room just as he was blowing out his 16 candles. The star delivered a longish personal message (written in advance by DD) and finished by inviting the Birthday Boy to open the envelope on the mantlepiece. Surprise, Surprise - tickets for a return flight to Belfast, weekend in a hotel and best of all tickets for entrance to Game of Thrones Experience in NI.

DGS was unusually speechless!!!

PS It occurred to me that these video personal messages from their favourite celeb, would also be a great gift for elderly or housebound people - a surprise on the day and something to treasure and replay whenever they want.

NotSpaghetti Mon 13-Mar-23 10:50:35

I think you need to know if they will definitely use it.
My daughter and son-in-law had a balloon flight gift for their wedding anniversary about five years ago.
They had it extended (and wanted to use it) but never got to use it because they couldn't make the available dates work.
It was wasted.

My driving-mad son couldn't fit in a super-car day gift from his then girlfriend. He actually bought another (and didn't say) so that she wouldn't be upset (and probably cross with him grin!

However, two of my daughters have used spa day gifts successfully but they both have more work flexibility.

If it has limited availability I'd be wary.

chocolatepudding Mon 13-Mar-23 11:51:46

About 15 years ago our DD bought us a balloon flight with Virgin.. The flight was delayed at least twice due to the weather. However we had a lovely time and enjoyed a different view of out local area.

I had often wanted to drive a 40 ton articulated lorry, just for a minute to see what it is like to do. DH bought me an hour's driving lesson at a local HGV driving school which was brilliant. The boss drove a 40 ton artic to a local former airfield now a private industrial area. I then sat in the driver's seat, the golden rule was if any other vehicle appeared I was to stop immediately and put the handbrake on, move it out of gear. He taught me how to do a 3 point turn and after 45 minutes he let DH have a quick drive too. We then headed back to the base and had to get off the road completely to let an abnormal load through. Very good value and much better than the experience days offers.

barbramcoy1951 Mon 13-Mar-23 11:57:17

Took my husband to magic mike the other week! Was very exciting, would definitely recommend and it really spiced up our life (if you know what i mean😜)

GrammyGrammy Mon 13-Mar-23 12:02:03

Why don't you buy them an alpaca walking experience together? I don't expect they have spent time just the two of them alone for some years. They will enjoy it, surely.

GrammyGrammy Mon 13-Mar-23 12:05:03

Alternatively a adopt a Donkey for them at the Donkey Sanctuary Sidmouth and send them on a day out there together- dad and daughter. They also sell knitted donkeys in the shop there to remember their day.

Maggierose Mon 13-Mar-23 12:12:32

Red Letter Day experiences can be swapped for a different experience. You get a credit if it’s cheaper or pay a supplement if it’s more. The gift recipient is in charge.

sodapop Mon 13-Mar-23 12:33:35

My friend & I bought our husbands a flight in a light aircraft with lunch and a visit to an aviation museum. It was a great success and the voucher was valid for a year.

ExDancer Mon 13-Mar-23 15:16:44

I'm beginning to go 'off' the experience idea. Perhaps a National garden voucher might suit. I know they are wanting a new swinging seat in their garden.
I wonder where you get them (off to Google).

NotSpaghetti Mon 13-Mar-23 15:36:27

I think a swing-seat will give years of pleasure.
I would ask them to choose - you can say you will contribute up to £x so they can choose something more expensive if they want to and are able.

We have done this for adult children. You can always "christen" it with some sparking wine - or maybe gift the wine now with a tag about when they can drink it (on their new swing chair).

pascal30 Mon 13-Mar-23 16:02:32

If they like Galleries and Museums a National Art Pass might be a good gift and lasts all year

Oreo Mon 13-Mar-23 17:01:24

We were gifted a tour of a vineyard and talk and wine tasting last year.Money wasted, we didn’t want it so didn’t go.
You have to be sure recipients really want the experience and will use it.

Oreo Mon 13-Mar-23 17:02:46

A swing seat for the garden or a fancy bench or a water feature sound good?

Hellogirl1 Mon 13-Mar-23 18:23:05

I bought 2 of my daughters a day at a local wildlife park, including 30 minutes inside the meerkats enclosure, interacting with them.

Hetty58 Mon 13-Mar-23 18:35:55

My grandson enjoyed driving supercars - but then I knew he would. Some 'special' experience gifts bought for siblings never were used - due to inconvenience, time or distance booking constraints - or they just didn't appeal and passed their use by dates. I do like the National Trust suggestion and a meal out voucher seems to always be welcomed.

Madgran77 Mon 13-Mar-23 18:44:55

*Theatre Voucher
*Cinema voucher
*Vidgin experience day voucher do they can choose
*Special meal out
*Interest putting eg I have my son/dil a stargazing experience- SE England
Cookery lesson

Just a few suggestions

NotSpaghetti Mon 13-Mar-23 18:48:30

I wonder, Hetty how much money Virgin et al are making from people being unable (or unwilling) to organise their "special experience" days?

I know of two that were never used and two that were.
50% wastage.

Daisymae Mon 13-Mar-23 19:01:23

I bought a spa day for 2 for my DD a few years back. Paid extra for any day and it included lunch etc. Never used it. It would probably be a good idea to sound them out first. My children have bought us vouchers for afternoon tea, pub lunch and restaurant vouchers. The are in the drawer as we can't use them.

M0nica Tue 14-Mar-23 08:50:56

I think the thing to do is not be obsessed by presents being surprises and discuss the potential present with the recipient in advance. You could wait until THE DAY and then talk it over and not book it until everything is fixed.

DD usually gives us an 'event' of some kind as a birthday present. As said up thread she and I go to a sewing event. She has taken DH to various air events, bu the success of these events is that no money is spent until the day, date, time and place are fully agreed and it is known it is something the recipient will enjoy, because we have checked.

That way the gift isn't 'wasted'.