Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ready for a new challenge?

(35 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 21-Mar-23 18:59:30

This is sort of a reverse of the 'Doing things for the last time' thread.

I'm 58. Been a teacher for a long time but have now moved over into online tutoring to enable me to be full-time childcare for my only grandchild.

I'm good at what I do. I was a good teacher too. BUT, here's the rub. I thrive on change and challenge. And other than the sheer number of hours I have to work, I'm not particularly challenged now.

I'm ready for a new opportunity, I just don't know what it is. I know that a few years ago, I would have been almost at retirement age, but professionally, I've got a lot more 'Go' in me.

Anyone else?

Grandmabatty Tue 21-Mar-23 19:44:28

Proof reading or editing? That might be a good sideways move

MrsKen33 Wed 22-Mar-23 05:57:30

Well if my experience of proofreaders is anything to go by, an experienced, long term teacher would be a godsend.

Aveline Wed 22-Mar-23 06:20:30

An OU course in a totally new subject but one that interests you?

nanna8 Wed 22-Mar-23 06:24:41

My daughter,who has a lot of qualifications in her particular field, studied art history for pleasure and absolutely loved it. She did it in her late 40 s and really appreciated the information at uni and drank everything in. Sometimes when we are young we just want to get through our qualifications to get a job .

foxie48 Wed 22-Mar-23 09:40:50

I'm a great believer in trying new things even if they don't play to my strengths and it's a great way of widening my circle of friends which can start to diminish as we get older. I also try to do things that people of all ages do, not just "older" people. Particular mileposts for me have been buying a piano at 40 and taking lessons, bought a horse at 50 and got into dressage, got a personal trainer at 60 to improve my fitness and in my mid 70's I'm still riding and doing a couple of pilates classes each week. Took up art in my 70's and love the classes I do. I'm not very good at anything but my life is full and I am being constantly challenged. I'd love to learn Bridge and refresh my school French but I just don't have the time. At 58 you have years of fun ahead.

GagaJo Wed 22-Mar-23 09:55:12

Proof reading is a good idea. I'm an examiner for English so it might work well with my skills.

I would adore studying again, but sadly, since I have 9 years before I can retire (no teaching pension sadly, couldn't afford to pay into it). I'd love to do a PhD. But need to earn a crust.

Thank you for the suggestions!

annodomini Wed 22-Mar-23 10:15:20

When I was made redundant just a year before I would have been able to retire, I asked for a redundancy package to include a course on TESOL. I loved teaching my students foe whom English was, as yet, a foreign language and was thrilled with their responses.
A few years later, I volunteered with the CAB, another very fulfilling job., having passed up a chance to train as a magistrate.
But a major regret I have is that I abandoned a course I had started on proof reading. I guess my skills in that field are similar to yours, Gagajo. In any case, if I were you - and much younger than I am now - I'd at least consider making use of those skills.

Hetty58 Wed 22-Mar-23 10:30:23

I'd be inclined to train in a totally different skill - something I'm not especially good at - as that would be a real challenge. Having been labelled the 'academic' one (by my parents), having studied, researched and taught, I want a change.

Now, I'll try my hand at crafts, art and making things until |I find a favourite, as I feel I was denied all these opportunities in the past.

Aveline Wed 22-Mar-23 11:01:56

Gagajo I did a PhD on the side while working full time. It is possible...

LRavenscroft Wed 22-Mar-23 11:06:21

Aveline

Good on you. They are a really accomplishment. I always admire people who are able to do Phds. My daughter did one while working full time and it took her ten years but she got there in the end, just before the country was locked down for Covid! Phew!

LRavenscroft Wed 22-Mar-23 11:08:54

Is there anything that you personally have ever really wanted to do? Is there something that you may not be able to do in years to come for which you are well enough now? Does it have to be structurally based or could you develop it yourself? i.e. Doing research, photography and making it a journey of discovery.

pascal30 Wed 22-Mar-23 11:30:52

You are still really young. When I was 62 I went off as a volunteer to South Africa for a year, then when I retired I learnt aquatint etching.. life is full of possibilities but if you need to be homebound and you have english language skills why don't you write a book?.. possibilies of making money into old age there and if you get a deal with a publisher then you could travel and research ideas..

GagaJo Wed 22-Mar-23 11:36:46

Hetty58

I'd be inclined to train in a totally different skill - something I'm not especially good at - as that would be a real challenge. Having been labelled the 'academic' one (by my parents), having studied, researched and taught, I want a change.

Now, I'll try my hand at crafts, art and making things until |I find a favourite, as I feel I was denied all these opportunities in the past.

I do love crafts. Sewing, making things. I think not a lot of money in it though and I still have a mortgage.

GagaJo Wed 22-Mar-23 11:38:24

Aveline

I think if the old gray matter is still in place in 5 or 6 years, I may do. But right now, I also care for my grandson before and after school, and at weekends sometimes too, so I think that would be fitting too much in.

But yes, it would be wonderful. I even know the text I want to focus on (Margaret Atwood, Surfacing). I love self study. Makes me feel alive!

GagaJo Wed 22-Mar-23 11:38:51

Definitely going to look into the proof reading course. Thank you for the idea!

Aveline Thu 23-Mar-23 08:24:34

Why not try MOOCS? Lots of short courses on very diverse topics. Try something completely different and irrelevant to your current subjects? Forensics, art, psychology etc. The list is endless. It's nice to have something really different from current life and work to occupy your mind in quiet moments.

InTheCove Thu 23-Mar-23 11:35:14

After 2 years of retirement and after getting my house and other things in order, I was ready for a new challenge. So, I took up pilates and also learned how to use a Cricut machine for crafting. I now make all my cards with personalized sentiments.

sandelf Thu 23-Mar-23 12:07:25

Do you want to build on what you have or experience something new? Something where you have no background or useful prior skill? For me it was Ice Skating. It terrified me and I never did become 'good'. Competent on the ice only. BUT it did really challenge me, develop balance and strength. (Also archery but that is a whole other saga).

Startingover61 Thu 23-Mar-23 12:08:57

You might find some useful information on the Publishing Training Centre’s website. It used to be called Book House and is where I did a lot of my editing and proofreading training. That was in the late 90s, so things are likely to have changed quite a bit.
I’m currently studying towards a Certificate in Psychology with The Open University. You say finances are an issue, but you may be able to get some help from the OU if you really want to study. MOOCs - already suggested - are a good idea and free if you don’t want to pay for certification. I’m a linguist by profession, so studying psychology is a new venture for me. I’ve also recently applied for voluntary work, helping primary school children with their reading. Have been invited to arrange an interview. Before I was an editor, I taught languages.
Good luck with whatever you decide! There are lots of opportunities out there!

enabenn Thu 23-Mar-23 12:23:12

Would you consider charity work? I volunteer at The National Trust once a week at a historic house which has two stories. Meeting and speaking to a lot of different people is really interesting.

cc Thu 23-Mar-23 12:58:18

A friend of ours was pushed to study science at university by her parents and worked in that field until she had children after which she was a SAHM for some years. Later she followed her original wishes and took a degree in English, then a PhD, working in an excellent university until retirement. Such a shame that she wasn't able to follow her dreams when she was young.

katy1950 Thu 23-Mar-23 12:59:22

I'm 72 and last October I start a new job delivering packages I absolutely love it I work 3 days a week for approximately 3 hours a day . I chat away with my customers I feel I have a purpose again, in another life I'm was a accounts clerk so it's completely different

pinkjj27 Thu 23-Mar-23 13:00:06

foxie48

I'm a great believer in trying new things even if they don't play to my strengths and it's a great way of widening my circle of friends which can start to diminish as we get older. I also try to do things that people of all ages do, not just "older" people. Particular mileposts for me have been buying a piano at 40 and taking lessons, bought a horse at 50 and got into dressage, got a personal trainer at 60 to improve my fitness and in my mid 70's I'm still riding and doing a couple of pilates classes each week. Took up art in my 70's and love the classes I do. I'm not very good at anything but my life is full and I am being constantly challenged. I'd love to learn Bridge and refresh my school French but I just don't have the time. At 58 you have years of fun ahead.

Wow what an inspirational lady you are foxie48

SporeRB Thu 23-Mar-23 13:49:31

How about writing a book on a subject you are good at. For eg., ‘How to make money teaching online’ is a good title for a book. You can self publish on Amazon and other self publishing sites and send a copy to off line publishers.

Besides the book, you can also offer a one to one tutorial on how to make money teaching online where you can answer any questions related to the book and you can charge people for the privilege of acquiring your knowledge.

I retire six months ago and started learning to read Arabic. Not formal learning, just Google meeting with my siblings overseas once a week, my sisters being the teachers. Needless to say, we spent as much time chatting as learning a new language.