Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Jeans that fit

(82 Posts)
tanith Thu 23-Mar-23 22:44:58

Anyone else have this problem with jeans that fit the hips but are tight on the waist?
I buy jeans that fit nicely on my hips/legs but the waist is tight, if I buy them to fit my waist they are really baggy on my thighs and round my backside. I’ve not found an answer and I wear jeans a lot.

merlotgran Fri 24-Mar-23 10:34:58

silverlining48

Do bon marche do short lengths too?

Their leg lengths are 25” - 31”

I’m a 29.

Jaxjacky Fri 24-Mar-23 10:38:51

I’m an inside leg of 34”, M&S long, straight cut jeans in a size 16 fit me.

GagaJo Fri 24-Mar-23 10:39:32

Riverwalk

Leggings? shock

They're labelled leggings. But they're denim. Proper denim. Not leggings really.

annodomini Fri 24-Mar-23 10:41:40

tanith, thank you for expressing my problem exactly. I am size 14 round the behind and 16 round the waist. However, I have found that if I buy Cotton Traders pull-on jeans in size 14, the waistband stretches to accommodate my size 16 waist. I've been living in my blue pair and have just ordered another pair in black. The same goes for M&S jersey trousers with an elasticated waist, thought their leg sizes are quite another story.

GagaJo Fri 24-Mar-23 10:46:39

My waist is also bigger than my bum/thighs. These fit well and look good. The darker ones are nicer than the lighter denim.

www.next.co.uk/style/st191465/c02424?dp=a&dndl=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlPWgBhDHARIsAH2xdNfLw5ygrxPzXD2K_6ePxFSEPc9Ccpx_f7vC9H4sMwj7DhbsWKXdthEaAiDVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#c02424

Rosalyn69 Fri 24-Mar-23 10:55:15

I have given up on jeans. I wear trousers instead. Just like Joan Collins. 😂

silverlining48 Fri 24-Mar-23 10:55:20

Thanks 😊 Merlot

humptydumpty Fri 24-Mar-23 11:02:27

Most importantly - when you find your ideal jeans, buy several pairs if you can afford to! i found a particular style in Topshop but stupidly only bought the one pair at the time and then - surprise! - they were no longer selling them. I found one pair on eBay but sadly no more since sad

M0nica Fri 24-Mar-23 11:10:07

There is no such thing as the perfect pair of jeans. Just the perfect pair for you.

I am long waisted, and short between crutch and waist. I discovered about 20 years ago that Lands End drop-waisted trousers (cords as well as jeans) were the perfct fit for me, doing up neatly round my wide waist.

If you are exactly the same shape as me I recommend them

tanith Fri 24-Mar-23 11:57:38

Well partial success I think, they are better fitting my waist not perfect but better.
I’m not keen on cords at all but thanks for all the suggestions I shall investigate.

Caleo Fri 24-Mar-23 11:58:28

I have the problem, same as Tanith, jeans too tight on waist . I'd buy Bon Marche Sara in any colour if I knew whether to get 16 or 18. Can anyone please tell me BonMarche's jeans waist measurement for 16 and 18?

NotAGran55 Fri 24-Mar-23 12:03:39

Sago

NYDJ jeans are expensive but worth every penny.
They just fit perfectly.

That’s what I settled on after my mammoth try on a session.
Petite length, straight leg.

Norah Fri 24-Mar-23 12:07:57

Levi.

IrishDancing Fri 24-Mar-23 13:13:15

I found Fatface straight legs jeans size 10 almost perfect - have to wear a belt - so ordered another pair in grey and they were nothing like the denim ones! angryI shall have a look at some of the suggestions on here.
PS I’m more of a 12 than a 10 so I was very pleased with Fatface! wink

silverlining48 Fri 24-Mar-23 13:16:45

Irishdancing I would find size 10 jeans more than perfect, but only in my dreams grin

merlotgran Fri 24-Mar-23 13:22:57

Caleo

I have the problem, same as Tanith, jeans too tight on waist . I'd buy Bon Marche Sara in any colour if I knew whether to get 16 or 18. Can anyone please tell me BonMarche's jeans waist measurement for 16 and 18?

There’s a size guide on their website. Just search for jeans and you’ll find it.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 27-Mar-23 12:52:07

Try Levi's, they don't usually discontinue their lines.

I swear by 501. but those with a fuller figure probably will find another line better.

They make both men and women's jeans, although in 501 there is not all that much difference. I currently wear a black pair that originally were my husband's.

Failing Levi's, try Wrangler - they used to be good too, but it is nearly fifty years since I last bought a pair, so things may have changed.

Caleo Mon 27-Mar-23 13:26:32

Good idea from Grandtante. I have been wondering if men's jeans which naturally don't have nipped-in waists are a better fit for squared-off mature ladies.

Sarah75 Mon 27-Mar-23 14:28:31

The “denim leggings” that someone mentioned are (probably) ‘jeggings’ - theM and S ones are very comfortable and come in different lengths. More lightweight than jeans, so good in the summer.

GagaJo Mon 27-Mar-23 14:32:19

Sarah75

The “denim leggings” that someone mentioned are (probably) ‘jeggings’ - theM and S ones are very comfortable and come in different lengths. More lightweight than jeans, so good in the summer.

Nope. Denim. I'm not a jeggings fan. I'm wearing them today actually. They're quite slimming! Make me look like I've got a waist!

Sarah75 Mon 27-Mar-23 14:32:23

www.marksandspencer.com/high-waist-jeggings/p/clp22468863?color=ELECTRICBLUE#intid=plpnav_pid_pg1pip30g2r10c1|

crazyH Mon 27-Mar-23 14:40:29

Yes Gagajo👍

Kalu Mon 27-Mar-23 18:10:54

I gave up trying to find the perfect jeans years ago. Thick waist and what fits my hips is too small at the waist too. My solution, I have a v shape inserted at the back of the waist band, denim is easy to match but where I have alterations made, if the same fabric can’t be found, an exact colour match is done. Perfect and comfortable as I don’t tuck anything into the waist, it isn’t seen.

knspol Thu 04-May-23 13:33:39

I bought jeans on line from M&S a few weeks ago and they were a really great fit so much so that a few days later I ordered an identical pair - or so I thought. They are exactly the same model but the second pair is baggier on the thighs, looser round the bum and shorter in the leg although both are classed as regular length. Sent them back!

JRTW2 Thu 04-May-23 13:50:35

I like the Mum's fit jeans. Primark do some lovely ones. Different colours, no rips and stretchy.