Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Jeans that fit

(81 Posts)
tanith Thu 23-Mar-23 22:44:58

Anyone else have this problem with jeans that fit the hips but are tight on the waist?
I buy jeans that fit nicely on my hips/legs but the waist is tight, if I buy them to fit my waist they are really baggy on my thighs and round my backside. I’ve not found an answer and I wear jeans a lot.

Sweetpeasue Thu 23-Mar-23 23:14:41

Thinl all our shapes are so different. I'm a 'pear' and I find jeans generally can be tight round bum and thighs and huge at the waist.

silverlining48 Thu 23-Mar-23 23:16:25

Yup sweet pea, it’s the same with me. Pears eh?

Hetty58 Thu 23-Mar-23 23:19:24

I lost my waist long ago (four kids, menopause, old age) despite being slim. The answer is simple, though - buy men's jeans!

nanna8 Fri 24-Mar-23 05:39:10

I find the front zip pops open all the time . My stomach isn't that fat, though and it is only with jeans that happens. I wear long tops to hide the waist when I wear jeans.

tanith Fri 24-Mar-23 07:36:24

Not just me then! I’m not sure men’s jeans would do as I’m pretty short and wouldn’t they be looser/baggy in the leg?

I researched it a bit and apparently jeans can be stretched when wet so picture me later on when they come out of the washing machine stretching the waist band for all I’m worth 🤣 we shall see if it works.

Auntieflo Fri 24-Mar-23 07:59:29

No Tanith, you have to do the old trick of putting them on then sitting in the bath!

Su22 Fri 24-Mar-23 08:03:06

I live in Bonmarche stretch jeans they have an elasticated waist band and are a great fit, come in four different leg lengths and several colours.

NotAGran55 Fri 24-Mar-23 08:07:27

Several years ago I set off with a mission one day to find the perfect jeans and tried on 17 different styles in all price ranges and brands until I found the best ones for my shape.
It was a palaver I hope never to repeat but worth it find ‘the ones’

dogsmother Fri 24-Mar-23 08:14:58

It’s my bum that’s disappeared, it does make things difficult. I have always been a jeans wearer but I did strike lucky in the sale although I almost walked away as they were hipsters.
A pair of esprit, and a perfect fit albeit on my hips.

Yammy Fri 24-Mar-23 09:14:29

I'm the same comfortable waist and baggy bum and hips or good fit on hips and thighs and the waist needs to be bigger.
I solved the problem with trousers, and bought some from Next my SIL suggested, the back half of the waistband is elastic. I have to wear long tops as they have faux zips that look too young near the waistband
I have never found any jeans or cords made the same way though . I was the same even when slim. M&S used to have what they called classic cords that had hidden elastic in the waistband.
I will consider hipsters they always solved the problem when young or Bon Marche.

tanith Fri 24-Mar-23 09:20:26

Auntieflo sadly I don’t have a bath anymore just a walk-in shower and if I got down on the floor I’m not sure I’d ever get up without slipping 🤣

Sago Fri 24-Mar-23 09:26:25

NYDJ jeans are expensive but worth every penny.
They just fit perfectly.

MawtheMerrier Fri 24-Mar-23 09:35:54

Now this is an insoluble problem! Whenever I find jeans that truly fit, they get discontinued. I think (for me anyway) that the “mature” shape is simply different - more round the middle and less well defined hips.
I have had some success with Ruth Langsford bootcut jeans from QVC but recently hit the (cheaper) jackpot with M&S bootcuts especially the lighter indigo. I now have all 4 colours and the light are the best fit. I read somewhere that darker jeans come up smaller because of the dyeing process. (?)

MacCavity2 Fri 24-Mar-23 09:37:22

My perfect fit is Robell jeans and trousers. Unfortunately they are reassuringly expensive, but last forever.

merlotgran Fri 24-Mar-23 09:44:07

Bon Marche straight leg or bootcut for me every time. Cheap as chips and I never have to try them on first.

I wear jeans a lot as well.

NanaDana Fri 24-Mar-23 09:45:48

Sadly, there is no such thing as standard sizing in women's clothes, as we all know to our cost. Depending on who the manufacturer is, my purchases vary between sizes 10 to 14. So it's not just jeans, I'm afraid. All I can say is, once you find that elusive good fit, consider buying several items as in my own experience, manufacturer's do either stop producing your fave items, or, particularly these days, even go out of business.

MawtheMerrier Fri 24-Mar-23 09:48:01

merlotgran

Bon Marche straight leg or bootcut for me every time. Cheap as chips and I never have to try them on first.

I wear jeans a lot as well.

Are they still in business then? I used to buy jeans from them but thought they had gone out of business.

merlotgran Fri 24-Mar-23 10:01:56

They’ve closed a lot of shops. Maw but you can still buy them online. My local shop has closed but there’s one in the next town which isn’t far.

MawtheMerrier Fri 24-Mar-23 10:05:01

That’s good news!
Thank you

glammanana Fri 24-Mar-23 10:13:23

I have always had problems with the waist sizing on jeans until I started buying jeggings I found if I bought a size smaller that they fit perfect I now buy Next/F&F and Bon Marche all fit well.

silverlining48 Fri 24-Mar-23 10:15:12

Do bon marche do short lengths too?

TillyTrotter Fri 24-Mar-23 10:20:03

Similar problem here Tanith and I have found cords to be a better fit.
This winter I bought 3 pairs of “Ella” design from Cotton Traders and they have a fly and zip at the front, but also side side waist elastication.
A great snug fit even without a belt.
I have just bought them in pale blue as they will be nice for Spring.
There is a 15% discount at the top of the page on this link ….
www.cottontraders.com/leg-lengths/ella-stretch-cord-straight-leg-jeans/AC15945020.html?src=LGO3&fix=1&source=pla&CAWELAID=320012860000023834&CAGPSPN=pla&utm_source=GoogleShoppingUK&country=uk&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7uCklqv0_QIVy8ztCh2NJAaIEAQYAyABEgJ5FfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oops sorry the link is so long but it will take you to the page.

GagaJo Fri 24-Mar-23 10:26:14

I've recently bought Next leggings (bear with me!). They're denim. Look 100% like jeans. BUT because they have a little bit of stretch AND no zip/stretchy (NOT elastic, just stretchy) so it stretches to fit.

Riverwalk Fri 24-Mar-23 10:33:59

Leggings? shock