Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Name Labels for School. Can anybody help?

(74 Posts)
sophiehawth Mon 27-Mar-23 22:30:17

Hello, everyone!
My son needs his rugby kit named for sport. And his other games clothes. I have brought his nametapes already but am terrible with a needle!
Thus I'm looking to see if someone else could help sew the labels in. I know there must be some ladies out there who have practice!
If you have any suggestions or know someone who'd be willing, please let me know.

P.S. I am based in London and Warwickshire

BlueBelle Mon 27-Mar-23 22:39:04

Do you have one leg in each town 😂
Why ever didn’t you buy iron on ones
I m a dreadful sewer but they really aren’t difficult to sew on only need about 20 stitches just pin it on and cobble you’re way round

welbeck Mon 27-Mar-23 22:41:00

you'll get more traffic for this on MN.

MerylStreep Mon 27-Mar-23 22:51:03

Iron on hemming tape.
It will be fiddly being so small but it can be done.

Georgesgran Mon 27-Mar-23 22:56:18

Is this post genuine?

If so, just stab a few stitches in - it’s not the GB sewing bee!

Grannynannywanny Mon 27-Mar-23 22:59:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 23:12:51

Sorry, I did enough for my own DC and some for my DGC too.

Boring but has to be done, just do them in the evenings. At least it's just one lot, not five or six!! 🙂

Or, as other posters suggest, buy the iron on ones.

silverlining48 Mon 27-Mar-23 23:13:55

If this is serious 🧐 Glue them on if threading a needle is a problem.

Maggiemaybe Mon 27-Mar-23 23:14:01

I used to quite enjoy sewing in the old nametapes while watching something interesting on TV (Minder maybe, or Thirty Something). I was a bit disappointed when I offered to sew in the grandsons’ and it turned out they were all using the iron-ons. I’m a long, long way from both London and Warwickshire though. smile

MawtheMerrier Mon 27-Mar-23 23:15:29

You are kidding!

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 23:15:59

I still have packets in my sewing box - must have over-ordered many years ago or perhaps I just got bored and wrote their names on the washing labels with indelible pen.

silverlining48 Mon 27-Mar-23 23:16:28

A few days too early for April fool..

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 23:17:22

Ps you're very well organised, sophie, the new school year doesn't start until September.

Maggiemaybe Mon 27-Mar-23 23:28:16

Callistemon21

I still have packets in my sewing box - must have over-ordered many years ago or perhaps I just got bored and wrote their names on the washing labels with indelible pen.

Me too. I was very thrifty and crafty and managed to get all three first names and our surname onto one tape, so I could just fold them appropriately and they’d do for any of the DC. Obviously I wasn’t sufficiently thrifty to avoid over-ordering.

I’m hanging onto them just in case one of my 40 somethings ever needs a name tape sewing into their coat. grin

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 23:35:18

Oh well done. I did get the girls' names on to one by having the surname in the middle so an end got folded under.
DS had his own blue ones

Then had some made for the DGC and sewed them into anything I made for them.

What an absolutely fascinating subject!! 😂

Sago Mon 27-Mar-23 23:51:06

You could see if your local dry cleaners has a sewing service. Our sons school insisted that all name tapes were sewn, iron on tend to come off in the laundry.
I sewed over 90 tapes on one term, some kit had to have two name tapes.
The school shop used to charge a £1 for each tape, it’s not a pleasant task but the cost of replacing the uniform was enough to spur me on!

Calendargirl Tue 28-Mar-23 07:03:40

My mum sewed them on for the GC.

Thanks Mum, I miss you for so many things, not least all the little sewing jobs you so willingly undertook, knowing what a rubbish sewer your own daughter is.

blush

NanaDana Tue 28-Mar-23 07:09:06

Is this for real? shock

Chardy Tue 28-Mar-23 07:21:06

Amazon do a name stamp for kids' clothes for about a fiver!

BlueBelle Tue 28-Mar-23 07:32:31

Yes I think it’s a wind up 🤣🤣🤣

Primrose53 Tue 28-Mar-23 10:22:35

Pretty sure this is not a wind up because I have actually seen people advertising their services to sew on labels.

What the OP needs are very strong self adhesive labels called Stikins. They are brilliant, order online and they arrive next day and they are very reasonably priced.

Much better than those old iron on things. I ordered loads when my Mum went into a care home and they were washed countless times over the 3 years she was there and they never came off. You just press them in with your finger to the garment tag. You can also stick them on items like books, clocks, lunchboxes, shoes etc so ideal for everybody.

I have recommended them to loads of people.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Mar-23 10:35:41

I’ve heard it all now …

Incidentally I could have written your post Calendargirl.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Mar-23 10:50:13

It does have some positives though - it's reminded me to tidy up my sewing box 😂

However, could I get rid of those name tapes? Probably not.

silverlining48 Tue 28-Mar-23 11:52:23

Sewing labels is tedious, given the amount required, but surprised there is a market fir others to sew them on. Goodness, peel me a grape while I relax in the chaise longe. grin.

Blondiescot Tue 28-Mar-23 11:55:12

I am utterly useless when it comes to sewing, but even I managed to sew name labels on my in-laws' clothes for them going into a care home. A couple of stitches at each end of the label was all it took.