Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Saucepans

(45 Posts)
Madwoman11 Sat 03-Jun-23 15:35:05

Having just had the handle come off a pan full of boiling water I would appreciate advice on decent saucepans at a reasonable price please.

grannydarkhair Mon 05-Jun-23 12:14:48

I would also recommend Circulon. The earliest of mine are over 30 years old, and are still in excellent condition. You can buy them all separately rather than in sets which might have a pan you don’t want. They’re not cheap, but are definitely worth the money, especially if you can find them at reduced prices in a sale.

mrswoo Mon 05-Jun-23 19:09:55

I can definitely recommend Steller stainless steel pans I bought mine in 1997, use them nearly every day, and still look as good as new.

Mallin Tue 06-Jun-23 11:48:26

I treated myself to expensive pots and pans 45yrs ago. They have all suffered from old age more than me. ( and that’s saying something ! )
The only pots I use come from a 3 story aluminium steamer from Argos costing less than £15 a couple of years ago.
Coming up like new time and time again after going through the dishwasher.
Their size limits the number of people they are suitable to cook for, I’d say max. of 3 people. They use low electricity to bring to the boil and encourage healthy eating by making it so easy to cook an extra kind of vegetable. This steamer plus a survivor of the expensive set ( a large pressure cooker ) are all the pots and pans I need.

Grantanow Tue 06-Jun-23 11:54:05

I have a stoneware pan bought in a French market which is still in good condition after years of use but is getting a bit heavy for my wrist.

sandelf Tue 06-Jun-23 12:31:21

IKEA Hemkomst - fabulous!!! - I need induction compatible - I've tried other 'induction' pans and these are (by a mile) the best - tough and use a tiny amount of power. The handles do not get hot unless they are over the heat source, so not the problem it looks. www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/hemkomst-7-piece-cookware-set-stainless-steel-50513093/

Vintagegirl Tue 06-Jun-23 12:38:39

With new cookware, think of newstyle cooking hobs that make some designs unsuitable. My last pot was from Aldi (stainlesssteel with glass lid) to replace one from Marks that I had for 30yrs.

Summerfly Tue 06-Jun-23 13:13:48

I too recommend Circulon but they are heavy, so not good if you have problems with lifting.

Susie42 Tue 06-Jun-23 14:11:30

I’m still using the Prestige set that was a wedding present 46 years ago but I don’t think they will go on for much longer as I can no longer buy replacement handles and knobs. I’ve also bought from ProCook and their mail order service is good.

KKKKATIE Tue 06-Jun-23 14:34:04

I have had a set of Anthony Worrell Thompson stainless steel pans for at least 30 years and apart from handles loosening and wearing there still in good condition.

growstuff Tue 06-Jun-23 14:41:56

Susie42

I’m still using the Prestige set that was a wedding present 46 years ago but I don’t think they will go on for much longer as I can no longer buy replacement handles and knobs. I’ve also bought from ProCook and their mail order service is good.

So am I, but mine are only 36 years old.

GrammaH Tue 06-Jun-23 16:56:16

I had a set of Le Creuset pans I bought from their outlet store about 25 years ago. They were looking quite tired & I found their weight difficult these days. I bought a set of Scoville Neverstick pans recently from Asda for a ridiculously low price. They are brilliant! They're not heavy, nothing sticks &, unlike Le Creuset, I can pop them in the dishwasher. They were recommended to me & I certainly recommend them too.

Seamus89 Tue 06-Jun-23 16:57:00

I’m another fan of the Stellar saucepans. I bought a set when I changed to an induction hob 20 years ago and they’re still (almost) as new . Also from Harts of Stur , great online shop and good shop to wander around if you are close by ;it’s the first place I look if I need anything .

Ali23 Tue 06-Jun-23 17:07:57

We have Stellar non stick pans. Very well constructed and the non stick surface lasts for years. I think our first set were better than our new ones, which have a raised hexagonal pattern in the base that is awkward to clean.
We recently bought a John Lewis saucepan with glass lid, so that we can cook sauce- based stuff without the cleaning problem. I really like it and would buy it again.

lizzypopbottle Tue 06-Jun-23 19:12:44

Lakeland have a range of saucepan in a range of prices. I always find Lakeland quality to be excellent. They are online but will send you a catalogue of you want one.

HelterSkelter1 Tue 06-Jun-23 19:24:28

I have Prestige Lifetime stainless steel pans with copper bottoms bought about 35 years ago and used daily. The wooden knobs on 2 panlids have split. I had kept the receipt!!!! And had hoped as they were "Lifetime" guaranteed I could get 2 new pan lids. No luck as Prestige were taken over by another company and my email was ignored. Hey ho. A Lakeland pan lid fits one and a plate goes over the other.

I have a 15 year old MS 2 tier steamer which is brilliant and a large MS stock pot also well used. Sadly I dropped the glass lid onto the tiled floor and cannot find another to fit

Gundy Tue 06-Jun-23 19:38:31

I have to have non-stick cooking surface for everyday use - that’s just me. My T-fal set has served me well for 12 yrs, especially the big grippy handles, glass lids. Also Calphalon pieces, which I find at TKMaxx (?), here it’s called TJMaxx.

Specialty pieces I find along the way - grill pans, omelette/crepe pans, skillets, bigger soup kettles - it’s a mish-mash, but I find what I need!

Good reason to go shopping!
USA Gundy

Ladyfungi59a Wed 07-Jun-23 11:45:02

Circulon are the best ever saucepans I have bought from Dunelm. Expensive to buy but worth it. FYI I've noticed that Masterchef contestants are supplied with Circulon saucepans to use on the programme.

Norah Wed 07-Jun-23 11:51:07

Le Creuset 3 Ply Stainless Steel

melp1 Thu 08-Jun-23 20:13:47

I've had John Lewis own brand for 17 years when I had a new induction hob they still look great,