Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Saucepans

(44 Posts)
Madwoman11 Sat 03-Jun-23 15:35:05

Having just had the handle come off a pan full of boiling water I would appreciate advice on decent saucepans at a reasonable price please.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 03-Jun-23 15:43:28

Could buying at an 'outlet' or in a sale in which a particular item would normally be much more expensive be a way to go? Hope you weren't scalded Madwoman11.

crazyH Sat 03-Jun-23 15:48:48

Oh madwoman, I hope you’re ok. If you have a TKMaxx near you. They’ve always got a nice selection of kitchenware.

SuperTinny Sat 03-Jun-23 15:59:48

I have a habit of burning my pans!! After a stay with some friends I noticed she used the 'stone' effect pans. I was very impressed and decided to systematically replace all my pans with the stone effect ones. All purchased from TKMaxx. which is great if you don't mind not having a matching set.
By the way, I've just managed to let one of my new pans burn dry hmm and it's cleaned up good as new, so would definitely recommend the stone effect ones.

Ashcombe Sat 03-Jun-23 16:19:47

I found these pans from Wilko suit me well. I have two saucepans and a small frying pan and they are serving me well, if you'll pardon the pun!!

www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-16cm-aluminium-shot-blast-saucepan/p/0468454

kittylester Sat 03-Jun-23 16:23:06

We bought individual pans from a range called Hormst (or some such) at IKEA. They h5ave glass lids, are not expensive and are still as good as the day we bought them - possibly 10 years ago.

Madwoman11 Sat 03-Jun-23 17:48:43

Fortunately I wasn't scalded thank you.

Madwoman11 Sat 03-Jun-23 17:50:18

SuperTinny do you know the brand please.

fancythat Sat 03-Jun-23 18:40:57

I have Prima.
They were good price. I got a set.
But I am no great cook. Suits me but for all I know, they may not suit everyone.

Auntieflo Sat 03-Jun-23 19:11:24

I also recommend having a look in TK Maxx, if you have one near you. Mine are Judge and have been very good for the 6/7 years that I have had them.

MrsNemo Sat 03-Jun-23 22:29:57

I bought 'Stellar' pans, stainless steel, and they have been remarkably good, from Harts of Stur online (are we allowed to name stores?) They were much cheaper than any other supplier. Although they are not non stick, they are very easy to clean.

Hetty58 Sat 03-Jun-23 22:49:42

Thank Heavens you weren't hurt. I have good, sturdy pans from Ikea, stainless steel and the handles are firmly fixed on. I think two handles are best - for all but the smallest ones.

Ziplok Sat 03-Jun-23 22:52:35

My pans are Circulon. Not cheap, but had them years, with no loose handles so far. 🤞

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Jun-23 22:55:48

Stellar pans are very good but the ones I had had metal lid handles which got hot.
I now have Judge Vista draining pans which so far have been fine.

I rarely put them in the dishwasher as I think that can weaken the handles.

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Jun-23 22:59:13

MrsNemo

I bought 'Stellar' pans, stainless steel, and they have been remarkably good, from Harts of Stur online (are we allowed to name stores?) They were much cheaper than any other supplier. Although they are not non stick, they are very easy to clean.

I'd never heard of Harts of Stur, MrsNemo but have just taken a look and it looks an interesting site and much cheaper than other retailers.

NotSpaghetti Sat 03-Jun-23 23:12:54

Circulon do great bakeware. I'd definitely trust the pans.

I would avoid aluminium pans, personally. I know someone else suggested aluminium.

Deedaa Sat 03-Jun-23 23:34:31

I bought a set of stainless steel saucepans about 15 years ago. They were in a sale and less than half price - still a lot of money to me! But they have been so worth it. Still look as good as new and require no special treatment.

CanadianGran Sun 04-Jun-23 03:10:12

Oh dear, madwoman, lucky you weren't hurt. It's a good idea to check handles occasionally. I have one very old set that do get loose handles once in a while, DH will tighten them with a screwdriver. I have some other, better pans that have the handles riveted on.

Buy the best you can afford. You may not need a whole set., but it is nice to have matching pots.

kittylester Sun 04-Jun-23 06:34:40

I buy a fair bit from Harts of Stur.

BigBertha1 Sun 04-Jun-23 07:12:18

My pans are by Prestige it's my second set in about 40 years Dunelm have them at a good price.

harrigran Sun 04-Jun-23 08:35:35

I have Tefal pans that have been in use for about 20 years, I never use metal utensils in them so non stick coating is undamaged. I bought mine in John Lewis and were about £50 each but now you can buy them way cheaper in TK Maxx and other stores.

shysal Sun 04-Jun-23 08:46:19

If you like non-stick I can recommend Scoville Neverstick, available at Asda and on line sites. I have several and they are sturdy and great! I see they do roasting tins etc., so will order some more pieces.
www.scoville.me/

Madwoman11 Sun 04-Jun-23 11:37:07

Thank you everyone your comments have been extremely useful😊

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Jun-23 12:29:38

BigBertha1

My pans are by Prestige it's my second set in about 40 years Dunelm have them at a good price.

I had Prestige stainless steel pans years ago and they were very good, in fact I passed them on to DD, after years of use, when she moved into a flat.

MrsNemo Sun 04-Jun-23 22:08:35

I hope you find some bargains!