Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Private MRI scans - anyone had one?

(77 Posts)
kittylester Thu 10-Aug-23 06:32:50

And where was it?

My oldest, and best, friend has lymphoma and has now lost the use of her kegs. Her consultant wants her to gave an MRI but the waiting list is about a month.

They have tried all the private hospitals in the area but the waiting lists are also long.

She is wondering about using one of the companies offering just scans (one called Vista) - anyone here used one?

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 10-Aug-23 06:36:02

We’ve used a private one one in Cheltenham, called Cobalt, I don’t know where you are though.
You will need a Doctors letter to get a private scan, the results will be sent to you and your Doctor.

dragonfly46 Thu 10-Aug-23 06:50:49

A friend of mine had one and was given the disc with the results which she could show her doctor. She lives in Cambridge but had to travel to London. I am not sure which company she used. How scary for your friend.

dragonfly46 Thu 10-Aug-23 06:54:19

I have had a scan at the University here before now, or maybe a cancellation will come up. I hope your friend gets one soon.

kittylester Thu 10-Aug-23 07:00:17

Thank you for the replies.

Did you pay at the University dragonfly?

Were you referred or did you arrange it yourself?

A referral isn't a problem - it was her consultant's idea.

dragonfly46 Thu 10-Aug-23 07:01:37

No I was referred by my GP. Later my consultant said she didn’t know GPs could refer you for a scan.

LtEve Thu 10-Aug-23 07:05:38

I’ve used Vista. Service was excellent and my GP was sent a copy of the results as well as an email to me.

Katie59 Thu 10-Aug-23 07:36:43

What is the cost of a private MRI scan?. A routine X-ray is over £200.

Gymstagran Thu 10-Aug-23 07:37:29

I've had a private MRI at a scanning centre. Like others had a written report, copied to GP and a disc copy of findings that could be shown to medical personnel. A gp could and did refer me as I was paying. He did ask which centre I wanted to go to and told me the options. He was unable to refer for NHS scan. He could only refer onto a "pathway" which would involve a waiting list of over 12 months.

Hetty58 Thu 10-Aug-23 07:43:48

I had one at a Spire hospital. My son arranged it, not my GP. I took the results disk to my doctor. I think it cost £800 for my back but smaller areas should be cheaper.

Joseann Thu 10-Aug-23 07:44:40

For the best results she needs to find a hospital with a 3-Tesla MRI scanner. It is the most advanced. There's no point getting an inferior one which needs to be done again. London has several and other places do too.

kittylester Thu 10-Aug-23 08:02:26

We have 4 private hospitals within striking distance who all have equally long waiting lists - presumably because everyone else is opting to pay if they can afford to.

Thank you for the posts so far.

Primrose53 Thu 10-Aug-23 08:57:39

My old school friend paid for a private MRI because her GP said “we don’t need to go down that route” when she asked for one. She had had dreadful pains in her neck and arms. She could not move her arms at all. They just would not listen to her. She even burnt her arms with hot water bottles trying to alleviate the pain.
Her husband booked it for a Sunday afternoon and by the next day she sadly had a diagnosis of cancer in her spine, neck and shoulders. She passed away less than 3 months later.
The GP is still working and as arrogant as ever.

tickingbird Thu 10-Aug-23 09:30:09

That is terrible Primrose. Her so called doctor should be ashamed and preferably sacked.

annodomini Thu 10-Aug-23 09:39:23

A friend paid for a private MRI scan of her spine in a local hospital. She got the results within 24 hours and shared them with her GP. The scan cost her around £300.

Drina01 Thu 10-Aug-23 09:47:44

My GP couldn’t diagnose me and I was in so much pain I paid for one locally via scan.com. I had the results in days and also had a diagnosis. Again between 300-400 for one body area.

westendgirl Thu 10-Aug-23 10:29:20

I was referred by a physio ,NHS.

Drina01 Thu 10-Aug-23 10:36:52

Should have added (apologies just thought) … the diagnosis came from the Consultant Radiologist who reviewed the private mri as part of the package.

Joseann Thu 10-Aug-23 10:40:42

You also get given the MRI on disc format. You can then take it to a consultant.

Joseann Thu 10-Aug-23 10:56:21

* get given !!
That's poor English. Sorry, I've been travelling since 6 am, need a great for some good coffee.
☕️ 🍰

Joseann Thu 10-Aug-23 10:57:08

Break grrrr!

nadateturbe Thu 10-Aug-23 11:48:36

Not your day Joseann!'😁

nadateturbe Thu 10-Aug-23 11:50:44

NHS in NI is using Alliance Medical. They were both professional and reassuring. Their prices compared very well with other private companies.
I would use them if I was paying.

Coolgran65 Thu 10-Aug-23 12:32:08

Kingsbridge Private Hospital in Belfast. Took 3 weeks and cost £450.
If it takes you near a month and NHS is free in a month...... Many private scans are also taking a month .

Tenko Thu 10-Aug-23 12:34:40

My daughter had a private mri scan done at a local centre . She was referred by her physio