Is it cheaper to live abroad? Anyone done it?

Rexdog12 Thu 14-Sep-23 19:34:40

I'm 63. Husband 67. He has state pension plus small occpen. I have small occpen and still work part time until i get my state pension, 3 years away. Our total income feels too small to live comfortably into old age. We have friends who live in Spain who say they couldn't afford to live here now. Thinking of moving abroad to either EU or Non EU country for retirement. Has anyone else done this and do you think it possible to have higher standard of living abroad on a modest income than living over here? We have savings so could get health insurance elsewhere etc.

Freya5 Mon 18-Sep-23 10:23:40

Rexdog12

Hi there. Completely agree. But the uk feels like a very unwelcoming place to live. The attitude of the police and the nhs and the public institutions all seem to be working against us it seems to me. Like as if they hold us, the public in contempt

I have never found that, maybe in big cities where everyone is fighting for space,,and crime is rife. I love visiting family in Europe, all well settled and integrated, speak the language fluently, but I would live no where else but the UK. Best of both worlds.

Nannarose Mon 18-Sep-23 11:02:28

Regarding climate, I do think it is relevant that the Gulf Stream (for the time being!) keeps the UK relatively temperate and free from weather extremes.

I am sorry to say that I feel, like Rexdog, that the UK is broken. Individuals are doing their best, and I salute them, but everything feels patchy and uncertain. However, I could never even consider anywhere else.

pascal30 Mon 18-Sep-23 11:11:47

Freya5

Rexdog12

I have never found that the UK is unwelcoming either. I have lived abroad but the UK and particularly where I live on the South coast is very friendly and inclusive, and has masses of cultural and arts activies on offer (often free) which wasn't the case in France when I lived there.. I think we often underestimate just what a good life we have in the Uk

Freya5 Mon 18-Sep-23 14:10:13

pascal30

Freya5

Rexdog12

You are right. Even in my small neck of the woods an up and coming arts and music scene, plenty of reasonably priced community based activities. We are up North too. ☺

pennyhapenny Mon 18-Sep-23 15:43:37

If I were younger, I'd be off like a shot. But your situation/ pension is very similar to ours and I think the sensible choice is to find a part of the UK that is cheaper and suits your needs. eg Wales is lovely and parts are less expensive than the big city connurbations. You have natural beauty and/or beaches all around which cost nothing to visit. But there is more rain than most places. Lincolnshire and Norfolk are cheaper too, and have drier weather.

DrWatson Mon 18-Sep-23 16:03:41

For pennyhapenny -- quite right re weather, and areas to live that are more 'affordable'! One other consideration is health, the NHS does valiant work for many people, but is better in some locations for certain problems.

My OH has a form of Leukemia, treatment going well, but would be most wary about moving somewhere which has a worse oncology dept?!

We had a lovely break in Shrewsbury/Ludlow area last year, thought "oooh, living here might be OK" - but heard that the hospitals there are hopeless!

pen50 Mon 18-Sep-23 18:30:25

Lived in Spain for a dozen years but moved back here after my first husband died. Healthcare was better but we had to pay through the nose for his insurance. Food - a bit cheaper. Housing a bit cheaper but generally poorly insulated and no central heating, had to pay forward con in summer and electric heating in winter (very expensive!) But loved the sunshine and had made some good friends (eventually, took some time). It was a wrench to return, but I had to get a job, and that wasn't going to happen outside the UK. Good and bad in both ways.