Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Aching hip at night

(8 Posts)
Cath9 Thu 11-Jan-24 17:02:18

Can anyone recommend a good support for an aching hip at night

fancythat Thu 11-Jan-24 17:06:18

Several of us were on this thread just before Christmas

www.gransnet.com/forums/ask_a_gran/a1330697-Hip-pain-and-sleeping-problems-any-tips

There is also the ongoing hip and knees thread.

Have you been diagnosed with something?

fancythat Thu 11-Jan-24 18:57:08

There is also this thread

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1323695-A-knee-pillow

henetha Thu 11-Jan-24 20:39:10

I went to the doctor about this very subject yesterday and he is referring me for an x-ray. I just use a pillow for support, and take painkillers last thing.
Have you got a specific reason for your pain at night?

Cath9 Sat 10-Feb-24 11:54:27

Thanks all. I fear I had forgotten about this post after being away
Yes, I do have a reason as many years ago, I was informed I have osteoporosis all due to a side effect of medication that I have been on for many years
However, you would not notice I have the condition as so far I am free of severe pain.

Aveline Sat 10-Feb-24 12:03:12

I had an episode of nasty hip pain at night but, to my surprise, it is OK now. I think I must have done something to it at Aquafit. I'd thought, 'Here we go again. Another hip replacement.' Phew.
Sorry. That doesn't help the OP much other than it might improve?

twinnytwin Sat 10-Feb-24 12:12:57

I thought I'd just comment. For ages I had pain in my right hip area which was waking me up every night. Once I was up and about, no pain. I went to the doctor as I was worried it about my hip bone deteriorating. After examining me, he said that in fact it was a small muscle deep in my buttock that was causing the problem - nothing skeletal. I self-referred myself to the physiotherapist at the hospital who examined me and gave me a few exercises to do at home. I'm now pain-free and just do the exercises for a few days if it seems to be reoccurring. This obviously isn't much help for those needing hip replacements, but may be useful to others.

Grantanow Sat 10-Feb-24 13:27:13

A strong anti-inflammatory from my GP and a bit of physio cured my hip pain.