Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice re best cooking device for 93 year old

(36 Posts)
Cazharvey Tue 23-Jan-24 14:04:55

Hi my mother is 93 and still living independently and cooking her own meals. Her eyesight is failing and she has left the gas turned on, on the hob a couple of times. I’m just wondering if any of you have any suggestions for an alternative way of making her meals, preferably using an electric cooker/device. She has a slow cooker that she uses but struggles with the microwave . Many thanks (in advance ) for your help.

Farmor15 Tue 23-Jan-24 14:33:41

An induction hob would be safer than gas or conventional electric hob. You can get small 2 ring ones that plug in, but she would have to have the right saucepans to suit. Also, she might find it hard to get used to if she has trouble with microwave.

Farmor15 Tue 23-Jan-24 14:36:10

Microwave is probably best option, but a very simple one - the sort with 2 dials - one for power the other for time. Any of the digital display ones can be confusing.

Salti Tue 23-Jan-24 15:41:12

I have a relative who is in his eighties and registered blind. I've just bought him a basic air fryer. He has really taken to it and has an ever expanding list of foods that he cooks in it.

Sago Tue 23-Jan-24 15:53:53

I have a Candy microwave, 2 dials, one for temperature and one for the time, it’s foolproof.
Also I too would recommend an air fryer, mine has too many functions to recommend for an elderly person bit there are some more basic ones.

Imarocker Tue 23-Jan-24 16:11:57

My mother gave up cooking and we bought her ready meals.

Jaxjacky Tue 23-Jan-24 16:50:21

My Mum had ready meals too, but they still needed heating in the microwave, which she managed.
We had the gas capped off.

welbeck Tue 23-Jan-24 18:22:20

are you sure it is only a sight problem.
many people at that age begin to struggle to look after themselves safely, to carry out sequences of actions in a reliable way.

V3ra Tue 23-Jan-24 19:42:28

My mother-in-law is 96 and has macular degeneration.
She has meals delivered by Wiltshire Farm Foods which she likes.
The delivery driver writes her a sticky label in thick black pen for each box with the number of minutes to microwave it for.
He puts them in the freezer for her.

The RNIB visited when she was first diagnosed and put bright orange sticky buttons at the appropriate places on the microwave dial, washing machine dial and central heating thermostat dial.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 23-Jan-24 22:56:11

My aunty in her nineties and had always cooked was a fan of Wiltshire Farm Foods.

Cazharvey Wed 24-Jan-24 17:16:40

Many thanks for all your replies. I’m going to have a word with her and see what is the best option. I liked the idea of a two ring hob, there are some with a small oven and it could sit on top of the worktop. We tried the meals on wheels and they were not very nice at all but I have seen the Wiltshire Farms meals . It might be worth her trying those. Thanks again your replies have really been helpful.

CocoPops Wed 24-Jan-24 18:25:06

My aunt had become frail and was not eating enough so we ordered Wiltshire Farm meals which she enjoyed.

NotSpaghetti Wed 24-Jan-24 23:00:11

My mother-in-law really doesn't like Wiltshire Farm. She likes "Cook" best and some of the Waitrose and M&S offerings.
She doesn't fancy a microwave so buys the ones she can cook in her (electric) oven.

She is 99 but seems to still be safe with her gas hob.

Sorry I can't offer any safe ideas.

travelsafar Wed 24-Jan-24 23:07:15

What about meals on wheels, the safest option I believe. Plus it would mean a daily visit from someone.

Whiff Thu 25-Jan-24 06:03:24

Cazharvey couldn't you batch cook for your mom and then all she has to do is reheat in an oven or microwave. That way she has healthy meals . Because of my disability I cook my porridge in the microwave . I batch cook homemade soup red lentils and whatever veg I like enough for 6 lunches stored in large plastic container in the fridge. But if your mom likes soup it could be stored in individual boxes or bowls with cling film over the top. I also cook enough stew with either chicken breast, Quorn mince, chicken pieces or 8 browned sausages cut into 8 again fir 6 dinners which I portion into 6 oven proof dishes and store in the fridge. I can't cut up veg and haven't for years but found way to do things . I can peel and veg goes in whole and cut into the stew with kitchen scissors once cooked. My soup is blitz with a hand blender . I am 65 but was born disabled with a rare hereditary neurological condition and a hole in my heart.

I moved from a large 3 bed house to a 2 bed bungalow 4.5 years ago and had the kitchen and shower room fitted to make it safe for me . Induction hob and high up electric cooker,dishwasher you only have to press 2 buttons on the front and an easy us washing machine with large dials.

By doing my own meals I know exactly what goes into to and it's cheaper to cook for me. I couldn't eat ready meals had to in the past when seriously ill but didn't like them. My daughter cuts things up for me when needed and pops into the freezer ready to use.

If your mom likes cake you could bake for her cut it up and put slices in the freezer for her if she doesn't like a slice everyday day. Or as I did with my mom before she couldn't look after herself and lived with me last 18 months of her life. We used to bake together at her home which she loved and I took homemade soup I made at home. But batch cooked meals for her at her house already in the fridge then for her. I used to leave a notice on a cupboard reminding her what time to do her meals and cooking times . Had a timer with large dial with instructions how long to set it for.

NotSpaghetti Thu 25-Jan-24 07:01:43

Whiff, we also regularly cook soup for my mother-in-law. Always appreciated and not difficult.

Knitandnatter Thu 25-Jan-24 07:11:48

My Dad tried Wiltshire Farm but didn't like them. I was working at the time - 12 hour shifts - and would batch cook for myself so it was no detriment to cook extra for Dad.
He had a nutritious meal as and when he wanted it and I had the peace of mind that he was eating balanced meals with no nasty additives.

Curtaintwitcher Thu 25-Jan-24 07:19:58

I have tried Wiltshire Farmfoods and didn't like them at all. They tasted very mass-produced. Reminded me of school dinners.
Now that I'm on my own, it's wasteful to use a full-size oven so I have bought small cooking gadgets....an egg-poacher, a halogen oven and an electric steamer. I don't know how someone will sight problems would manage, but all of these have timers and turn themselves off when done.

Charleygirl5 Fri 26-Jan-24 06:56:29

Curtaintwitcher I have Macular Degeneration and my main problem is reading the minute writing on the rear of packets re how long to cook something.

I bought a simple air fryer and I use it most days. My microwave cost me over £100 but it is so easy to use-nothing to read or twist only 4 buttons to press and it is easily remembered.

I cook most of my food but in the freezer I have a few microwavable meals for my lazy days. Some were cooked by me others from M&S or Waitrose my nearest supermarket.

NotSpaghetti Fri 26-Jan-24 14:13:50

Charleygirl5 could someone marker-pen how many minutes for you? Someone was doing that upthread. I think it's a good idea.

Cazharvey Wed 31-Jan-24 12:53:13

Whiff thank you for your advice. She’s happy just now with the M and S ready meals. They do mini meals too which she’s trying.
I’ve taken on board your suggestions and will see how things go.

Cazharvey Wed 31-Jan-24 12:55:43

Charleygirl5 thanks for your tips, my mother has macular degeneration too. She has ordered some marker pens which should make her life easier

MissAdventure Wed 31-Jan-24 12:59:57

Oakhouse is another company that is like Wilshire farm foods, and they are also pretty good.
They also stock shopping items - everything a person would need.

NotSpaghetti Wed 31-Jan-24 20:38:04

Not sure if people are aware but Morrisons still have a phone line ordering service so you can call them and place an order over the phone.

My mother-in-law loves it for all her basics and she says the people on the phone are "really lovely" 👍

annodomini Wed 31-Jan-24 21:35:56

I have looked at the Wiltshire Farm menu on line but it makes very little provision for vegetarians and vegans. Maybe there is a company that caters for those of us who don't eat meat, Does anyone here know of such a firm? I can cook for myself and a big pan of soup lasts the better part of a week. I'm also within easy reach, by car, of Waitrose in one direction and M&S in the other, but it would be handy to have some meals delivered.