Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you find it annoying when people use a diminutive form of your name without asking?

(223 Posts)
25Avalon Thu 01-Feb-24 18:05:00

Some friends call me by my full first name and others a shortened version, such as Susan and Sue. I get annoyed when people I don’t know do this. I am secretary of a sports club and always sign myself with my full first name in a professional manner. Back the emails come nine times out of ten with the shortened version as if we are bosom chums which we aren’t. I sometimes I haven’t even met them.I think it’s rude and presumptuous. What do others think?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 01-Feb-24 18:10:36

Life’s too short.

Blossoming Thu 01-Feb-24 18:13:54

There isn’t a diminutive of my name.

BlueBelle Thu 01-Feb-24 18:17:53

I want them to use the diminutive I prefer it to my full name (which is rarely used)

Oldnproud Thu 01-Feb-24 18:20:38

People who don't know me don't tend to shorten my name, but they do often use a different version of it. It only bothers me if I am already annoyed with them.

Theexwife Thu 01-Feb-24 18:21:29

They probably think they are being friendly, it would not be done with malice.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 01-Feb-24 18:26:17

I would find that annoying too, 25Avalon. My name has a variety of shortened versions but I almost always use the full one, and always the full one to people I don’t know. There are also lots of ways of spelling it, so I’m quite used to people getting that wrong if they’ve only heard, not read it!

rosie1959 Thu 01-Feb-24 18:32:13

Germanshepherdsmum

Life’s too short.

Most definitely

eazybee Thu 01-Feb-24 18:52:30

Can't say it would bother me.
Do get annoyed when people cold-calling address me by my Christian name.

rafichagran Thu 01-Feb-24 18:58:27

Would not bother me either.

kittylester Thu 01-Feb-24 19:01:46

I get really (unreasonably!?) cross when people reply to emails and miss off the 'e' at the end.

Worse though is the person I have known for 10 years or so who persists in calling me 'Fleur - I know it's not your name but I can never remember your name but they are both posh!'

hazel93 Thu 01-Feb-24 19:06:33

Oh, do get over yourself !

Grandyma Thu 01-Feb-24 19:10:23

My name is easily shortened from 2 syllables to one. 25Avalon I feel the same way as you. I wouldn’t say it annoys me but I do wish people wouldn’t do it.

dogsmother Thu 01-Feb-24 19:13:01

It irritates me. Don’t know why as general I am one of life’s easy going laidback people.
What irritates more is on behalf of other people, for instance when someone calls a Carolyn, Caroline and so forth. Why should it bother me ……..complete irrational, but there you are.

AreWeThereYet Thu 01-Feb-24 19:16:33

Just shows how different we all are. The people who do it are probably in the 'don't care if people do it' camp. Or maybe think they're being friendly.

These days I think some people consider anyone they have contact with to be a friend - the result of too much social media, I think.

Curlywhirly Thu 01-Feb-24 19:30:25

Oh life is definitely too short to sweat the small stuff! I don't even get annoyed when people get my name completely wrong 😉

flappergirl Thu 01-Feb-24 19:32:24

No I don't but I live in Bristol where every name is shortened.

Harris27 Thu 01-Feb-24 19:33:00

Doesn’t bother me

MissInterpreted Thu 01-Feb-24 19:33:37

No, as mine can't be shortened. Although sometimes people do assume that my name is the shortened version of a longer name, which in my case, it isn't and is a name in its own right. Think of it like being named Maggie at birth, but people assuming you were actually named Margaret.

OldFrill Thu 01-Feb-24 19:35:23

flappergirl

No I don't but I live in Bristol where every name is shortened.

And an L or two added on 🙂

GrannyGravy13 Thu 01-Feb-24 19:37:10

I have the opposite problem, my given name is often lengthened.

Grandma70s Thu 01-Feb-24 19:37:54

I wouldn’t like it, but it’s not really possible to shorten the name I am known by (my middle name).

It annoys me when people shorten my sons’ names, but it doesn’t bother them.

I’m interested in names, and like to read any Births columns that list the baby names - the Telegraph, fo example. I’m surprised by how many people use diminutives as given names, such as Alfie, Charlie, even Joey. Not so many girls’ names, but I have known an Annie. I always imagine how a name is going to sound when read out at their graduation or wedding.

Bella23 Thu 01-Feb-24 19:39:33

I don't and never have liked my name and where I come from rhymes with an unpleasant descriptive word of someone so they can call me whatever they like.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Feb-24 19:44:52

😄😄no of course not!

winterwhite Thu 01-Feb-24 19:48:17

Yes, it happens to me and annoys me.