Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Harmless social media post

(73 Posts)
Cambsnan Thu 08-Feb-24 17:55:12

I posted a light and I thought, funny, post about not wanting to be 70. My late friend’s daughter posted a comment about ageing being a privilege her Mum was denied. True but did she need to add it and how do I respond?

BlueBelle Thu 08-Feb-24 17:56:48

Don’t …there’s absolutely no need to reply everyone will have a different take and she’s allowed her opinion as much as you

Cossy Thu 08-Feb-24 18:00:58

Just ignore it! I know it’s sad but it makes no difference My husband will be 70 next year, he too doesn’t want to be 70, but still wants to be alive! flowers

MissAdventure Thu 08-Feb-24 18:02:54

I'd agree with her.
I really dislike people who do the sort of thing she has done.

Smileless2012 Thu 08-Feb-24 18:07:38

I'd ignore it.

Doodledog Thu 08-Feb-24 18:13:31

I don't like it either. She's entitled to an opinion, but Facebook isn't really for discussion, and if she wanted to talk about her mum she could have done it on her own feed, rather than raining on your parade.

Could she have meant it kindly - as in 'cheer up, it's better than being dead'?

Either way, I'd also ignore it.

MissAdventure Thu 08-Feb-24 18:14:55

"Cheer up, it's better than being dead' grin

foxie48 Thu 08-Feb-24 18:51:47

You could always acknowledge the post with a care emoji.

Theexwife Thu 08-Feb-24 18:57:38

I would do as foxie28 suggests. it is understandable that people are sensitive when they have lost somebody, it happens a lot on here when people complain about their husbands someone will always reply how lucky the person is to have one.

Labradora Thu 08-Feb-24 18:57:44

I agree that she's entitled to her point of view but you were being light-hearted, were you not?

Was the bereavement very recent ? If it was and if I valued my relationship with her(or possibly even if I didn't) I might reply privately to her that I meant no offence.

Iam64 Thu 08-Feb-24 19:57:43

Ignore x

lemsip Thu 08-Feb-24 21:26:38

ignore it...

Serendipity22 Thu 08-Feb-24 22:34:30

Oh dear.. dont take it to heart. Its black print on a social media site, absolutely void of how it was actually meant to come across. She is obviously hurting. I would ignore the words typed out ....

petra Thu 08-Feb-24 22:38:55

People replying to a post in any way they choose comes with the territory by posting on social media.

Doodledog Fri 09-Feb-24 01:07:43

MissAdventure

"Cheer up, it's better than being dead' grin

Ok, I was clutching at straws a bit grin. I was trying to say (clumsily) that sometimes people say hurtful things when they are trying to be kind, as they just get the words wrong (as I've proved!).

It could be that she was responding to a post saying Cambsnan didn't want to be 70 by pointing out that there is another way to look at it that might be better for her. I am going to stop there before I dig a deeper hole grin

Curtaintwitcher Fri 09-Feb-24 06:52:21

A bit mean-spirited of her. One thing you must not do is apologise. Best to say nothing and move on.

DanniRae Fri 09-Feb-24 07:42:31

Ignore it!

maddyone Fri 09-Feb-24 07:54:58

Theexwife

I would do as foxie28 suggests. it is understandable that people are sensitive when they have lost somebody, it happens a lot on here when people complain about their husbands someone will always reply how lucky the person is to have one.

My sister did that all the time and even said it to her aging parents who were in their late eighties. She was horrible to them. Everyone was very upset by her husband’s death, particularly as we realised how vulnerable she was with her mental health issues but it was nasty of her in my opinion to be so cruel to our parents. I could take it when she said it to me, but not to very elderly people. After all, no one can help when they die.

Purplepixie Fri 09-Feb-24 09:43:30

I’m over 70 and each day is a bonus! Celebrate! Yahoo! Try not to let things get to you that do not really matter. Have a wonderful weekend and old age!

pascal30 Sun 11-Feb-24 11:07:45

social media can be very upsetting if you take things personally but you spoke your truth and so did she.. you don't need to respond

Rainey7 Sun 11-Feb-24 11:11:25

I am not on any social media now it seems to just be an outlet for people to be nasty, jump on bandwagon, snidey etc. They type without thinking of what they post can affect other people. You should be able to put what ever you like on own profile without bad comments!

petra Sun 11-Feb-24 11:16:27

Rainey7

I am not on any social media now it seems to just be an outlet for people to be nasty, jump on bandwagon, snidey etc. They type without thinking of what they post can affect other people. You should be able to put what ever you like on own profile without bad comments!

You’ve posted on Gransnet. It’s a social media site.

BrandyGran Sun 11-Feb-24 11:38:55

My friend said she didn’t like being 70. My reaction was that it s an achievement but if yr lucky life goes on as you have no control as to when it will stop. I like the post that suggested a care emoji and leave it at that. You didn’t mean any harm.

Tenaciousd Sun 11-Feb-24 11:41:31

We all see things that 'trigger' us on social media.
The best thing for people to do is ask themselves is it really necessary to comment? Or keep off social media if you can't hold your tongue. In her case, it wasn't necessary to bring her late mother into it.
It's sad when people don't live to a ripe old age - my own mother died in her early sixties - but such is life.I wouldn't resent anyone else for living longer but not wanting to be 'old'. Ignore the comment.

sarahcyn Sun 11-Feb-24 11:42:38

People generally post responses like that for one of two reasons:
1 they are feeling very low at the particular moment they read the original post
2 they get a kick, whether they realise it or not, out of slapping people down with a line of “black print on a social media site” as @serendipity22 beautifully puts it.