Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Committee chair problem

(41 Posts)
Cabbie21 Tue 01-Sept-26 13:13:18

I’m not giving too much detail for obvious reasons.
The Chair of a committee I am on seems to treat the organisation as his own property.
The Committee recently needed to resolve a particular issue and took a decision. There was no vote. Now the Chair has subsequently overruled the committee decision and issued instructions to resolve the situation differently.
I have no particular view as to whether the Committee’s decision or the Chair’s decision was the better way, but I do think the Chair had no right to overrule in this way.
Fair enough, if there had been a vote with no majority either way, the Chair would have had a casting vote, but he has acted outside of the Committee.
I feel very uncomfortable about this. It is realistically too late now to alter the plan, but I am not happy to just let this situation go. What would you do?

fancythat Wed 02-Sept-26 15:58:20

I know of some that fold.

The world did not cave in.

fancythat Wed 02-Sept-26 16:00:13

In the ones that folded, there were always some plusses, as well as minuses.

Aveline Wed 02-Sept-26 16:11:12

I'm on the board of a small charity. We do a great job on very little funding. Our chair is a stickler for procedure and that works. It's fair and transparent. However, I suspect that if/when we all leave the board the charity will fold.
The world is run by those who turn up.

M0nica Wed 02-Sept-26 16:43:17

I was on a committee, on and off for 30 years. In all that time we only had 2 difficult occasions when the Treasurer tried to run the committtee by holding the purse strings, we worked amicably together and the society flourished and grew.

Geordiegirl1 Wed 02-Sept-26 17:14:33

She said there had been no vote. So rather sticky ground from thé off!

greyfur16 Wed 02-Sept-26 17:32:22

Is this work, volunteering or pleasure please?

M0nica Wed 02-Sept-26 18:45:46

Geordiegirl1

She said there had been no vote. So rather sticky ground from thé off!

This is why we always had a vote on everything.

However the fact that, officially there was no vote does not give the Chairman the right to make unilateral decisions. The decision must just be sent back to the committee for a vote to be taken.

Estrellita Wed 02-Sept-26 20:10:01

I don't do commitees.

Aveline Wed 02-Sept-26 21:18:35

Well its just as well other people step up then Estrellita

GrauntyHelen Thu 03-Sept-26 01:59:17

It is my firm belief that a large percentage of people have no idea how a committee works or how to run a meeting

eazybee Thu 03-Sept-26 10:22:09

I am assuming that the Chairman did not attend the meeting when a decision was taken of which he subsequently disapproved, and altered without consultation?

I am pretty sure he is exceeding his authority and his decision must be challenged, otherwise he will continue to overrule.

StTrinians Thu 03-Sept-26 10:59:43

Oreo and Shelflife. I do agree with you both. I avoid committees now. I have no further yearning to be on them. In my experience, those who Chair can be like your Chair in this instance. If you are brave, I would call the Chair out over their behaviour, at the next meeting (very brave). So, I would ask to place an item about it on the next meeting's Agenda, as that is diplomatic..or, you could raise it under AOB? ( That is a bit more like an ambush though.) By all means discuss it with the other committee members. I would try to be both diplomatic but firm. If the worst comes to the worst, and it becomes too unpleasant, you could just resign. Good luck!! smile

M0nica Fri 04-Sept-26 13:35:15

Well someone has to run all the groups that other people benefit from but do not contribute to.

I have been on various committees for over 60 years and most have run efficiently and well.

I did walk away from one because it was disorganised and only succeeded by driving to the Chairman's house after dark and leaving all my papers in a box on her doorstep. One we had, successively Treasurers, who thought that because they had the cheque book they effectively ran the society. They both resigned and once when I was Treasurer of another society I resigned when they decided to take on obligations I had advised them they could not meet. I did not make any kind of fuss. Just said advised them that I could not remain Treasurer of a Society that took on commitments it could not meet. Fortunately they later had second thoughts about the scheme and it did not go ahead.

But I have never been on one of those cliquey, prima donna committees so many people write about all the time. Most of the time, the committees I have been on have worked happily and effectively

Tizliz Fri 04-Sept-26 13:59:16

I was treasurer of a committee that rarely met, didn't publish minutes and most members were on it in name only. I resigned after being accused of theft - had moved the money to a savings account (in the club's name). The chairman knew but no meetings to discuss this until AGM when the secretary just looked at the bank statement for the main a/c and blew his top.

As I didn't get to explain some people spread the word and my name was mud. Could still be but I don't mix with them anymore.

Never again will I be on a committee

nanna8 Sun 06-Sept-26 12:19:13

Tizliz In my litigious country you would have sued for wrongful accusations.Probably made a fair old stash,too !