Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

DIL Requested a £100 Baby Gym

(120 Posts)
Roseyposy Tue 08-Sept-26 16:07:50

My son and DIL decided tomove abroad from London in May this year, whilst expecting my first Grandchild. It was a bit of a shock for me as my son is my only child and I don't have much family and I was really looking forward to the birth of the baby and being a hands on doting grandma. I'm not ashamed to say the sudden news really affected me but I just got on with things and wished them well. I don't really get on with my DIL as she's hard to read and quite direct and a bit demandin. She never mentioned the move to me once, until I brought it up.

My son came up to visit me before leaving and I gave him beautiful outfits for the baby and a Peter Rabbit for the baby to cuddle in his cot. I wrapped them in lovely gift paper and popped in a congratulations card for July when the baby would be born. I had showed them all to my son and he was appreciative. I'm the type of person who gets happiness out of giving and am a people pleaserm

However, a month went by and there was no acknowledgement of the gifts from my DIL. It just would have been nice to share her reaction to them really. I asked my son had she opened them and he said she had and liked them. I couldn't help say to him that a thank you would have been nice. He just said they'd been busy. A month after the birth I spoke to my DIL and she told me the outfits are in a suitcase they haven't unpacked ,so haven't opened them yet.

Baby is 2 months now and to date I've not seen pics of him in any of the lovely outfits I bought and he's actually seen wearing the same clothes frequently. I therefore texted my DIL asking her would she like me to send a couple of all- in ones similar to what he's been wearing, over with my sister in law who will be visiting her son over there next week. The response was that it's very hot weather at the moment - 42 degrees and the baby isn't going out in the heat to wear outfits. She then asked if I could send some sensory toys over with her instead. The next thing, I received a message enclosing a pic of a fancy £100 baby gym asking if I'd like to buy it as a gift instead of sending any toys over .

I feel I've already spent £100 on the gifts that she didn't acknowledge and I didn't see any of the outfits being worn. There's a big difference from me offering clothing/ toy to being asked to buy a £100 baby gym.. I'm in dilemma what to do as she's messaged me again today saying 'no pressure but would I be buying it'. I know Grandparents spoil their grandchildren but you would normally get pleasure from it and I don't feel that this time. They don't want visitors until the time is right for them, which I have respected, so it's probably going to be another 2 months until I see my grandson.

Advice appreciated.

Roseyposy Sat 12-Sept-26 01:51:33

Nannan2

Well OP never said a 'written' thank you- just a word of mouth or text one would be good enough,but the D-in-L obviously hasnt been brought up with same manners as the op's son.🤔She sounds entitled tbh if she asks for certain expensive items, seeing as shes already received some lovely gifts for their baby, and i suspect a lot of the mumsnet younger mums on here are the ones saying "just buy the gift"? Wouldnt that £100 best be put towards an air-fare to go SEE the grandchild soon instead? No i dont think she should just hand over the money,but say no to the daughter in law,as shes saving for a ticket to go see them instead.Then D-in-L can cross her off for gift and ask another mug instead.or buy herself, if she wants it so much.

Indeed - just a text acknowledgement and to share in the pregnancy a bit with her a few months before the move and the birth. Plus a £100 is a lot to me. They had been busy going to several weddings abroad during her pregnancy and I never saw her throughout it or had any communication. I actually thought the gift parcel had maybe got lost until I asked my son a month later. Yes, I guess young mums would just say buy the gym, hence posting under’ask a gran’. and yes DIL is self entitled and they are well off. Good job I didn’t offer to buy the pram - they bought a £950 one!

Roseyposy Sat 12-Sept-26 02:07:54

Basgetti

Shouldn’t your title read your son and Dil requested a £100 baby gym?

No - my son would never dream of asking me for anything. He’s aware of my budget.

Robin202 Sat 12-Sept-26 11:34:15

I totally understand how you’re feeling and not to receive any acknowledgment for your gifts from your DIL is just plain bad manners and for her to put in her request for a £100 baby gym, I feel is bad manners and unappreciative. If you feel taken for granted and would prefer not to buy this gym, then you are perfectly at liberty not to., especially as you’ve spent a similar amount already. .

NotSpaghetti Sat 12-Sept-26 12:13:37

I am sorry you feel like this but maybe you can slowly build connections.

Look for the very best in her and I think you will find more to love.
This, after all, is the woman your son has chosen to make his future with.
You love your son. You have that (at least) in common.
Keeping 🤞 for you.

Hithere Sat 12-Sept-26 13:02:47

Op

I understand you cannot afford £100, so it is more than your right to establish your boundaries about your finances.
I am 100% on your side there.

You clearly resent yout son and dil are well off

Dubai's lifestyle of having househelp is very common, the norm there
It is a culture shock for us.

What your dil does in Dubai is none of your business, it is clearly you do not like her but you cannot use it against her
If your son has an issue with her activities, he will address it with her.

Suggestions for presents being questioned is a dangerous path

It is a power struggle control with the parents of the grandchild - THEY set up the rules, whether you like it or not

Enough questioning of those rules will get you in a bad spot with them and get you shut out

Your son, the son YOU raised, fell in love and married a woman you have to stop competing and negotiating clauses with.

NotSpaghetti Sat 12-Sept-26 13:24:11

I don't think it's a power-struggle. WE had our turn already.

Going back to expensive gifts
I have recently asked for a birthday gift list for a grandson. It has a specific football kit on it which is a lot of money!
We did buy a football kit once a couple of years ago when we had more income.

I have said "happy to go halves on the kit" or will buy the football he wants.

No problem.
I don't think there is any shame in not having lots of spare cash.
Just say "I can't afford that, unfortunately", if the gifts are too much.
That's what I do.
My family understands - yours will do too.

Roseyposy Sat 12-Sept-26 16:58:04

Hithere

Op

I understand you cannot afford £100, so it is more than your right to establish your boundaries about your finances.
I am 100% on your side there.

You clearly resent yout son and dil are well off

Dubai's lifestyle of having househelp is very common, the norm there
It is a culture shock for us.

What your dil does in Dubai is none of your business, it is clearly you do not like her but you cannot use it against her
If your son has an issue with her activities, he will address it with her.

Suggestions for presents being questioned is a dangerous path

It is a power struggle control with the parents of the grandchild - THEY set up the rules, whether you like it or not

Enough questioning of those rules will get you in a bad spot with them and get you shut out

Your son, the son YOU raised, fell in love and married a woman you have to stop competing and negotiating clauses with.

I don't resent my son & DIL for being well off at all. What sort of mother wouldn't want their child to do well for themselves and be proud ! You are missing the point - I was just putting into context in response to another post, that my DIL is not rushing around frazzled with a new born as someone else suggested. I'm well aware of the norm of standard of living in Dubai and. We lived in Singapore many years ago so I have experienced similar, to a degree. There is no competing fgs! You cannot go through life demanding and not giving and need some self-awareness. As for rules the baby is just 2 months old but obviously Grandparents should respect parents rules when they come into play. Rules are currently not an issue unless you mean their rule is everything they buy has to be top of the range lol.

Roseyposy Sat 12-Sept-26 17:08:55

Nannan2

Maybe you could ask her to send back the unused and obviously unworn outfits/toys you gave them so you can return those & then send money for baby gym then instead??& i would ask her why it has to be THAT particular baby gym as well?maybe she could supply pics of it etc etc? If you could get one for less that does same things i would suggest the alternative? I think shes having you for a mug tbh and thinking, "oh his nan is going to pay for the very expensive item i want to get,no problem"- if its so great why hasnt she& your son bought it themselves by now instead? Its what parents do, mostly.If she says its too dear,say yes, well it is for me as well,but you'll gladly return all the other stuff you got if she returns them to you and then you can give that money instead.(is the gym a christening gift?parents dont usually ASK for particular gifts,especially very expensive items unless its a special occasion maybe?(you know similar to a wedding gift list?) You could tell her that,maybe she thinks thats what new parents do,like newly weds?But not usually,in real world- folk just buy a new baby or even christening gift that THEY choose,& want to buy.

Obviously too late to return the items as they were given 4 months ago ahead of the July birth. However, I work in a Food bank and see how young family's are struggling today and would like to pass them on at some stage if that's agreeable with my DIL.
Re the baby gym type, it was just her preference for the brand of the gym that she suggested as a gift from me. Maybe I'll suggest something expensive for her Christmas gift to me Lol.

Margs Sat 12-Sept-26 18:24:25

Ungratefulness must be her default position.

greyfur16 Sat 12-Sept-26 20:04:35

Margs

Ungratefulness must be her default position.

Don't give anything if you are expecting something back.

SuzieHi Sat 12-Sept-26 21:05:42

I think I’d send some money and say “
Please use this to buy some sensory toys for……,,,,. When you’ve got time I’d love a photo of him playing with them”.
Do as others have suggested and ask for a list of a few things he’d like for Xmas or birthday and go from there. No point in wasting money on things they don’t like or want. Hope you get to see him soon.

Roseyposy Sat 12-Sept-26 21:27:29

Don't expect anything in life but I believe in good manners. However not everyone 'sings from the same page' in life- A Lesson learnt. I may request gifts for myself now Lol

Doodledog Sat 12-Sept-26 21:53:46

Realistically I think you need to think about what you want from giving gifts and how far you are prepared to distance yourself if you don’t get the response you are looking for.

If the sacrifice that might mean is something you are willing to give, then keep on the road you are on. If not, look at how you can mellow a little?

Jodieb Sun 13-Sept-26 13:15:02

How come they don't want visitors yet but your SIL is going?

dragonfly46 Sun 13-Sept-26 13:27:49

My soon to be ex, DiL, is exactly the same and for 10 years my DS supported her expensive needs and demands.
He is now realising that nothing he did would make her happy.
She used to ask for expensive presents from us because she sees us as well off. I don't think she has ever bought us anything.

She refuses to work as she calls all the money my DS earns as family money for her to spend as she wishes.
I wish you luck with your DiL as we are now facing further expense extricating him from the situation.

Roseyposy Sun 13-Sept-26 15:49:34

Jodieb

How come they don't want visitors yet but your SIL is going?

Sister in law is going to visit her son for his Birthday, who also lives in Dubai

Roseyposy Sun 13-Sept-26 16:22:47

dragonfly46

My soon to be ex, DiL, is exactly the same and for 10 years my DS supported her expensive needs and demands.
He is now realising that nothing he did would make her happy.
She used to ask for expensive presents from us because she sees us as well off. I don't think she has ever bought us anything.

She refuses to work as she calls all the money my DS earns as family money for her to spend as she wishes.
I wish you luck with your DiL as we are now facing further expense extricating him from the situation.

That’s an awful situation, so much self-entitlement. Refuses to work- that’s a lot of pressure for your son as most couples both have to both work today. At least my DIL worked hard to set up her own start up company and deserves the life she has..

We don’t give to receive but a gift at Christmas for you would have acknowledged you, no matter how little it cost. I got laughed at for sending nice Christmas cards and that no one sends them anymore. I think many of todays generation lack emotional intelligence - schools are considering teaching it, which says a lot.

I wish your son luck for the future. Do they have children?

Multigra1n Sun 13-Sept-26 19:14:59

My daughter (only child) moved to USA and has given us 3 grandchildren. We miss them more than I can say. I would buy the gym and ask for photos. Be as blunt as she has been.

welbeck Sun 13-Sept-26 21:48:06

Don't poke the bear