Present for a new baby

birchermuesli Fri 23-Aug-19 19:07:59

I was about to buy a babygro-type suit for a new baby in the family then chanced to see something in the press that suggested most new mothers get far too many of these and probably have other ideas for better presents. Any suggestions out there?

NotAGran55 Fri 23-Aug-19 19:34:02

www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-baby-towelling-robe-white/p312895?size=3-6-months
I just bought one of these for my friend’s baby and the mum loved it .

baubles Fri 23-Aug-19 19:52:28

Coincidentally there’s a thread on mumsnet about baby presents.
Perhaps you’ll get some ideas there.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3673250-What-was-the-best-gift-you-received-as-a-new-parent

agnurse Fri 23-Aug-19 20:01:43

A few suggestions:

-Receiving blankets. You can never have too many as they can double as burp cloths.

-6-12 month size clothes for baby; this is always my mum's go-to. Babies grow so quickly and so those clothes will come in handy very soon! Just ensure, of course, that trousers snap up the crotch (for ease of changing nappies), tops have snaps on the shoulder (for ease of getting over baby's head), and there isn't too much lace or too many frillies on the clothes (babies often don't like them).

-If you're crafty, you might consider making something special for the baby. Birth records and cross-stitched baby quilts are what I usually give. Cross stitch isn't hard to learn, and birth records are usually fairly simple projects. Cross-stitched baby quilts usually come with the quilt pre-made; it just needs to have the design stitched. You can also cross stitch or embroider baby bibs.

Soupy Fri 23-Aug-19 20:09:23

Books! Maybe one of those crinkly fabric ones that will tie on to a pram.

Minniemoo Fri 23-Aug-19 20:10:45

Can be nice to get older size clothes. Someone gave me a lovely book set of Peter Rabbit. But to be honest my favourite gifts were babygros! You can never have too many!

kircubbin2000 Fri 23-Aug-19 20:15:56

Ours all loved sophie the giraffe feather, comes in several sizes.

kircubbin2000 Fri 23-Aug-19 20:16:55

Teether. Autospell!

notanan2 Fri 23-Aug-19 20:24:43

www.amazon.co.uk/Bright-Bots-Unisex-Muslin-Squares/dp/B01GCJTHJC?tag=gransnetforum-21

Farmor15 Fri 23-Aug-19 20:43:33

I second the idea of books. My 2 daughters both had babies in the last couple of years and got so many presents of clothes that we could have opened a shop! Both of them had a few friends who gave some lovely books, which I realised were an excellent idea.

GagaJo Fri 23-Aug-19 21:50:33

I once bought another English teacher friend a lovely book of children's Shakespeare stories as a newborn gift. She loved it!

Scentia Fri 23-Aug-19 22:14:05

My daughter has just donated a mound of clothes her son never got up wear so I wouldn’t get clothes. She got some post natal bath products at her baby shower and thought it was lovely to get something for her too.

CanadianGran Fri 23-Aug-19 22:15:10

How about a nice pram-size blanket?
Another option is a dish set with bowl and double handled cup. Royal Doulton Bunnykins come to mind.

birchermuesli Fri 23-Aug-19 22:52:59

What wonderful ideas, thank you all so much!!

Tangerine Fri 23-Aug-19 23:26:28

Perhaps an outfit for a 6 - 12 month old child. People give you such a lot of presents when you first have a baby but the baby grows and you end up with a 6 month old child with few clothes.

If you enclose a gift receipt, they can change it without embarrassment. Your taste may not be their taste.

BradfordLass72 Sat 24-Aug-19 01:22:19

I've bought trees for my grand-children and several others.

They are planted in a permanent re-foresting area by an agency and the child gets a certificate and can go visit later if it wishes.
For a little extra, a plaque can be placed near the tree with the child, or adult's name.

I prefer this to something which will be outgrown or thrown away.

Hithere Sat 24-Aug-19 02:28:38

Nosefrida. A life saver when baby has a cold

NotSpaghetti Sat 24-Aug-19 06:26:05

FOOD is the best gift in my experience.
Things that need no prep and can go straight in the oven/on the table.
Also, especially if intending to breastfeed, healthy snacks that can be popped into the mouth one-handed.
Maybe a food delivery voucher (do “Cook” do these?)...

I could have wept with relief when people brought me ready prepared meals all those years ago. I can remember the meal from one friend I haven’t seen or heard from for 30 plus years - just because it felt like a life-saver!
My good friend’s daughter was genuinely delighted when we gifted dinners recently.

Books are lovely though if you are concerned about something to keep.

crystaltipps Sat 24-Aug-19 06:39:45

Don’t get soft toys or teddys. They always have one favourite and the rest are left to get dusty on the shelves. Maybe be some first teething or pram toys or a nice wooden toy that will last. I usually make a cot quilt or knit something.

kittylester Sat 24-Aug-19 07:08:05

I buy a selection of Shirley Hughes books, usually the Alfie ones!