Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Thrush

(31 Posts)
Carmen54 Tue 19-Dec-23 09:00:26

Hi all happy to be here--Gransnet was recommended by a friend.. Just wanted to chat about Thrush..never had it beofre..used the cream and that got rid of the outside issue however still have the discharge.. and it looks so scary to use and apparently can have horrid side effects

Anyone else used a Pessary and have advice please

Grateful thanks

Sago Tue 19-Dec-23 09:02:33

I have used a tablet bought from an online pharmacy, it’s a single dose and works like magic.

Carmen54 Tue 19-Dec-23 09:31:55

Thank you @Sago Was not sure how far to insert it ..bit concerned about that..really foreign terrotory for me..

Grandyma Tue 19-Dec-23 09:39:51

The pessary will come with an instruction leaflet which will tell you what you need to know. It’s best to insert it as far as you can comfortably do so. I’ve used them many times over the years with excellent results. Also best to use it at night. You’ll be fine.

Bella23 Tue 19-Dec-23 09:41:16

I get thrush when I use any anti-biotic for something else, my GP prescribes the one doze tablet when prescribing the anti-biotics. Push it well up like you would a tampon or it will come out. Like Sago says it is magic.
Hello to a newcomer as well Carmen good to have people joining we are all friendly and as helpful as we can be.

Carmen54 Tue 19-Dec-23 09:57:25

Thank you ..why at night..I live alone and was going to do it at work just in case something went wrong ..I know.. I am really scared about doing this ..so grateful for this help

Luckygirl3 Tue 19-Dec-23 09:59:10

I bung a med up all the time for urinary problems. It truly is a doddle ... don't hold back!

Carmen54 Tue 19-Dec-23 10:00:20

I should imagine need to be lying down so would not be able to do at work Thanks again appreciate the knwoledge you have on this..Did not ever use tampons ..

luluaugust Tue 19-Dec-23 10:01:14

Nightime is best as it will stay in place, really all very easy and works

Grandyma Tue 19-Dec-23 10:22:57

Probably easier if you lay down with your knees bent. You sound very anxious and I promise there is no need to be. 💐

maddyone Tue 19-Dec-23 10:30:13

The pessary comes with an applicator so I advise you to use that. Nothing will go wrong, thousands of women use a pessary every day. They are simple to use, and safe, that’s why you can buy them over the counter.

Carmen54 Tue 19-Dec-23 10:34:26

Ok thanks I am feeling lots better about it..best do it at home then I think..before I go to bed..yes am nervious because haven't done it before and feel I am going to mess it up..But thank you am feeling more confident now

Bella23 Tue 19-Dec-23 11:41:05

If you are worried about the pessary hurting you when you insert it. When you pick your prescription up ask for some lubricant. The tablet will probably come with a tube and a plunger inside the tablet fits on the end. Put your legs as you would for a smear test . Hope this helps.

BigBertha1 Tue 19-Dec-23 11:45:54

Welcome Carmen54 sorry you have this irritating problem I hope you can follow the advice you have been given here. It might be a good idea to have some active yogurt in the next few days to help restore your natural flora. I'm going to do that as I am taking ABs myself. Good luck with the treatment.

Oldbat1 Tue 19-Dec-23 11:58:52

Thrush is so uncomfortable luckily i havent had it for years. Antibiotics eas the reason i would get it. You can buy over the counter medication i believe nowadays. I hate yoghurt so cannot eat it but years ago gp advised using natural yoghurt “down below” if I had a flare up.

Carmen54 Tue 19-Dec-23 12:02:03

Thank you for all the replys greatful..

Luckygirl3 Tue 19-Dec-23 12:25:58

I bung mine in standing up - bend the knees, legs apart - think Laughing Policeman! Angle backwards a bit towards spine rather than straight up.
Good luck - I am sure it will be fine and hope it does the trick for you.

Carmen54 Tue 19-Dec-23 12:30:17

@luckygirl13 do you then just carry on your day or lay down for a while

Sago Tue 19-Dec-23 13:47:52

Sorry, I should have sated it was an oral dose

Whiff Tue 19-Dec-23 16:05:34

I use the cream and a pessary you pop into your vagina . I can't have the tablet because I take Flecainide for my heart and the tablet would not mix with it.
If you are on any tablets always check with the pharmacy if it's safe to take with your medication.

sweetcakes Tue 19-Dec-23 16:11:29

I got thrush years ago by mistake I put on deep heat instead oh wow did it sting!!
But I never got it again 🤷🏻‍♀️

Luckygirl3 Tue 19-Dec-23 16:40:54

Carmen54 - yes I just carry on.

sweetcakes - I was once on the loo at my DD's house and found there was no toilet paper. But on the cistern was a packet of what I thought were baby wipes so I used that instead. They were Dettox wipes! - ouch and double ouch! Luckily there was a shower nearby and I leapt in there!!!!

Carmen54 Thu 21-Dec-23 08:13:07

I did the pessary yesterday..but some were on my under pants and feel quite a bit came back out..is this what happens..does some come back out..not sure wether I need another dose because discharge still very much there today..not sure how long it takes to work I am such a wally when it comes to this stuff ..

Whiff Thu 21-Dec-23 08:38:17

Yes that's normal . Sorry I should have said wear a panty liner . It will take a couple days to clear the discharge is some of pessary clearing the thrush. Continue to use the cream on the outside for 2-3 days 2-3 times a day. Also pat yourself dry don't rub.

Carmen54 Thu 21-Dec-23 08:58:42

Thank you so much Whiff so brilliant being able to talk to other women about this stuff ..Appreciate it so much . so hopefully the excess discharge will be gone soon and hopefully the thrush Thank you