Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Losing a grandchild

(78 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 19-Dec-13 11:10:35

This week, Aka describes the heartbreaking experience of losing a grandchild, and the varying degrees of help and support available when the unimaginable happens.

Please do leave your thoughts below.

KatyK Thu 19-Dec-13 15:50:47

How dreadful. We have lost a child in our family, my nephew, he was 16. At least he had had some life flowers

Icyalittle Thu 19-Dec-13 15:53:50

Aka I am so sorry. I can't bear to think of you all and how you have had to exist and cope. It makes me, a stranger, weep for you all, what you must have felt is beyond my imagining. Your bravery and gallantry in sharing this is immense.

TriciaF Thu 19-Dec-13 16:15:36

What a terrible thing - for your dear son and his wife, and you as grandparents.
PG the little fellow should leave some happy memories.

LizG Thu 19-Dec-13 16:30:22

Aka i honestly don't know what to say, going through that must have given you all unimaginable pain. I look at my family and think of my moans and feel ashamed. (((Hugs))) and flowers

soop Thu 19-Dec-13 16:36:08

Aka I'm so sorry. sunshine

Stansgran Thu 19-Dec-13 16:45:12

So sorry

Marelli Thu 19-Dec-13 16:50:48

There are no words that can describe this awful despair, Aka. I do understand and recognise it though. flowers xx

bikergran Thu 19-Dec-13 17:12:54

how terrible to have a phone call with such distressing and shocking news...

annodomini Thu 19-Dec-13 17:23:26

This is such a courageous blog, Aka. Your enduring grief runs thorough every word. Sympathy is never enough and some wounds never heal. ((((hugs)))) from me.

gratefulgran54 Thu 19-Dec-13 17:43:27

No words. sad flowers ((((hug)))))

ffinnochio Thu 19-Dec-13 17:49:16

Dear Aka
I am so sorry to read of Tommy's short life, and the deep sadness his death has left for all his family.

I feel sure the information on the Charities you mention will support many others, some of whom may not wish to post on here, that have experienced this in their own families.

Live well and embrace Tommy's short happiness with tender thoughts.

suzied Thu 19-Dec-13 18:14:03

This is the first Christmas since my healthy 16 year old niece died in May, so it will be very hard as she loved Christmas and was always central to the celebrations. We will have to make an effort because we have 4 small children in the family, but there will be a big gap and it is hard to know how to cope.

annodomini Thu 19-Dec-13 18:34:01

suzied, what can I say? Words are so inadequate. ((((hugs)))).

GadaboutGran Thu 19-Dec-13 18:38:20

Aka - such a sudden and inexplicable loss is so hard to bear. I am so sad for you all & am pleased you have found a good source of extra support. To Suzied and others facing Christmas without a beloved child may I share how we have faced the last 20 Christmases without our lovely daughter. I learnt that it is possible to have fun at Christmas & not be in a clouded by grief the whole time, though it's often when you are having most fun that the grief can really well up. We did this by making sure we first gave time to our grief on Christmas Day, usually by visiting her grave but also by lighting candles or whatever idea the family came up with. We also mention her by name and talk about Christmases past & the funny things she used to do & raise a toast to her & other absent relatives. I always hang up her stocking with her name on it but now my grand-daughter, whose middle name is for her auntie, uses it. We found that it was when people tried to hide their grief & tears that joy & fun became difficult. At first I just wanted to run away from Christmas & go away but I know people who've done that & they found it even harder to bear. We do try and reduce any unnecessary stresses as it is still a 'sensitive' time. So keep her memory & spirit alive Suzied, especially for the 4 little ones so they know all about her. Love to you too Aka & anyone else without their child or grandchild this Christmas.

glassortwo Thu 19-Dec-13 18:47:13

aka a very brave blog, flowers to you, your family and everyone who is living through this, there are not the words {{{hugs}}}

thatbags Thu 19-Dec-13 18:57:15

I'm thinking the same as glass has just said: a brave blog. flowers

NfkDumpling Thu 19-Dec-13 21:24:10

flowers

Aka Thu 19-Dec-13 21:31:57

Thank you all so much for your understanding and support. I've not been on GN since the blog was posted .. I'll admit to being nervous about how it would be received as it's such a painful subject. I needn't have worried the response has been heart warming.

I miss Tommy so much but thank you for letting me keep his memory alive.

Aka Thu 19-Dec-13 21:34:19

To all those who have also lost a child or grandchild, or indeed anyone close to them flowers

cookiemonster66 Thu 19-Dec-13 23:23:59

Ive just lost my young daughter to Sudden Adult Death Syndrome, so I can understand the pain and heart ache you must be going through especially as Christmas gets nearer, emotions run higher. Big hug to you xxx

Tegan Thu 19-Dec-13 23:32:22

I can't really put into words how sad I feel for those of you that have lost those cherished children and grandchildren. Someone in our village lost a child with leukaemia many years ago and the void is still there. My thoughts are with you; I'm so sorry flowers.

Judthepud2 Fri 20-Dec-13 00:13:06

Aka how brave of you to tell your sad story about your beautiful little grandson. I can't even begin to imagine what you and Tommy's parents have been going through. Such a terrible shock. It is just my worst nightmare. I love my 5 grandchildren so deeply I would be devastated if anything happened to them.

Thank you for sharing the details about the charity. Hopefully it helps anyone else going through the same pain.

flowers

penguinpaperback Fri 20-Dec-13 00:44:24

What a beautiful little boy. My sincere condolences to you Aka and all who loved Tommy and will always love him.
Sincere condolences for all those here who have suffered the loss of those they love dearly. flowers

glammanana Fri 20-Dec-13 09:18:24

Aka such a brave blog ((hugs)) and heartfelt condolences to all who are going through this dreadful pain.flowers

Lona Fri 20-Dec-13 09:21:35

cookiemonster66 flowers Deepest sympathy to you and your family.