Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Mothering Sunday and a lost child ...

(69 Posts)
Imperfect27 Sat 05-Mar-16 08:41:00

We have shared so much on GN about Mothering Sunday (Mother's Day if you prefer) and the ins and outs of whether we set much store by it, what we want / hope for / won't get in terms of visits etc.

I just want to send out hugs across the ether for all those of you who have lost a child / children. This can make what should be a happy day, another difficult day to be managed, even if you have other children.

I know I will inevitably think of my lovely DD2 and I know I need to do something in memory of my lost child this day. I have old cards she sent me that I can look at, but this has just made me more sad in the past. I can go to her grave (not that she is there...) and I will have some flowers in the house. I will remind myself of the very beautiful and unique person she was, how she was loved and cherished, how she will never, ever be forgotten, how she made me a better person for being her parent ...

So, for those of you that carry this ache, flowers and a great big cyber hug. xx

trendygran Sun 06-Mar-16 19:59:19

Thank you Imperfect27 for your hugs and thoughts for those of us who have lost a child like you. I have a lovely card from DD1 and spent a good day with her,my SIL and two grandchildren BUT If only there were still two cards ,as I know there would have been from my beautiful l
ate, DD2. I also cannot stop thinking,even more than usual ,of her 2 daughters ,10 and 8, 300miles away in Wales. I hope they made cards for my SIL's new partner who is lovely and treats the girls as if they were her own. That is what keeps me going but I will always miss DD2 so very much!

Carolebarrel Sun 06-Mar-16 19:57:10

My love and best wishes to all mums who have not been happy today, for whatever reason.

Kittycat Sun 06-Mar-16 19:31:46

Our neighbours daughter gave birth to a (very) little boy 2weeks ago- 7 weeks premature. His Grandmother told us he survived for 6 days. So sad for them all today.

Blinko Sun 06-Mar-16 18:21:08

We are fortunate to have 2DSs and 3 GCs between them. So many reasons to be happy today. But there's always a corner of my heart for our very first DS who was 'born sleeping'. flowers to everyone who's finding it hard today for whatever reason. As one poster says, there are many ways to lose a child...

nipsmum Sun 06-Mar-16 17:29:21

Just had the family for lunch. Love and hugs to all our mums dads and grandparents who can't do such a simple thing.

grannyqueenie Sun 06-Mar-16 17:17:44

My thoughts are with all who have found today a hard one, for whatever reason, and have a sore heart this Mother's Day. Shops full of cards and flowers fail to acknowledge that it's not necessarily a wholly happy day for everyone xx flowers

PRINTMISS Sun 06-Mar-16 17:03:25

Joining with you all in thoughts for those who have lost their children. The sadness must never go away, and always difficult at this time.flowers

witchygran Sun 06-Mar-16 16:54:58

Please may I add my thoughts to all those who are sad today? Sending much love and light to you all.

Mrsdof Sun 06-Mar-16 10:51:43

Oh wow, what a sad but inspirational post. Much love and hugs to all those who are struggling today of all days flowers

annsixty Sun 06-Mar-16 10:39:03

flowers for you all.
No comfort but I hope it helps just a little to know we have you all in our thoughts.

janbattle Sun 06-Mar-16 10:34:46

This Mothers Day is hard as it is also the week of what should have been my son's 43rd birthday. I try to remain cheerful on Mothers Day for my daughter and her family,but there is always the thought that I should have two cards,not one. My son took his own life at 23, but he left behind a daughter,so I will always have something of him. He and his father,who died last year are together in the cemetery a short walk away and I go when I can.

Worlass Sun 06-Mar-16 10:22:29

My heart aches for all of you mourning the loss of loved ones. flowers

Falconbird Sun 06-Mar-16 10:02:40

Can't find the words so .... flowers

harrysgran Sun 06-Mar-16 09:41:02

Lovely thoughtful words it's such a sad day for for some.

westieyaya Sun 06-Mar-16 09:40:35

I lost my mother many years ago, but it still hurts, especially when supermarkets email me every day with their don't forget flowers for your mother message

Judthepud2 Sat 05-Mar-16 23:26:37

And flowers from me Kupari and all those mothers who will be missing their lost children tomorrow.

cornergran Sat 05-Mar-16 18:37:40

[hugs] and flowersto all who are sad tomorrow.

Iam64 Sat 05-Mar-16 18:30:16

What a sensitive and thoughtful OP Imperfect. Thank you. There are many ways to lose a child and Mothering Sunday does remind us of that flowers

granjura Sat 05-Mar-16 17:42:24

Such sad and moving stories, so yes more flowers and (((hugs))) to those who are grieving children or grand-children.

It's sad to lose a mother or father- but it is in the nature of things. No parent should have to mourn a child or a grand-child.

Imperfect27 Sat 05-Mar-16 17:38:11

It is a very sad time for bereaved children. Brenda - so sad for your GCs and I hope the school tried to offer special support - they should have made some provision when other children were making Mother's Day cards. We have bereavement counsellors that come into school and met with children - hopefully your GCs can benefit from something like this in time. xx

Synonymous Sat 05-Mar-16 17:21:26

Blessings and flowers to all those grieving.

mrsjones Sat 05-Mar-16 17:11:12

My thoughts are with you imp and all others who have lost a child. I am also thinking of the children who no longer have a mum to make or buy a card for. A friend of mine died 2 years ago leaving 2 children under 12. They miss their mum every day but special days like tomorrow are always hard.

Imperfect27 Sat 05-Mar-16 15:58:18

So many kind words here. I am glad Gransnet have provided a place for us to share and hopefully support one another along the way. XXX

mumofmadboys Sat 05-Mar-16 15:48:37

My thought and prayers are with you who have lost a child especially tomorrow.

thatbags Sat 05-Mar-16 14:47:43

And a virtual hug for you too, imp.