Gransnet forums

Bereavement

I miss my MiL

(27 Posts)
Ana Thu 06-Apr-17 15:12:10

Oh, please tell your husband how you feel - she was his mum of course so he must have realised how close you were. I'm sure he and your DIL would understand your wish to have a small token to remember her by - I do feel for you...sad

morethan2 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:07:37

My MiL died in January. We had our ups and downs and she often poked her nose in. Mainly because she loved her son, my husband. We argued but never held a grudge. She often confided in me. I suppose it was easier because we didn't have any baggage. Our relationship matured over 40+ years and we came to love each other and we were very close. I lost my own mother at 22 so in a way she became a surrogate. A few days ago my husband received a text asking for his details to pay in his share of the estate. It's not much about £3000 + more than we expected. It's forced me to realise I'll never see her again. I've been so busy comforting her daughter that I hadn't really thought of it. Today I feel really tearful. I can't share this with her daughter who is still distraught. I don't want to upset my husband. I feel as if my own family and freinds might feel "she was only your MiL" but she was part of my whole married life. I'd love a memento but feel awful asking because I'm only the DiL. I'm telling you because I can't tell anyone else.