Gransnet forums

Bereavement

My beautiful cat died yesterday.

(48 Posts)
Deni1963 Tue 04-Sep-18 11:33:16

It has been such an awful year. My husbands affairs, all the turmoil, my mother affectively cutting me out of her life after I called her out spreading untruth rumours about me, and now yesterday my beautiful boy from Egypt ( he was a caged cat outside a pet shop where they leave them to die) was put to sleep.
He was 6 years old suffering many complications. Finally a tumour. He wouldn't have survived a general anaesthetic.
I had to make a decision and he was clearly in pain and had stopped eating among mouth complications ....
I feel this year has been too much.
He was such a beautiful soul, despite humans treating him so terribly he still loved humans and constantly purred. He was still purring when he went to sleep. Just loved us.
Feeling quite lost today.

Alima Tue 04-Sep-18 11:35:37

Heartfelt sympathies Denil. Such a sad time when we lose a beloved pet. So young too.

Teetime Tue 04-Sep-18 11:37:35

I'm so sorry Denil963 flowers

Chewbacca Tue 04-Sep-18 11:45:51

So sorry Denil; I know exactly how you must be feeling today and you have my utmost sympathy.

Bathsheba Tue 04-Sep-18 11:49:04

So sorry to read this Denil - I know how hard it is to lose a much-loved pet, and your dear cat was really far too young. So sad flowers

TwiceAsNice Tue 04-Sep-18 11:54:36

So sorry for you cats are are so lovely

JudyJudy12 Tue 04-Sep-18 11:54:45

I am so sorry for your loss. You were brave to end his suffering.

Luckygirl Tue 04-Sep-18 11:56:43

I am very sorry - you will miss him. Well done for making such a difficult decision. flowers

SueDonim Tue 04-Sep-18 11:58:10

I'm so sorry. flowers

paddyann Tue 04-Sep-18 11:58:40

So sorry for your loss,we lost our 2 year old cat 6 weeks ago and it has surprised me how badly both my OH and I have taken it .No more cats here though much as we miss him it would be a constant worry every time it left the house .

hopeful1 Tue 04-Sep-18 12:11:56

flowers

Squiffy Tue 04-Sep-18 12:27:52

So sorry to read your post Deni. Our pets rip our emotions apart, don't they? What a lucky cat he was that you took him in and made him part of your life. flowers

shysal Tue 04-Sep-18 12:38:23

What sad news! sad flowers

Scribbles Tue 04-Sep-18 12:52:28

I'm so sorry to read of your loss, Deni . I know how much it hurts but try to remember that you gave him a good life and made him happy in place of the wretched existence he previously had. ?

Anniebach Tue 04-Sep-18 12:54:34

I am so very sorry, you will grieve but hold onto the thought of his life if you hadn’t saved him. You did right then and your decision to part with him was right too.

I send you hugs x

merlotgran Tue 04-Sep-18 13:13:20

Sorry to hear about your cat, Deni These things are never easy. flowers

glammanana Tue 04-Sep-18 13:22:20

Deni So sorry to hear of your loss,just try and remember what a special 6yrs your lovely friend had with you.x

Nonnie Tue 04-Sep-18 13:32:03

No words of comfort, just sympathy. Nothing can compensate for such a loss.

GillT57 Tue 04-Sep-18 14:21:02

It hurts doesn't it. You must take comfort from the good years you gave him, from what you saved him from. He died purring, with his favourite person at his side, that is a wonderful calm end to a life, albeit too soon. You have done a wonderful kind thing and your cat knew you loved him.

humptydumpty Tue 04-Sep-18 14:52:06

You did a wonderful thing to save him from his fate in Egypt, and gave him a happy life for the time he had, very very best wishes and condolences.

Glitterknitbaby Tue 04-Sep-18 15:06:50

I know just how you feel as have had it happen to me with my beloved dog.
The thing to remember is the wonderful pleasure he gave to you and the wonderful life that you gave to him, six years that I’m sure neither of you would have missed for the world.

sodapop Tue 04-Sep-18 15:17:44

You have gone through an awful time Denil then to lose your lovely cat, I can see why you feel so sad. Like everyone else has said take comfort from the fact you saved him from a terrible life. You both gave each other love and companionship. In the end you did the very best you could and no pet could ask for more.
Take care of yourself now flowers

JuneS Tue 04-Sep-18 15:37:56

As someone who love animals and had to have pets PTS I can feel so much for you. I still remember and love my pets from the past. Like you I have a little cat with a tumour but it is not yet causing her any distress She is still comfortable and herself but on Metacam daily.
I hope that the photo I am uploading will bring you a little comfort. When my last cat was PTS I sent out the words, If her spirit lives on, show me a feather. I expected to find a white birds feather. The next morning at sunrise the following was in the sky. Made from aircraft trails but all the other trails were straight. I call it Sophies Feathers. I like to think that she is free of pain and still living somewhere. Take care.x

kathsue Tue 04-Sep-18 16:15:04

flowers

1974cookie Tue 04-Sep-18 18:06:53

My heart goes out to you.
Your beloved Cat had a brief life Denil, but he was lucky to have found someone who loved him so very, very much.
Comfort yourself with the knowledge that with you he felt safe, happy, and so much loved.
flowersflowersflowers