Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Lost baby

(48 Posts)
Mumsyface Thu 06-Dec-18 14:41:52

Although I have had a quick look through the forums I couldn’t find a thread relating to miscarried grandchildren, so here goes. Apologies in advance if it’s been discussed many times already.
My son and his girlfriend are having a baby - and, of course I’m thrilled to bits about it. It’ll be my fifth grandchild, so not a novelty like the first one but still a wonderful surprise. Apparently it was a surprise for them too. Nothing too unusual there although they are having to adapt their entire life plan as they both have children from previous relationships, hadn’t planned more and hadn’t formally or publicly committed themselves to anything other than having a good time. The young lady was quite ill earlier this year and the doc/hospital said she’d moscarried an ectopic pregnancy. A few weeks later she had a scan to determine the state of her insides and lo and behold it transpired she was four months pregnant.
I’m pleased with my son as he is being properly responsible about it, supporting her and preparing for renewed fatherhood and the new baby even though I t was something they didn’t plan for, has disrupted their travel plans and will be a financial burden.
I now find myself wondering if she miscarried a twin and feeling some loss and grief......is this a normal thing for me to feel? Have I lost a grandchild, or am I just being fanciful and silly...?

harrigran Fri 07-Dec-18 17:37:40

I grieved with my DS and DIL when they lost their second, very much wanted child. I was the only person in the extended family who had experienced a miscarriage, mine was at 16 weeks and 5 days.
I tried to reassure DIL that she had been pregnant before and it would happen again but she said she feared she was running out of time being in her late thirties. She got pregnant five months later and she had a perfect baby at full term.

You are not being silly, it is a perfectly natural response.

EllanVannin Fri 07-Dec-18 17:51:43

I too would say it's a normal and natural response, of course it is. It's not something that you ever forget and neither should you as it was a life that had just begun but sadly didn't finish the journey. It's still a bereavement.

Solitaire Fri 07-Dec-18 18:30:16

I agree with Gabriella it's not helpful to dwell on what might have been.
I had 3 miscarriages, at 6 months, 4 months and 3 months. With lots of medical support I went on to have 3 very healthy babies and never grieve over those I lost.
I wouldn't have the fab children and gandchildren I have now, had the first 3 survived.

Brismum Fri 07-Dec-18 19:18:30

But you might have done Solitaire!

Mumsyface Fri 07-Dec-18 20:02:46

I’m amazed at how comforted I feel due to all your kind words. Thank you all so much.
Of course I am filled with love for the new baby and determined to spoil him in exactly the same way I been spoiling the others for the last thirteen years.
And I do now feel much more able to talk about it, move forward and welcome my new grandson when he arrives.

GabriellaG Fri 07-Dec-18 21:19:29

GillT57
Do I care? Not at all.
I asked GN to remove one post from here which was on the wrong thread, which I explained.
I'm not interested in drowning people in sympathy, I'm a realist and, while some might bemoan the loss as mentioned by the OP, my view was/is that it could be viewed as a blessing in disguise, especially as neither parent had made plans for 1 never mind 2 children.
It's possibly a trauma for the mother but not really for the mother of the boyfriend who she wasn't in an LTR with...IMO.
I'm not dissing the vast majority who are relating their own stories along similar lines and writing sympathetic messages. I mean, sympathy for the mother of a man who's got (an)other child(ren) and who has fathered another to someone with whom he's not in a serious relationship?
I thought that I would bring some levity to the thread.
Thanks for your input but you are not the OP and the OP has not questioned my comment.
grin

Mumsyface Fri 07-Dec-18 21:41:16

Wow!
If you don’t care and aren’t interested why are you posting?
Levity? I suggest you go take a look in the dictionary for the meaning of this word.
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to mine. I wonder what happened to you to make you so...... acidic. Happy Christmas!

Brismum Fri 07-Dec-18 22:52:50

Well said Mumsyface. Glad you’re feeling comforted. Enjoy the new baby ? smile

GabriellaG Fri 07-Dec-18 23:09:58

Mumsyface
THAT comment at 21:19 was to GillT57 not to you. Ok?

Initially, you asked a question. I gave my answer. If you are not prepared to hear from both sides of the divide, this may be the wrong platform.
There are numerous sympathetic messages and numerous stories of their own losses by other GNers. I have not dissed them and I don't expect my views to be dissed either.
IMO it's like someone saying that I can say anything I like, as long as it's what they want to hear.

GabriellaG Fri 07-Dec-18 23:11:54

A lot of als on here.

Mumsyface Fri 07-Dec-18 23:17:29

Is this an example of “trolling”?
This no longer feels like a safe place to be. So, thanks to all of those who offered kind words I’m out of here now.

moggie57 Sat 08-Dec-18 01:53:20

this christmas i would light a candle for the unborn child.. a life is a life whether born or not. no you not being silly.i havent experienced this .but i do care for the children un -born. they are at peace.

annep Sat 08-Dec-18 04:32:08

I'm sure there's a better word than diss.

GabriellaG Sat 08-Dec-18 11:32:38

annep
Agreed, however, as the people posting on here are many and varied and in countries other than the UK, I deemed it a well enough known word for it to be understood by all.
At least it was the correct spelling wink unlike some comments where I have posted corrections and been roundly castigated for doing so grin

paddyann Sat 08-Dec-18 14:07:09

Strangely I sort of agree with GG I've had losses from 7 weeks and I can honestly say the earlier the loss was the shorter the grief.I'm not for one minute saying I forgot them and I could give you the dates of both the miscarriage and the due date if asked but I do think the modern way of dwelling on it isn't helpful.There has to come a time when you come to terms with an early loss and move forward.
Thats more difficult the further on in the pregnancy you are and I freely admit I still grieve for the baby lost 4 days after her birth...42 years later .I dont grieve in the same way for her twin lost at 11 weeks or for the other babies lost before 12 weeks either .
I do hope the OP's new GC is born safely and is healthy with a long and happy life ahead and thats probably what she should be thinking of and not dwelling on what could have been .

annep Sun 09-Dec-18 19:04:58

Sorry GG very rude of me. It just doesn't sound like a real word. I had to look it up to check the meaning.

moonbeames Fri 14-Dec-18 04:39:33

Harsh GabriellaG.

Vickixx Wed 02-Jan-19 23:22:54

Mumsyface, I have one wonderful grandchild and my son & dil are desperate for a sibling. There have been four miscarriages in the past two years. They’ve all been very early stage with the latest one at 3/4 months being very traumatic. I think feeling a sense of grief and loss is natural. I know for me it was as if I was totally empathising with their own feelings,along with feeling personal loss but we support and love them and I know it will happen one day.

mcem Thu 03-Jan-19 00:10:11

mumsyface you have to realise that GG's consistently unpleasant posts are far from typical of the average post on this site. The supportive posts are far closer to the norm.
I suggest you try reading a few different threads and weigh up what you think.

Mumsyface Thu 03-Jan-19 10:12:58

Mcem, thank you. I have noticed this on other threads as well.

Nonnie Thu 03-Jan-19 11:10:38

I am so glad that people talk about this these days. I am sure it helps a lot of people and I believe there is a charity for those who have miscarried and a place where you can put a memorial.

When I suffered with miscarriages and a dead twin some felt it shouldn't be talked about and my own mother blamed me.

I haven't experienced this loss as a grandparent but I think I understand it. All these years later and I still sometimes cry when I hear something on the radio which reminds me. I think you should allow yourself to grieve and be open to letting family talk about it if they want to but not to push it if they don't. Big hug.

megan123 Thu 03-Jan-19 12:25:33

mummyface you are not being silly at all. Grief is grief and people deal with it in different ways. My youngest daughter had a miscarriage at four months, it was dreadful, I got the call at work to go to the hospital, her dad was already there when I arrived. It was awful. She went on to have more children eventually, but that baby is never forgotten.