Gransnet forums

Bereavement

I just can't turn sad memories into happy memories.

(102 Posts)
bikergran Sun 05-May-19 08:19:03

I don't know if anyone else has this problem but!

You know when loved ones have died and you look/visit back at holidays/places you visited/days out/eating out etc etc. People say it brings back happy memories.

But for me it just makes me more sad and unhappy,because that person you shared those places with are not here any more.

I look at photos but they make me so sad.

(We are talking almost 5 yrs on now from late dh)

Yesterday I went on a coach trip to Llandudno I did start another thread up about solo coach trips)

Anyway off I went , it was blue sky(bitter cold though)!

A victorian festival was going on right through the tows so it was very busy which was great.

I sat on the prom, but all I could think about was dh wasn't here.I can't seem to get round the "making happy memories bit no matter how hard I try) to me they are just sad memories.

It didn't help when I rung my mum and she said "oh your making your memories and when "we" pass over you will have your memories of when we all go there. .

Does anyone else find this difficult, I hear so many people say "oh I have such lovely memories of such and such"
But I feel like I'm living on a different planet.

annsixty Fri 10-May-19 11:13:11

Izabella I can't offer wise words , I have none.
Just live for today, enjoy what you do and do those things often.
It is very brave of you to acknowledge what is happening, my H never did, he just "had a bad memory".
That made life very difficult for both of us and frankly spoilt our last years together.
He just reacted badly and got so frustrated .
Let your CH love you and spoil you and enjoy all the things you both like doing.
He will have the happiest of memories and will remind you of his joy.