Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Daughter

(81 Posts)
debohunXL5 Thu 16-May-19 15:59:22

Today I have received a letter from my estranged SIL informing me that he has scattered my daughter's ashes in accordance with her Will.on 24th April. Our grandchildren aged 7 and 9 attended the ceremony reading their own Eulogy and choosing a song from Jess Glynne. He has sent photos and instructions of the location they have been scattered in our local woods. I know I should be grateful that he has informed me of this but as the letter was written as if from a Solicitor (very formal). I feel he has only informed me because I was an Executor of her Will and he is duty bound to inform me. Despite this I now feel she has come 'home' as he is now living some 3 hours away from us and it is some comfort to know she is nearby. There is a lot of animosity between us because of our separation from our grandchildren but I would think it may be a good idea to just say 'thank you and to ask him to pass on our love and thoughts to our grandchildren. It seems like closure to us and he has made a life with our grandchildren without us. Should we now just not try to contact him at all and leave them to get on with their lives and us with ours. It breaks our hearts every single day not to see or talk to them We have no contact with them, no address but we may be able to find out an e-mail address so that I could just say 'thank you and send our love. After all he could have left us in the dark and not tell us and we would have been none the wiser. I am asking GNs really should I just move on with our lives because it is causing us so much pain to hope we will ever see them again. Sorry for the long thread. Over to you please.sad

BradfordLass72 Sun 19-May-19 04:40:15

As you have some contact with a solicitor, I wonder if sending letters via this agency to be given, in person to your grand-children by the lawyer, would ensure they got them?

Just short notes saying how much you love them and think about them - nothing Dad could object to as he will surely read them as well.

Of course you may think this would make things worse.

It truly is a very sad story and I hope you can try to look after yourself and DH now so that when your grand-children do contact you (live in hope smile) you are able to enjoy them.

debohunXL5 Fri 07-Jun-19 15:42:07

Thank you for all your messages of sympathy and advice. I did send an e-mail to him. Short and sweet just saying 'thank you' and asking him to send our thoughts and love to our grandchildren. That was 3 weeks ago. No response. The Will was done and dusted in 2017. His Solicitors made matters worse between us so I will not be contacting them. When we sent a Solicitor's letter last year he used another Solicitor for his reply to the one dealing with the Will. Pointing out to us that he does not want any contact direct from us. Using Solicitors all the time costs money we do not have. Besides which we have no address or telephone number. My hatred of him knows no bounds and I am probably cutting my nose off to spite my face but I just cannot find forgiveness. I cannot pray I do not believe in God. People say there will be Karma but I fear it will be too late. I just hope that the children will contact us when they are old enough and we are still here. By the way my grandchildren are a boy and a girl not two girls. sad.

silverlining48 Fri 07-Jun-19 17:43:48

Debo I am really sorry that you have had no response, but you gave it another try so have done your best in what is an absolutely awful situation.
I have no advice. You are rightly angry. However its not good for either you or your husband. If you havnt already done so might it help to talk this through. Perhaps contact compassionate friends who i think help parents who have lost a child. I know this is about your grandchildren but because of all the trouble you have had since she died, you may not have had the chance to properly grieve the tragic loss of your daughter.

debohunXL5 Mon 10-Jun-19 19:55:04

silverlinings I am already in touch with Compassionate friends. It is good to speak to others but I haven't met anyone in the same situation as us. It is quite heartbreaking to hear some of the other's situations. I know lots of you have said continue to send cards and gifts but it is so heartbreaking to get them back again. I have stopped sending gifts and we are putting money away for the children at each birthday and christmas in the hope one day we will be able to give it to them. The only address we can send them to is SIL's best friend's mum but we do not know if she gives them to them. I fear she worries to do so will mean SIL will cut her off as well. That is what he is like. I have written to her to say we will continue to send cards to the children at her address until she says stop, that is all we can do because he has sent a Solicitor's letter to tell us not to contact him direct. I chanced e-mailing him. I wouldn't be surprised if he sent another Solicitor's letter telling us once again not to contact him. sad

silverlining48 Tue 11-Jun-19 16:27:38

It’s so terribly sad. You have done all you can and can only wait and hope that your grandchildren eventually contact you. If they are young it may be a while, so in the meantime I wish you peace. Take time for yourselves, you deserve it, you have been through so much sorrow.