Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Late husband's hoard

(56 Posts)
TillyWhiz Mon 02-Sep-19 10:57:49

I am clearing out our garage after DH died 6 months ago. I was allowed to sweep it (at my insistence) occasionally but he hated me "poking around" in there. We have not been able to put the car in it for some years. As a hint, I put a bin in there but it never had much placed in it. Now I have nearly filled a small skip! It has made me feel so depressed and tearful at the sheer and utter useless junk I am finding which he kept "just in case it would be useful" ie to save money. Have others had this?

Cabbie21 Sat 14-Sep-19 21:44:22

Recently I selected a few collectibles to get rid of. DH said, if you get rid of them, I will replace them!! There is no hope.

TillyWhiz Sat 14-Sep-19 23:21:24

BlueSapphire Tool Aid pass tools their volunteers have refurbished to Tools for Self Reliance for shipping out. They also take old computers and computer accessories. toolaidringwood.org.uk

grandtanteJE65 Tue 17-Sep-19 12:21:06

So sorry for your loss. We went through eight skips when we cleared my father's house. He had outlived my mother by seven years and they were both hoarders.

It was hard, but I tried to console myself by the thought that some of what they had kept had sentimental value for them, and all "the things that might come in useful" and 20 years worth of bank statements, receipted bills and income tax returns had somehow given them a sense of security.

The experience has made me very, very careful of how much and what we keep!

newnanny Tue 17-Sep-19 12:38:18

I am afraid my dh is a terrible hoarder and he also insists on having all of the the tools that come out just to do a simple job. He has about five drills and tries to justify this by telling me they are all for doing slightly different jobs. My BiL who is far far better at DIY has far less tools and keeps his shed very tidy. I get frustrated as I would like the garage made into another reception room but dh refuses to clear it out and will not allow me to touch any of his precious tools. Every time dh has a birthday or Xmas he actively seeks out new tools. He has poor health now and can no longer use the bloody tools much. He just seems to take pride in having a very large collection and enjoys lending them to friends and family. It is a family joke if you need a tool ask dh as he has more than B&Q.

newnanny Tue 17-Sep-19 12:39:10

Sorry for your loss.