Gransnet forums

Bereavement

House Clearance

(52 Posts)
GrandmaKT Wed 25-Sep-19 00:16:11

My dear pop died this week. Fortunately he was a good age (90), and all his children managed to visit him in hospital before he passed away.
We all live over a hundred miles away and as the other siblings are still working and I have recently retired, I am doing most of the organising.
Currently I am tied up with death certuficate, funeral arrangements etc, but I have hanging over me the thoughts about clearing his belongings.
Friends whose parents have died have had their own homes so they could do this at their leisure, when they felt ready, or else were in homes and didn't have much in the way of furniture etc.
My dad was in rented accommodation (supported hiusing). We have 4 weeks to vacate the property. There isn't much of any value, but what there is is bulky (mobility scooter, electric chair, TV). I am thinking of trying to sell these on Fb or ebay and then getting a house clearance firm in to take away everything else. Does this sound the right way? Does anyone have any experience with house clearances etc?
I really don't feel ready to deal with this, but circumstances mean I have to! I can't stay here for long and as I said we only have 4 weeks anyway.

holliebutleruk Fri 13-May-22 10:21:21

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.