Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Mr Scribbles

(85 Posts)
Scribbles Tue 21-Jan-20 22:14:15

Many kind GNers have expressed their love and concern and said prayers for my OH after I told on the "Prayer" thread of his being hit by a car and seriously injured.

Sadly, there is no good news to report. Despite the skill and care of the dedicated team in ICU at Queens Medical Centre, his injuries proved insurmountable and the decision was made, with the full and informed support of Daughter and me, to withdraw life support.

I held his hand, that loving hand, as he died and know that we were right to let him suffer no further pain. But now I have to face a future without my best friend at my side and have no idea if or how I will cope.

The awfulness is compounded by the requirement for a Home Office post mortem which means it will be at least another week before we can have the death certificate and begin the turgid process of registering the death, notifying all and sundry bureaucratic bodies and arranging a funeral.

I know that many of you have trod this road before me and so will understand the lonely, lonely prospect of waking every day without him. Daughter, friends, neighbours, even the police are all wonderfully kind but nothing will ever make up for knowing that loving, gentle and steadfast man is gone forever and I will never hear his voice again.
Farewell, my darling.

Dollymac Tue 21-Jan-20 23:56:38

Scribbles, I didn't see your previous post, I am so sorry to hear your very sad news
Please know that I am thinking about you and your family and you all have my very best wishes at this very sad time
Take the very best care of yourselves
This post is sent with much love ?

Kalu Tue 21-Jan-20 23:57:19

My heart goes out to you Scribbles and can only imagine the sadness you are going through. Wishing you strength for the days ahead and hope you have loving support around you ?

Remember you having many friends here to who will always lend support too. X

V3ra Tue 21-Jan-20 23:59:28

Heartbreaking news for all your family. So sad x

grannyqueenie Wed 22-Jan-20 00:41:00

That’s very sad news for you Scribbles, not the way you hoped things would go. Thinking of you in these early days. flowers

gillybob Wed 22-Jan-20 04:25:04

So very sorry to hear your sad news Scribbles I had no idea your DH was on life support . My own DH spent almost 3 months on LS at the end of 2019 where life really does just hang by a thread. You absolutely right about the dedication of the ICU staff, I’m just sorry that your DH’s injuries were so severe they were unable to save him.

Thinking of you and your family and wishing you much strength over the coming weeks, you must be exhausted .

flowers xx

kittylester Wed 22-Jan-20 06:12:54

There are no words scribbles, but I have been thinking about you. Please use gn if it helps.

GranEd Wed 22-Jan-20 06:27:48

So sorry. Thinking of you and your family at this sad time. xx ?

lemongrove Wed 22-Jan-20 06:30:23

Oh Scribbles I am so sorry to hear this awful news,I had no idea as haven’t looked at the prayer thread recently so didn’t hear of his accident.
What a tragic loss for you.flowersHeartfelt condolences from me too.

vena11 Wed 22-Jan-20 06:43:45

I am so sorryflowers

Bellasnana Wed 22-Jan-20 06:54:06

How very tragic to lose your husband in such a dreadful manner. I am sorry I did not see your earlier post but please accept my heartfelt condolences on your loss.

This morning I am having coffee with a dear friend whose husband was killed by a taxi as he was crossing the road at the airport on 28th Dec. They had just returned from a lovely holiday with family and he was going to fetch the car from the car park when tragedy struck.

I wish you the courage you need to press on, and hope you have plenty of support to help you through. flowers

Beechnut Wed 22-Jan-20 07:06:12

Deepest condolences I am sending to you and your daughter Scribbles. ?

M0nica Wed 22-Jan-20 07:30:30

My deepest sympathy Scribbles, on the death of your beloved husband

Grammaretto Wed 22-Jan-20 07:37:19

Such very sad news Scribbles .
Wishing you strength in the coming weeks.

sodapop Wed 22-Jan-20 07:51:18

You have my sympathy too Scribbles must be an awful time for you and your family. I hope you find comfort and peace in the time to come thanks

LullyDully Wed 22-Jan-20 07:55:26

flowers

Greyduster Wed 22-Jan-20 07:56:14

Heartfelt sympathy to you and your family, Scribbles. I wish you strength for the days ahead.

love0c Wed 22-Jan-20 07:59:06

So very very sorry for the loss of your dear husband Scribbles. thanks I hope in the coming days you and your daughter can support each other through this terrible time.

Pittcity Wed 22-Jan-20 08:00:07

Sending you virtual ((hugs)) Scribbles

Sark Wed 22-Jan-20 08:02:20

I am so sorry to hear your sad news Scribbles and am thinking about you and your family.
Many years ago I lost my young husband in similar circumstances and just want to send love and strength to you.
Some one said to me at the time " I wish you strength but remember you don't have to be strong all the time... be kind to yourselfthanks

Ginny42 Wed 22-Jan-20 08:05:19

Scribbles I don't think I've ever read such a moving tribute on the loss of a dear husband. He was very special. Take care of yourself as he would have wished. flowers

Birdwatcher4 Wed 22-Jan-20 08:05:52

Grief is the price you pay for love ..... and what a hefty price it is ?

Jessity Wed 22-Jan-20 08:06:07

So very sorry to hear your dreadful news Scribbles, sending sympathy and hugs. Nothing anyone can say will help but you are in my thoughts flowers

timetogo2016 Wed 22-Jan-20 08:09:02

I can only send you my heart felt thoughts Scribbles at this sad time.
Keep your strength up and I send love to you and yours.

Urmstongran Wed 22-Jan-20 08:12:56

Adding my sincere condolences to the others on here Scribbles. You must be absolutely heartbroken in your grief. x

Auntieflo Wed 22-Jan-20 08:14:09

Oh Scribbles, my heart goes out to you at this very sad time.
What a beautiful post you have written, and much has been already said. sending you and your daughter {{{hugs}}} and love.