Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Heard my name called

(105 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:40:57

After Both my parents died, and quite a few years between both of their passings, I distinctly heard them call my name, my dad did within the first week, and my mum did few days after she’d passed, I will also add I definately was NOT dreaming and it was in the early hours, Anyone Else experienced this

Marmight Sun 01-Mar-20 01:19:52

Not long after I moved/downsized hundreds of miles from our family home to be closer to my DDs and was worried whether I’d done the right thing & was feeling generally out of my comfort zone, I woke suddenly in the wee small hours to see my late DH at the bottom of the bed smiling (he always smiled) telling me that everything would be ok - and then he was gone. I’m very sceptical about Post death ‘appearances’. I want to believe it was him but just wonder if it was just the continuation of a dream .... He has never appeared since then ?

May7 Sun 01-Mar-20 02:17:02

When I had my second child in hospital I experienced this and it scared the life out of me. It repeated again about 2 weeks after I came home from maternity hospital and my DH proved to me I was actually ASLEEP. I read about it afterwards and yes lemongrove you are correct. It's when your body is asleep but your brain hasn't quite got there and it's quite common particularly if you are anxious or stressed or just over stimulated. (New baby)
I was very relieved at the time for my DH to prove me wrong as that doesn't happen very often grin

NemosMum Sun 01-Mar-20 10:37:26

It's a common experience of the bereaved, especially in the early stages. I have experienced it myself. It usually occurs just after settling to sleep or in the waking phases: hypnogogic or hypnopompic 'dreaming'. There's nothing other-worldly about it, it's just your brain doing its stuff.

bunny17 Sun 01-Mar-20 10:41:08

I've heard mum do this ( she is alive)

inishowen Sun 01-Mar-20 10:43:00

The night after mums funeral I was in bed sobbing. A really bright light appeared on the ceiling, then gradually faded away. I had an overwhelming feeling of peace. It was like mums last communication with me.

Allsaints55 Sun 01-Mar-20 10:49:21

Trendy Nannie 6 . That was so good to hear your experience. I had gone on holiday to Spain shortly after my Dad passed away . In bed as clear as anything my name called in my ear . The name he used for me .It did freak me as I don’t believe in these things . But too much of a coincidence x

Magrithea Sun 01-Mar-20 10:51:06

Haven't heard their voices but my dear Dad visited both my Mum and I after he passed - we both had a similar experience at about the same time of sensing/seeing him when in a relaxed state.

glammanana Sun 01-Mar-20 10:52:55

I have heard my lovely husbands voice a few times since he left me in December its as if he is still in the room, as though he is still here with me it is so comforting.

anxiousgran Sun 01-Mar-20 11:05:26

It by the posts it seems common. Our local cancer care centre did some research on this some years ago.

I really would love to hear my Mum’s voice or feel her near me like others have. I miss her so much, and there is so much I would have liked to have told her but didn’t.

heidimargaret Sun 01-Mar-20 11:11:34

Many years ago I saw my mum at the bottom of my bed and I said "mum". The vision never moved suddenly I realised it was my maternal Grandmother watching over me from heaven, this has stayed with me my entire life.

dogsmother Sun 01-Mar-20 11:20:56

My mother’s steadying voice during the day of her funeral.
I feel it was mostly me who kept everything going and everyone chipper.
But it was her who kept me going when I wobbled.

Coconut Sun 01-Mar-20 11:33:01

One of my dearest friends was killed by a vile joyrider 2 weeks ago, she was a proper Aunty to my 3AC and they adored her, so all are very upset like me. My DD went for a pre booked appt with a Kinseologist and when the lady asked how DD was, she told her our distressing news. The lady then said, “is she a short woman with a blond bob ? “ DD asked how she could possibly know that, and the lady said” because she is standing beside you and wants you to know that she is ok” .....

harrigran Sun 01-Mar-20 11:35:24

It happens in split second between sleep and awake, it is like your computer booting and you hear random noises.
I hear shouts, bangs and most prolifically the doorbell.
The brain is very complex and can create all sorts of scenarios, you should see some of my dreams.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 01-Mar-20 11:36:11

Buffybee what a lovely experience

TrendyNannie6 Sun 01-Mar-20 11:49:13

Allsaints55 thankyou, so glad to hear of your experience too, it’s wonderful isnt it, when I first heard my mums voice it was a calm calling of my name, as before she died her voice was in distress when she called me, so it was even more comforting to hear. Although obviously I wasn’t expecting anything: my dads voice however was louder in the voice he used when younger, not the softly spoken voice he had when Was ill before dying, I’m certainly not scared about dying, life goes on

Damdee Sun 01-Mar-20 11:53:09

On the day of my mother's funeral - after a very long day - I drove home alone. Obviously I was thinking about my mother, and the cremation, and for some reason I spoke aloud 'But don't worry Mummy because that is not really you' - I meant her dead body. Then I switched on the car radio and it was playing Brahms Lullaby which was the piece I had chosen to be played as the coffin came into the crem. I felt it was a sign from my mother that she was still with me. Later on in the drive, I suddenly could smell flowers - so strongly that I twisted round in the seat, to look at the back seat, to see if I had brought any of the funeral flowers home with me - which I knew I hadn't! There were no flowers there of course but I felt that was another sign from my mother. I have never heard her voice again - except on old cine and video.

vampirequeen Sun 01-Mar-20 12:12:00

This has happened to me. Sometimes I smell my dad's baccy as well.

justwokeup Sun 01-Mar-20 12:18:14

Coconut, my cousin, who is a very down-to-earth person, had a similar experience. A customer he went to visit told him he could see a presence standing beside him smiling. The customer gave the name, and described exactly, an uncle my cousin had been very fond of. My no-nonsense cousin was completely unperturbed! I hear DF's voice quite clearly in some situations but it's inside my head and I think I carry him with me. It does bring me comfort though.

Alexa Sun 01-Mar-20 12:47:10

Many people experience hallucinations involving a loved one during grief and mourning.

Kryptonite Sun 01-Mar-20 13:01:48

I love threads like this. Brings such comfort. My mother used to say she could hear me moving about upstairs after I moved out! She has been in the same big old house now for nearly 70 years and there is nothing scary or creepy about it. It would be so wonderful if we could communicate telepathically with our special loved ones at will. Some say we do this when both think of doing the same thing at the same time. Has happened with me and my own daughter a few times now.

spabbygirl Sun 01-Mar-20 13:37:29

I love this thread too, I know there is life after death, I have a photo of what looks like a cloud of mist in a house in which there was nothing and I believe it is a spirit. I've heard/felt similar too. I was upset when a local teenager committed suicide, I'm a social worker and could have helped her had I known. But she spoke to me and said she was ok & thanked me for my concern

grandmaz Sun 01-Mar-20 13:40:03

Both my parents died over thirty years ago, within a year of one another. A few days after my mother's death, my youngest daughter who was about eight years old, told me that Grandma had come and sat on her bed, during the night and asked her whether she was allright, then gone away. My elder daughter who slept in the same room remained asleep and knew nothing of it.

Occasionally I do hear my mother's voice, just speaking my name, nothing else...but it's right beside me, as though she is within touching distance. I can't recall her voice when I'm awake, sadly, but in this sleeping state, when I hear her, I know without a doubt that it is indeed, my mother. It used to scare me in the early days, in case she was trying to warn me of something, however if it happens now, I just appreciate hearing her gentle tones once more.

Flakesdayout Sun 01-Mar-20 14:07:13

Ive had a few strange experiences. I have seen a cat sitting on the landing - so real that I went to stroke it. Ive seen a dog walking across the landing in my home now. My sons have seen doors move. When my Father in law died I was in his house working on his computer and I felt him behind me. I said to him that it was ok as I knew what I was doing. Then I could smell him. Later we ( I was with my sons then who were quite small) could hear what seemed like moaning. That was when we left - pretty quick. I have felt someone sit on my bed and stroke my hair - this was not long after my Dad had died, and then I saw him at the end of my bed which he walked round and went through a door and up stairs. I asked him not to go but he kept walking upwards. Ive not had anything recently which is a shame as my Mum died in 2016 and I would like to have had something from her.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 01-Mar-20 14:19:18

I love threads like this too kryptonite n Spabbygirl that’s why I decided to put it up, but I did also consider before posting that not everyone had heard,Seen, sensed, smelt. Or experienced these things, and the last thing I wanted to do was to upset anyone, I’m really glad I did now as so many people have experienced things too, and if I’ve helped just one person to feel that they weren’t going mad, then that makes me happy, incidentally I’ve had many many experiences over the years since a child but I won’t be putting them on here,

timetogo2016 Sun 01-Mar-20 14:29:21

I have heard my name called a few times and for sure it was my mom and her actual words was S..... I`m fine love honest.
And my dad called my name and I really felt him by me.
Dad was in the daytime and mom during the night and I woke up crying my eyes out.