Gransnet forums

Bereavement

My DD in Australia has miscarried

(33 Posts)
glennie59 Thu 21-May-20 14:39:31

Hi, my first posting so please bear with me. My daughter miscarried her first child two weeks ago, and I need advice on how to help her. At the moment she will not face time but will message me if I message her. She is a nurse and is working crazy hours to distract herself, she has joined a forum for miscarriage I have talked to her about counselling but she is not willing and I hope I have avoided all the platitudes. Today she told me she was in a black place, she has told two of her friends and I should say she has a very caring husband. I myself feel like I am crying inside and all I want to do is fly over and hug her. Any advice is welcome

Molli Fri 22-May-20 11:55:49

This is very sad. Should she physically be working at this time? On the Covid briefing the other day they mentioned about a direct support line for NHS staff to support their mental and physical health at this time. Might be an option if she is receptive to the idea.

Hithere Fri 22-May-20 11:58:43

"There is little anyone outside your daughter and her OH can do apart from be supportive , even from a distance"

Very wise words.
She knows you are there of you if you need her.
Everybody grieves miscarriages differently.

I just had my 3rd miscarriage and it takes me a month to find my new normal. It is a cliche, but time helps. Working also helps get my mind off of it. After a month, I am still sad but I manage to cope better. I never forget how old those kids would be and how missed they are.

If I were your dd, and everybody is different, it would make it harder for me to deal with my miscarriage knowing the impact it had on others.

Bottom line: let her deal with it her own way. She will be ok. Give advice only if she asks.
You need to deal with your own grief. If you feel therapy can help you, go ahead.

dizzygran Fri 22-May-20 12:05:54

Lots of sympathy to you and your DD. This happened to my own DD a few years ago and she went through a vey bad time. Like your DD it was her first pregnancy. She has never forgiven her MIL for telling her it was for the best as there might have been something wrong with the baby - your daughter will in time hopefully get over this trauma This happened to my own DD and she never forgave her MIL for saying it was for the best as there might have been something wrong with the baby - not very tactful. Your DD will hopefully get over this and go on to have a family. Best to give her time. Tell you understand that it is early days and you are there for her if needed. If you think it would help send a small bunch of flowers with a note to say your thoughts are with her and her husband at this time of loss. I had a miscarriage some years ago - not my first pregnancy and that was not nice - but losing your first much wanted baby would be dreadful. sympathy to you all.

maddyone Fri 22-May-20 13:42:05

My daughter suffered miscarriages before she had her lovely children. It’s a very difficult time for everyone. All I can recommend is that you continue to message her and listen to what she says. Be there for her, it’s all you can do. So sorry. flowers

Witzend Fri 22-May-20 13:50:54

I’m so sorry, glennie59, it’s doubly hard when you’re so far away and feel so helpless. I do know how awful you must feel for her, since my dd had 2 misses before her first successful pregnancy. She was so distraught each time, by the time she was pregnant for the 3rd time I would dread the phone ringing, in case it had happened again.

But she had no. 2 baby just 15 months after no.1, and recently had no.3, no misses or other problems after those first two.
A number of her friends have been the same - one had 3 misses before her first baby.
Not that any of that is much comfort just now, I know.
All best wishes.

Nonnie Fri 22-May-20 13:59:27

I had miscarriages in the days when it was never talked about. She will have to choose her own way of coping but will get lots of help from the forum. She will get through it. I think you should be led by her about what you can do other than simply listen and only give an opinion on anything she asks you for.

Sorry , busy so not read the other posts.

Saggi Fri 22-May-20 17:00:37

I had a daughter in 1977 and then two miscarriages in ‘78 and’79.... unusual state of affairs I’m told , as miscarriages are usually the first children . If I had have had my little girl I think I would have gone screaming into the street. My husband was useless! Then much to everyone chagrin I got pregnant again and had my son in 1980.... it’s his birthday tomorrow and he’ll be on his own, working from home ...no sibling, no parents and no friends . But the mere fact of his existence in the world makes up for all the pain of those years. Your daughter will recover with the help of her hood man, and she will have her baby...just not in this horrible year.