Gransnet forums

Bereavement

What do you do....

(29 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 16-Sep-20 17:09:44

.........on those days when you just want to howl your eyes out all day and can find no point in life at all?

Thankfully it does not happen very often, but when it does.......

A friend has been round - she gets it - as her DH died two years ago - and her kindness is so valued. But nothing can take away the finality of it all.

merlotgran Mon 12-Oct-20 00:12:10

A friend told me that you suddenly realise you're coping with grief because there is a longer gap between each bout of anguish.

Hetty58 Mon 12-Oct-20 01:14:27

There is nothing wrong with having a 'good' cry.

When I lost my husband, I had four young children, so, to avoid upsetting them, I'd go for a 'quick shower' and do my crying in there!

I was aware that it seemed very important to look after myself (and them) really well. I'm still sure of that.

However bad you feel, eat well, get out for fresh air/exercise, do things you enjoy, indulge in distractions, plan treats, anything that gets you through the day. You deserve it.

Never, ever forget that things will get easier over time.

Luckygirl Mon 12-Oct-20 10:07:17

The irony of course is that when you do feel OK you feel bad about that. I had a good day yesterday and felt that a little of my spark was coming back - then I felt dreadful - how could I feel happy when he is dead?

What a journey this is.